OP
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
dUdQVZb.jpg
(c) Image taken from Mashable.com

Microsoft's senior vice president for Interactive Entertainment Business Yusuf Medhi believes that by the end of the next generation, the industry will have a combined sales total of 1 billion consoles (which includes the three dominant consoles, Xbox One, PS4, and Wii U,) due to the increasing capabilities of consoles as all around entertainment systems that he believes will increase their market.

"Every generation, as you've probably heard, has grown approximately 30%," he tells OXM. "So this generation is about 300 million units. Most industry experts think the next generation will get upwards of about 400 million units. That's if it's a game console, over the next decade. We think you can go broader than a game console, that's our aim, and you can go from 400 million to potentially upwards of a billion units. That's how we're thinking of the Xbox opportunity as we go forward."

Additionally, Medhi tells OXM that the Xbox 360 has not reached the end of its life span. Microsoft intends to sell 25 million more units of the previous generation console. "We believe over the next five years we can break a 100 million unit installed base," he says.

"The way we'll break into those segments is by hitting new price points, getting new classes of entertainment to come with the Xbox, and breaking into new customer segments. So you'll see the Xbox 360 continue to exist, even as we launch the next generation Xbox One."

At E3, Microsoft will be revealing 15 new games for the Xbox One, 8 of which will be new franchises. They will also be announcing their future plans for the Xbox 360, which they hope will generate sales.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
OP
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
He's on drugs unless he meant to include mobile in that estimate.

Well, this generation did sell around upwards 250 million Wii's, PS3's, and XBOX 360's total, and that figure is outdated by about 3 months, so I'd imagine more to be sold by now. So no, he's including PURELY home video game consoles. No handhelds or smartphones.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I really can't tell if this is bullocks or not. With all that extra content slapped on, why would you buy a "regular" DVD/blue ray player if you can go for a console as well?

And with the upcoming ouya, steambox and the shield, PC gaming itself will probably also lose some market in favor of consoles (though I'm not sure if the shield counts as a console or a handheld...or the ouya as next gen).

...but I'm thinking the financial crisis will put a dent in that sales estimate. With a myriad of cheap or even free games on pretty much every phone available (even without counting emulators), and current gen that's practically given away (I just got Alan Wake for 10 bucks...and I could've given 1$ if I wanted to), I doubt the large masses will shift to next gen soon.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's all lies and bullshit. The Xbone won't sell 100 million units and next gen systems won't total 1/7th of the world's population. No generation has sold a grossed total of 500 million yet, what makes these tools think it will happen when we are in a worldwide recession?

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
HAH! I've heard some funny shite coming out of MS's mouth in the past few days but this one is classic! Clearly they're on smack!
Almost as funny is the idea they'll sell another 25 million 360s in the next 5 years - fukkin hell fire that's hilari-wait a minute, 25 million RROD's in the next 5 year? That's actually quite likely.....

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No generation has sold a grossed total of 500 million yet, what makes these tools think it will happen when we are in a worldwide recession?

Well, the entertainment industry is supposed to be recession proof, and the recession hasn't stopped Apple and other companies from continuing to make record sales. It's overly optimistic, but I can see where they are coming from - especially if they're expecting the Xbox One to sell as a cable box.

Motobug

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems they're not going the original Xbox route, where they essentially dropped all support after the 360 launched.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
What Microsoft is going for, is the Wii route. They're trying to pull in customers who wouldn't regularly purchase a console under normal circumstances. Even then, if people fall for that, I doubt this Gen will even reach over 500 mil. If the sales of all consoles do infact go over 1 billion by the end of this generation, I'll buy one of these Xbox Ones, and I'll EAT it.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Seems they're not going the original Xbox route, where they essentially dropped all support after the 360 launched.

Given how well Sony did by flogging their PS2 to less developed countries I would be shocked if they did not at least try to peddle their old tat in similar markets.

As Gahars said though if this is planning to be a cable box/media player/media appliance and given how rapidly people are warning to streaming TV I could see it happening. It is a high estimate but not an entirely unrealistic one.

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Assuming a billion people can afford them. China and India's got about 2.5 billion between them, but only a sliver of that can afford game consoles without starving. That leaves around 4.5 billion people split between the rest of the world. And you have to consider that they not only have to be able to afford to buy a game console, but also a good TV, and a decent internet connection. I could dig up statistics, but that would take too much work, lol.

Reactions: a9cito

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Given how well Sony did by flogging their PS2 to less developed countries I would be shocked if they did not at least try to peddle their old tat in similar markets.
I think there's still sales to be made in the current market as well, both as a console and as a cheaper alternative to the X-bone for those who don't need Blu-ray.

As Gahars said though if this is planning to be a cable box/media player/media appliance and given how rapidly people are warning to streaming TV I could see it happening. It is a high estimate but not an entirely unrealistic one.
Yes but do you need a $500 console for that when a $100 Android stick would suffice?

Reactions: Yumi

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes but do you need a $500 console for that when a $100 Android stick would suffice?

Given things like XBMC have existed for years and people were half excited for "smart" tvs I am going with "but the average tv watching pleb will not know better".

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Given things like XBMC have existed for years and people were half excited for "smart" tvs I am going with "but the average tv watching pleb will not know better".
But to be fair, cheap (and finished) solutions are relatively new to the market. XBMC was either this expensive prebuilt, sleek boxed "solution" or, worse yet, required (*gasp*) building, setting up and actually knowing the first thing about computers. It's only now that cheap plug-and-play devices are becoming commonplace.

back25

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The prediction for the 360 makes sense actually, considering everyone in the hellhole I come from wants one for its hack-ability.
The rest, just laughable.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"