Microsoft in talks to buy Skype

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
All you guys complaining about if Microsoft buys Skype it will stop being free. OF COURSE! Cause I've been paying to use MSN Messenger for the past 5 yea- Oh wait... I HAVEN'T! And that has everything Skype has bar the conference calls (free), conference video call (PAID FOR) and calling landlines (PAID FOR).
Basically the most I see coming out of this initially is a merging of the Skype and MSN messenger services. With Skype users and MSN users being able to chat cross-network to start with until slowly Microsoft integrate Skype into the core of Windows Live allowing free voice conferences and subscription landline calls and video conferencing. THe only problem will be that the Mac and Linux distros of Skype may be abandoned, this is a may though as MS have already shot themselves in the foot with the terrible Messenger for Mac.

As for people complaining about how bloated messenger is. The latest Skype for Windows release is TERRIBLY bloated and badly laid out. I only use it because I have friends who refuse to use the new messenger (despite it being a damn sight nicer for IM than Skype is) oh and conference calling. If that gets integrated into messenger for free I will be happy.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I literally only started using Skype last week, and now this news....
I never use any instant messengers at all, let's hope they won't implement it in Windows Messenger shit. Hate that piece of shit, never used it, pure time-wasting.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
iceissocold said:
Do any of you actually have a valid reason for not wanting Microsoft to acquire Skype? I don't see an issue here and they could bring it to Xbox360 and see the service really take off.
MSN's a pile of shit and people don't want Skype to be a pile of shit.

I could sit here and type up paragraphs about how bad it is, from the needless (and invisible) chat filtering, to the fact that Microsoft's protection on it sucked so bad they had to disable clickable links in previous versions to get users to upgrade, to the fact that you can't apply per-word formatting (only to an entire message) without client-side workarounds, to the fact that the window's technical border doesn't match it's visible border (so you can't position it at the top of the screen), and that's not even getting into the network issues, such as the CONSTANT irritation people find with being unable to properly add and speak to each other, sometimes finding each other appearing offline even though both are online and have no privacy option set... I could probably find more reasons if I'd fire up the actual client and try to use it for more than a few minutes.

It's shit, and I'd be happy if it just died so people could move onto something else and they (and I) wouldn't have to deal with MSN's shit.
I don't know what sort of team Microsoft has working on MSN, but they should have fired them years ago.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jamstruth said:
All you guys complaining about if Microsoft buys Skype it will stop being free. OF COURSE! Cause I've been paying to use MSN Messenger for the past 5 yea- Oh wait... I HAVEN'T! And that has everything Skype has bar the conference calls (free), conference video call (PAID FOR) and calling landlines (PAID FOR).
Basically the most I see coming out of this initially is a merging of the Skype and MSN messenger services. With Skype users and MSN users being able to chat cross-network to start with until slowly Microsoft integrate Skype into the core of Windows Live allowing free voice conferences and subscription landline calls and video conferencing. THe only problem will be that the Mac and Linux distros of Skype may be abandoned, this is a may though as MS have already shot themselves in the foot with the terrible Messenger for Mac.

As for people complaining about how bloated messenger is. The latest Skype for Windows release is TERRIBLY bloated and badly laid out. I only use it because I have friends who refuse to use the new messenger (despite it being a damn sight nicer for IM than Skype is) oh and conference calling. If that gets integrated into messenger for free I will be happy.
i'm actually gonna have to agree with this, the newest "windows live" messenger looks pretty damn nice and the new skype is bloated and ugly as hell

however, skype on linux is quite nice, and emesene isn't near as nice

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Govt. teacher mentioned that today, if it happens, you'll find me on Chat Roulette or Omegle.
smileipb2.png

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Terminator02 said:
Jamstruth said:

i'm actually gonna have to agree with this, the newest "windows live" messenger looks pretty damn nice and the new skype is bloated and ugly as hell

however, skype on linux is quite nice, and emesene isn't near as nice
WHAT!? You like the newest windows live messenger? Like seriously?
It looks like a web messenger to me. Not many people like it o.o. I use the 2009 version, IF I ever use it.

In terms of videocalls, Skype is a lot better. I also like the sound quality of skype compared to WLM. Microsoft could ruin that easily
tongue.gif

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
RupeeClock said:
Please don't, MSN/Live messenger is bloated as shit.
well first if they buy it , i don't want it to be like this .
i am using an older version of Live Messenger since i despise the newer one .
and if they buy Skype , i have no idea what me and my friends will be using nowadays if it gets bought and becomes bloated when we play League of Legends :\

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Splych said:
RupeeClock said:
and if they buy Skype , i have no idea what me and my friends will be using nowadays if it gets bought and becomes bloated when we play League of Legends :\

I just run a personal Ventrilo server for my gaming sessions. The call quality is a lot better than Skype anyways.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
doyama said:
Splych said:
RupeeClock said:

I just run a personal Ventrilo server for my gaming sessions. The call quality is a lot better than Skype anyways.
been considering Ventrilo / TeamSpeak . i've used it before with CoD4 in clan battles or generally talking with a clan .
is it free to setup a server ?

iceissocold

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Splych said:
been considering Ventrilo / TeamSpeak . i've used it before with CoD4 in clan battles or generally talking with a clan .
is it free to setup a server ?
It is if you run it on your hardware. There are hosting sites that sell it at pretty good rates.

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Splych said:
RupeeClock said:
How did you get an older one to work? Whenever I tried it would say I need to update and would stop signing in.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1