MENUdo's Developer
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Didnt saw this on the GBAtemp.
DS-scene is a ds community, they dont host roms in their site, but they do list them, like gbatemp. This explains why they were down yesterday, read and find out why.

QUOTE said:
To explain why the site has been down for the last 24hrs.. Well our host was threatened by Microsoft for copyright violation of 4 Viva Pinata screenshots. The email we recieved is in the spoiler below. DS-Scene was then taken down, so we removed the images and mailed the host waiting for them to put us back online, which has taken a day. I know you're probably thinking how ridiculous it is of Microsoft to take us down over a couple of screenshots. The funny thing is the screens actually had gamekult watermarks pffft. I never post watermarked images myself, if i can't find a clean image i simply wont post screens. So everyone can blame Homie for this one
tongue.gif
. Anyway we are back online now lol.

Full Story: http://www.ds-scene.net/

I really find it funny, I thought DS-scene was done for. But it was only because of a set of snapshots. The funny thing is that it somehow looks like MS is helping/defending nintendo from afar.
rolleyes.gif

JKR Firefox

Back.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Why in the world would a couple of screenies matter to MS?

Edit: The topic title is very misleading as well...they aren't shut down permanently, they were down for a period of time.

Whizz

When things don't go right, go left.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Companies like Microsoft have to much power.

Look, what they try to do is keep the Viva Pinata rom away from attention, because you can't stop piracy but you can mess with release news sites.

Or Microsoft's lawyers have been looking for the rom, eventually found DS-Scene and got pissed because the rom wasn't on there. I don't see why the hoster took down the entire site though, they could have just removed the screenshot.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Orc said:
If GBAtemp goes down, it was my fault for posting screenshots with watermarks I stole from other websites.
Done the same, a lot.

ph34r.gif

Should I apologise in advance?

Orc

‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Hadrian said:
Done the same, a lot.

ph34r.gif

Should I apologise in advance?So has countless other members. GBAtemp.net probably won't go down because of this since GBAtemp probably doesn't have a lame host.
laugh.gif

I want to take the blame though so I can tell my grandchildren I was the reason GBAtemp.net went down.

JKR Firefox

Back.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Orc said:
Hadrian said:
Done the same, a lot.

ph34r.gif

Should I apologise in advance?So has countless other members. GBAtemp.net probably won't go down because of this since GBAtemp probably doesn't have a lame host.
laugh.gif

I want to take the blame though so I can tell my grandchildren I was the reason GBAtemp.net went down.

Would your grandchildren care?

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Orc said:
Hadrian said:
Done the same, a lot.

ph34r.gif

laugh.gif

that's EXACTLY what happened on ds-scene lol .. the matter was no doubt due to the game wasn't officially out when the images were posted!

otherwise crap loads of review sites would be shut down too!

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
This happens because webhosts are idiots. The second you can lay your hands on your own server, do it.

If your webhost gets a letter with a vague reason why the site could be taken down, even if the reason would not stand in court, the webhost simply can't be bothered to even try and defend a PAYING client, and shut down the site just like that.

The owner of DS-Scene should, at the very least, write a very angry e-mail to their webhost, and ask for 1 day's worth of money back, just to piss them off, or just find another host that has a backbone, or the decency to tell the paying customer before taking action.

Also, ds-scene < this site.

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
No, Microsoft doesn't really care to help out Nintendo of all companies.
They just don't like the fact the website indexes an illegal rip of their game, I would assume.

This is a good thing to learn from, I'm not going to be uploading and posting watermarked images anymore
wink.gif

paul1991

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is marketing.

How many of you guys went to google to see these images after reading the article? All of you? Thats what I thought. If they leave them up, nobody will notice. It is a tactic to improve publicity to markets that would not normally.

It is the same thing sony did with GTA4 maps posted on many sites. Many more people saw them because they were "Banned".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect

mkoo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Urza said:
Prime said:
All DS-Scene does it list them which isn't doing anything to nintedo.
Its aiding pirates in pirating, which is "doing something to Nintendo".
Guiding to a criminal act is also a criminal act actually. Well may be not on American Law system
unsure.gif

Triforce

Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
Orc said:
GBAtemp.net probably won't go down because of this since GBAtemp probably doesn't have a lame host.
laugh.gif

Actually i don't think the host matters that much in this situation, it's Microsoft we're talking about here, not exactly a small company. If they were to threaten GBAtemp for copyright violation or any other small time sites that list ROM's, their hosts would most likely do something about it as well.

Our host actually shut down the wrong site anyway, all our images are kept on a separate file server which stayed up all the way through this. Which is why i was able to delete the screenshots off the ftp. The main site should have never been shut down.

QUOTE( @ Sep 11 2008, 06:44 PM)This happens because webhosts are idiots. The second you can lay your hands on your own server, do it.
To have my own server would be nice but in this case no, the copyright violation would have been all on my head. I don't really feel like going to court because i kept 4 Viva Pinata screens on my server.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I'm gonna be honest here when I say that DS-Scene doesn't really matter to me anyway. The site boots too slowly to be worth my time. They don't have a "new posts" option in their forums (that I know of or can find anyway) so I don't bother with them, since "view new posts" is how I use forums.

It's not that DS-Scene is bad or anything, it's just the above features that are lacking and prevent me from enjoying their site the way I like to do things, so I tend not to bother with them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr