Microsoft reveals lifetime Xbox 360, Kinect sales

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Guild McCommunist, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Guild McCommunist
    OP

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    [​IMG]

At Microsoft's CES press conference last night, the total number of Xbox 360 and Kinect sales so far have been revealed.

For the Xbox 360, it has 66 million Xbox 360 users, with "more than 66 million" Xbox 360 console sold. They also revealed that there are 40 million current Xbox Live users. In comparison to Microsoft's last console, the original Xbox sold over 24 million consoles.

Microsoft's recent motion peripheral, the Kinect, has enjoyed more than 18 million sales so far. The sensor launched in early November 2010 to commercial success.

Do these recent sales figures show a successful future for Microsoft, the Xbox, and the Kinect in the competitive gaming market? Share your opinion in the comments!

:arrow: Source

1 person likes this.

2. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    Wii (2011-09-30) 89.36 WorldwidePDF
    PS3 (2011-09-30) 55.5 WorldwideSource

Just to compare and see how good the numbers are but obviously take Christmas into account for both the Wii and PS3 (I don't think numbers have been released yet? Japan sales probably have but cba searching)

3. Lily

Former Staff Lily One Scary Lady

Canada
    I wonder how adversely skewed Microsoft's numbers are when they take into account the number of re-purchases due to RROD/E74 and how many of those "40 million" Live accounts are active/not dupes?

It's all well and good to trumpet big numbers, but I wonder how much different the REAL numbers are.

3 people like this.
  4. Haloman800

Member Haloman800 a real gril

United States
    Wii > Xbox > Playstation

Sounds about right.

5. SS4

Member SS4 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Did they take into account the people that bought more than one because they were fed up after receiving defective used unit 4 times or more in a row when they returned them after the RRoD?

6. gokujr1000

Member gokujr1000 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    Are the Live users people with Gold Subscriptions? Or are they mixed between standard and gold? And how many Xbox's have been given back to the companies/people they bought the Consoles from? And how many users encountered RROD?

I know it's allot of questions...

7. NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii WiiU

Member NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii WiiU Now with extra redundancy!

Australia
    Maybe in sales, but for the consoles I'd say PS3 > Wii = X360.

8. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    Those numbers sound pretty nice, all considered. I'd guess that Microsoft is hoping it can get them in the 75 to 80 million range (at the very least) by the end of the console's lifespan.

That also means that the announcement of their next console is getting closer. It might not be at E3 (or even announced this year), but it will probably be here soon enough...

9. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    I have to wonder about those Kinect sales. I mean, potentially, they pushed another 8 million units during the holiday season, but I find that horribly unlikely. Reading my Game Informer today, it stated that Microsoft had only sold approximately 10 million Kinects since it's launch up until this last November. Unless the Kinect saw a sharp spike in popularity, I'd have to wonder if Microsoft said shipped or if they explicitly used the term sold. Or maybe they went ahead and used wording that made it sound like they sold that many units, or potentially IGN is just acting like the shitty site it tends to be.

So many possibilities.

Edit: And yes, I'll take the numbers in a clear fashion directly from Microsoft as stated in this magazine vs IGN's potential misinterpretation of what was said.

10. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    so many companies are using shipped as sold now since its still a sale to them either way and they can boast about higher numbers then their competitor

11. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    For me:

PS3 > Wii > 360

I wanted to give Wii = PS3 but the online features were quite... 'outdated'. Tried it as well and didn't really like it that much.

Anyway, the kinect sold reasonably well here. I bought one myself before selling away everything - it was cool but... it's only perfect for casual games.

12. Guild McCommunist
    OP

United States
    Here's a 1UP source with the same info.

The Kinect reached 10 million shipped to fetch a Guinness World Record but apparently, to date, its sold 18 million units

13. FireGrey

Member FireGrey Undercover Admin

Australia
    Sony went from Best Selling (PS2) to Worst selling (PS3).
    It just shows how much things change, I personally think that next time it's Microsofts turn to be winning.

14. NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii WiiU

Member NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii WiiU Now with extra redundancy!

Australia
    This Gen's not over yet, according to Sony it's only 'halfway there'.

15. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    10 million quick enough to make a record? It took the better part of a year to sell 2 million more units after the initial 8 million at launch. Must not have been a difficult record to break. Regardless, I'm strongly doubting that in two months, another 8 million were sold. What Joe says makes a lot more sense. It's likely they are considering what they shipped as sold, since regardless, they already made money off of it. So it's less screwy sources, more Microsoft's choice of wording.

16. gbadl

Member gbadl GBAtemp Regular

It is no where near 4 times since they have 40 million xbox live users, that doesn't even take into consideration people that don't use live. If you want to be picky then Sony sales of the PS1/ PS2 should be cut in half because of the crappy lasers they use.

17. FireGrey

Australia
    Most Xbox360s have multiple users though, my friend has like 7 on his 360.
    Oh and I've had to get like 4 PS2s due to that stupid laser issue on the PS2.

18. Guild McCommunist
    OP

United States
    Uh, what?

I mean I probably have like at least 5 profiles on my Xbox but I'm the only one who actually uses it. Plenty of people will recover their account on another Xbox so they can download their content (not for game sharing, just for if they want to play a XBLA game or DLC on a friend's Xbox) or get achievements. I seriously doubt 7 people consistently share the same Xbox.

As for the PS2 thing, maybe you just take shit care of your electronics. I've literally had one device break on me and that was my PSP 1000. I still have a functioning PSX, Gamecube, Gameboy Color, etc, and those were from my childhood (aka before I "took care" of my shit). I really don't see how people run through 4 versions of a single console.

19. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    it is shipped, not actually sold to consumers
    http://www.vgchartz.com/article/88700/microsoft-x360-shipments-reach-66m-kinect-more-than-18m-globally/

1 person likes this.
  20. FireGrey

Australia
    I don't take shit care of my things, the disc reader has just broken because of it's poor quality, it's happened to plenty of people.
    Oh and I still have a working PSX and SNES, everything but my old PS2s are working.
    The PS2 issue put me off buying a PS3 for ages.