Microsoft teases next-generation Xbox "Scarlett" in E3 promotions

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by shaunj66, Jun 9, 2019.

Front-page
    82jad892.
    Eagle eyed Twitter followers have noticed Microsoft dropping hints towards their next-generation Xbox, codenamed "Scarlett", in their daily Microsoft E3 countdown videos. In the background of the videos were clues that made up the RGB colour value of scarlet (RGB 255,36,0). Recent leaks have suggested that Microsoft's next-generation consoles internally named 'anaconda' (a high-end machine) and 'lockhart' (a lower powered machine) both share the working project codename "scarlett".
    Does this mean we will finally get to see the first glimpse of Microsoft's next-generation machine or perhaps even teasers for next-gen titles? You can find out by watching Microsoft's E3 2019 press conference which starts just over 12 hours from the time of this post. Specifically at 9PM BST, 10PM CEST, 4PM EDT and 1PM PDT.

:arrow: Source

Discussion (79 replies)
  1. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    don't know why they even bother steam has all their games now zero reason to own an xbox now. it'll be joining the dreamcast soon :lol:

D34DL1N3R, Xabring, RedoLane and 12 others like this.
  2. hamohamo

hamohamo GBAtemp Regular

Jan 16, 2017
    Fukin excited for microsoft after last year's hype presentation.

phonz likes this.
  3. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    True, Xbox One X has already shown they can't generate interest simply by loading up their consoles with high-end hardware. OTOH, Microsoft's software sales across Xbox and PC are probably enough that they can take a loss on low hardware sales without needing to panic.

Darksabre72, MarkDarkness and NoNAND like this.
  4. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 26, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    You'd struggle to build a PC that can play games in 4K for the price of an Xbox however, so in that respect the Xbox is very good value for 4K gaming on a budget.

Usually consoles are sold at a loss with the money been made back on games, so if Microsoft can sell their games to PC gamers who would probably never have purchased an Xbox in the first place it's a win / win for them.

5. leafeon34

leafeon34 Bye

Sep 30, 2014
    Japan
    Hiding up a cherry blossom
    The Xbox One does have one redeeming quality. It has not been hacked, therefore you cannot cheat. Some players praise the system for having fair online gameplay.

6. Shubshub

Shubshub The Shubinator

Oct 16, 2009
    New Zealand
    The dark part of your house
    If they reveal, Will that force Sony to reveal as well?

7. NoNAND

NoNAND GBAtemp's Official NAND multipurpose tool.

Aug 22, 2015
    Antarctica
    GhostLatte's van
    Honestly Microsoft doesn't know wheb to quit.
    Power power power and 4K that's all they think about
    And clearly that's what doesn't make a system any better

Xzi and atoxique like this.
  8. Shubshub

Shubshub The Shubinator

Oct 16, 2009
    New Zealand
    The dark part of your house
    Power can force the other competition out of the water assuming you can generate enough sales volume for your system to matter.
    Look at the PS4 and Xbox One compared to the Wii U
    You can sure as shit bet your ass that the games would cater to the Wii U if it had the sales numbers to even matter.

DRAGONBALLVINTAGE and NoNAND like this.
  9. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Ther better off naming ther next machine xbox anaconda better than the dull unimaginative one x bullshit

10. Clapmaster

Clapmaster GBAtemp Regular

Dec 3, 2009
    United States
    I don't think Xbox is going anywhere but I agree. If I can buy Forza, Halo and Gears of War on my PC I'll never mess around with another Xbox. I haven't touched my og Xbox One in over 2 years.

Xabring and atoxique like this.
  11. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    I don't even have an Xbox One yet, lmao.

12. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Why as I'm sure thousands are still not sold:lol:

13. mightymuffy

mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

Nov 6, 2002
    United Kingdom
    Wigan, land of the Pies
    Looking forward to this show the most! :D They've got a lot to cover too, not only the next consoles but Game Pass PC (and possibly Switch?), plus of course xcloud. Might even get a look at the new Fable by Playground (has to be ages off though!) Then there's the rumours of Sony and/or Nintendo execs appearing on stage to talk about the recent developments (can't see THAT fukkin happening though! Would ruin the fanbois day week wouldn't it....But Sony aren't doing a show are they - mind you, after whatever THAT was last year I don't blame them!)

CallmeBerto likes this.
  14. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner GBAtemp Fan

Feb 16, 2017
    United States
    But does it have Jet Set Radio Future, Panzer Dragoon Orta, the Otogi games, etc. so we don't have to throw our CPU's through Hell and back and get something resembling more normal performance on PC without the overhead on the CPU via emulation?

15. Pipistrele

Pipistrele GBAtemp Regular

Jan 21, 2019
    Russia
    Nah, I don't think so - Sony knows how to play safe. Sony's also in a very Nintendo-ish position at this point - they have a massive library of IPs that can make for solid killer apps, while Microsoft kinda flopped around and lost a lot of credibility when it comes to their primary exclusives (Halo and GoW are in the rut, interest for Killer Instinct died down quickly, Forza is not as hot as it used to be, Crackdown took a nosedive, etc.)

Last edited by Pipistrele, Jun 9, 2019
  16. atoxique

atoxique Member

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2019
    Australia
    the Internet
    You can't exactly cheat on PS4 or Switch either. The PS4 only been fully hacked on firmware 5.07 and lower (current firmware is 6.71), and both companies ban your network account the moment they see that you've hacked. On that note, does Microsoft still ban you for changing your Xbox One's hard drive?

Treeko likes this.
  17. leafeon34

leafeon34 Bye

Sep 30, 2014
    Japan
    Hiding up a cherry blossom
    I can’t speak for the PS4 but there have been plenty of Splatoon 2 players complain about people cheating online. Nintendo will ban hackers but sometimes they take months to issue a ban.

18. atoxique

atoxique Member

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2019
    Australia
    the Internet
    Do you really think power actually matters to console gamers? Look at the PS1 for example: one of the weakest consoles of the 5th generation, yet it sold over 100 million units and completely murdered the Sega Saturn and Nintendo 64. Same with the PS2, it's the best selling console of all time but it was the second weakest of the 6th generation (and also the most difficult to program for!). The 7th generation was owned by the Nintendo Wii despite it not even being capable of HD graphics! The 8th generation is the only one that the (only very slightly) more powerful console just so happened to win.

Xabring likes this.
  19. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    Microsoft never banned anyone for changing a HDD.
    Never done that on Xbox, never on 360 and not on the one.

CoolMe and CallmeBerto like this.