Microsoft Offering 1 Month Of Free Skype->Phone Calls

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Rydian, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Rydian
    OP

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    [​IMG]

So for those of you that don't know, Skype isn't just PC->PC, it's full-on VoIP with landline and cell access too, if you buy Skype credit. Apparently it's pretty cheap to call phones from the PC program (2.3 cents a minute pay-as-you-go anywhere, or $3 a month to "unlimited US and Canada"), and with a different subscription you can even get a number with skype that people can call from their phones.

This free offer though, appears to just be PC->Phone calls, to further convince users to switch. You sign into your Microsoft account with your MSN details, then visit the link they sent you in your e-mail if you got one (which, humorously, has "skypewithlove" in the URL) and somehow redeem the free month of credit (when signing up for a recurring payment like normal). I assume this is only for your merged Skype+MSN account, I don't know if they let you redeem it on an existing Skype account.

2. DaggerV

Member DaggerV Archmagi of the Emerald Moon

United States
    Stopped using it whenever they first started with the silverlight and junk from forever ago, messenger program should not be so big. not a lot was lost.

3. buyme200
    This message by buyme200 has been removed from public view by p1ngpong, Mar 23, 2013.
    Mar 23, 2013
  4. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    The world has been forced by google philosophy so move towards freemium.

I always thought calling to America is free because when I did so, they didn't charge me (from Tanzania might I add)

5. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    No, it's because of our Constitution.

Wow, what a terrific audience!

6. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    I uninstalled Windows Live Essentials off of my computer the other day because I installed that to install Messenger. After uninstallation, Messenger is still on my computer and I can't figure out how to get rid of it. It doesn't show up in the uninstall list or anything, and it always auto signs me in.

7. Rydian
    OP

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Msconfig to stop it from running on startup?

Also it might be listed as something else in add/remove.

8. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    No it isn't. The only thing me and my buddy can come up with, is that I have skype, so maybe that's why? Otherwise, there's nothing else.

edit: nvm, for some reason, Essentials showed up in the uninstall again for some dumb fucking reason.

9. FireGrey

Member FireGrey Undercover Admin

Australia
    Just a note, when I got a free premium 1 month, I had to send them about $1 to confirm I had payment, but they automatically put me into a subscription with my payment info after that 1 month.

10. gokujr1000

Member gokujr1000 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    Hahahahha no-one is safe for the next month.

11. Pleng

Member Pleng GBAtemp Maniac

Thailand
    They are trying hard to move people from messenger to skype and it seems like it's not working. No surprise there... most people who have messenger already HAVE Skype, and have a reason for wanting their contacts on the two systems separated!

They've already extended the deadline once, now are making this offer and I guess they'll still find that people are not 'moving' to Skype.

I bet some bright spark at MS presented that if they move the x million MSN subscribers to y million Skype subscribers, they'd end up with x+y million Skype users... not accounting for the amount of x subscribers who are already in group y...!