Microsoft Researches the Possibility of Adding Backwards Compatibility to the Xbox One

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Foxi4, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    During the Microsoft Build developer conference Frank Savage spilled the beans and admitted that Microsoft is investigating the possibility of adding backwards compatibility to the Xbox One.
    Of course this is no solid announcement of a new feature, but I'm happy to hear that Microsoft is looking into the matter. Perhaps sometime down the line we'll get to see at least some 360 games playable on the One.

:arrow: Source

PS: I apologize for the format of the post, I'm currently on mobile. It will be refined once I'm back home.

2. chavosaur

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    Dammit Foxi I wanted to post this ;O;
    I remember forever ago they talked about the possibility of using the Azure Cloud Servers to have their own Gaikai like streaming service so I imagine down the line that is what they'll offer. The question is how they will offer the service, if it will be a rental thing like Sony has come up with, or if they'll try to go the good guy route and let you stream games you already own digitally.

It could also be that they have a system far into the works then we actively know about. They just wanna wait and see how Sony's playstation now works out. Very excited to try that as well~

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  3. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Yeah, I read about this yesterday. I'm sure M$ will be able to manage 360 "emulation" on the XBone towards the middle/end of it's life, or at least something similar to PS Now I would hope.

At the least I'd expect popular 360 exclusives to be re-released for the XBone.

4. Terenigma

Terenigma Terenigma everywhere

Nov 10, 2008
    Earth
    Microsoft: Lets spread rumours how we might add backwards compatability so it seems like we're competing with sony
    Microsoft yes team: Yes! thats a great idea
    Microsoft: Then lets just put 1-2 games on the store that noone cares about and charge them full price for it
    Microsoft yes team: Yes! thats a great idea
    Microsoft: Then lets just not deliver on our promises, just keep this idea in the rumour stage long enough to sell more consoles
    Micorosft yes team: Yes! thats a great idea!

naved.islam14 likes this.
  5. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    From what I'm reading this has nothing to do with the streaming plans which would be far simpler to execute - I think Savage meant on-machine emulation/virtualization. This task would be comparatively simpler with the 360 than with the PS3 as the 360's GPU is an AMD one like the One's (different families, but still) and although the CPU cores are PPE-based, there are no SPE's to worry about. I'd wager that emulating the 360 on the One would be easier than emulating the PS3 on the PS4 if they optimize it to godly levels and engage all cores in the process.

chavosaur likes this.
  6. chavosaur

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    So probably more Akin to PS2 classics on PS3, or the Xbox Re-releases on 360.
    Certainly reiterates my point then on of they'll allow you to play whatever Digitial title the re-release free if you already owned the Digitial 360 version.

This would be awesome for me, most of my Xbox library is digital~

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  7. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    I've read this post as well, but I don't see any news relevance to it. I mean, c'mon...the quoted source himself says there's nothing to announce, except that it's going to be hard. Which means it can turn out that it's technically impossible without slowdowns or errors.

Jezus...it's one of those days on the internet again. :rolleyes: I've heard people mix up facts and rumours before (hint: it's not a rumour if there's a quoted person of reference), and I've heard people confuse rumours with promises (hint: it's a promise if THE COMPANY publicly states something...not some source claiming others say it). You somehow manage to blend those two blatant errors into one a double whammy error that's just so wrong it's pathetic.

What MS said:
    Frank Savage: "There are [plans], but we're not done thinking them through yet, unfortunately. It turns out to be hard to emulate the PowerPC stuff on the X86 stuff. So there's nothing to announce, but I would love to see it myself."
    Another spokesman: [there are no official plans to bring Xbox 360 compatibility to consumer Xbox Ones any time soon] "It is super challenging to emulate two completely different architectures, and there aren't currently any plans to build this,"

What you hear:
    Microsoft promises backward compatibility (and is going to break this promise later because money).

WHAT THE FREAKIN' HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU, DUDE??? :angry:
    Look...I don't mind you bashing microsoft or other companies, or cracking jokes at their expenses. But laughing at policies they aren't doing just shows your inability to read properly.

8. slingblade1170

slingblade1170 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    Would be nice if this does happen, I plan on picking up an Xbox One this summer and within a year I would like to retire my Xbox 360 to my collection shelf but still be able to play 360 games but if not then oh well.

9. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    I felt so betrayed when I tried to play my copy of Timesplitters Future Perfect on my 360 only to discover that it was one of the select games not compatible with the system.

That's not really relevant here, I'm just bitter.

6SoulTriox and Foxi4 like this.
  10. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    My Gamecube "copy" (hint hint :ninja:) of TimeSplitters: Future Perfect worked perfectly fine on my Wii. :tpi:

Wii: 1 - XB360: 0

;O;

Sakitoshi and gamefan5 like this.
  11. Logan97

Logan97 G.B.A.T.e.m.p T.e.m.p.l.a.r K.n.i.g.h.t

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    Where all things matter
    (Sigh) I highly doubt this with their recent mistakes with Windows 8, and Xbone, although it would be pretty impressive on their side to accomplish. Their better off streaming titles for it since Microsoft are still noobs to this stuff.

12. Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2011
    United States
    I am 99% sure that when they say backwards compatibility they are talking about the original Xbox and not the 360.

If they are talking about the 360 they have an impossible task in trying to emulate the 360's CPU with the Xbox One's CPU....

Now emulating the original Xbox on the Xbox One, that's pretty doable. Most of the instructions for the CPU should be in there, so one core from the One could probably handle that deal, and you could dedicate the other cores to doing things like running a GPU wrapper and emulating the DRM stuff.