Microsoft cuts 10,000 jobs, Xbox and Bethesda affected

dsadasdasdasdasd.png

Major layoffs are going on at Microsoft, where around 10,000 people have lost their jobs. This comprises a little less than 5% of the company's total workforce, with layoffs affecting multiple Xbox studios and Bethesda. While the specifics of which divisions suffered the most aren't confirmed, according to a report from Bloomberg, Halo developer 343 Industries was "hit hard". Currently, 343 has been working on content updates for Halo Infinite, and insider reports are claiming that going forward, they won't be in charge of the Halo franchise anymore, while another affected studio, The Coalition, had unannounced projects in the works. Severance packages will be offered to the outgoing employees, which will cost Microsoft about $1.2 billion. Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella claims that this decision was "difficult, but necessary", and that right now is "showtime" for Microsoft, and that the company and brand need to raise the bar in order to outdo the competition.

:arrow: Source

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suppose most US company do 5% cut regularly even during the good years.

Just like gun owners like to pull out their guns and fire a few rounds into the air from time to time for no good reason. The sky is not falling and they are not about to overthrow the US government.

Telling the press is just politics.

Last edited by TomSwitch,

DEFIANT

a daft old man who stole a magic box and ran away
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
the market is over saturated with every tom dick and harry wanted to go into tech/it field...good thing i learned a trade...as a welder i make the same if not more and since most younger adults/kids don't want to work with their hands, trade skilled workers are in very high demand...getting great pay and benfits. i couldn't imagine working on computers all day only to come home and play on them for the rest...sounds monotonous

Reactions: MarkDarkness

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the market is over saturated with every tom dick and harry wanted to go into tech/it field...good thing i learned a trade...as a welder i make the same if not more and since most younger adults/kids don't want to work with their hands, trade skilled workers are in very high demand...getting great pay and benfits. i couldn't imagine working on computers all day only to come home and play on them for the rest...sounds monotonous
If you are a artisan unless your trade die you will always be fine, if what you do can be substituted with more but cheap labor then you may be in trouble. Cheap labor can't be stacked to replace an artisan.

DEFIANT

a daft old man who stole a magic box and ran away
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
If you are a artisan unless your trade die you will always be fine, if what you do can be substituted with more but cheap labor then you may be in trouble. Cheap labor can't be stacked to replace an artisan.
well what im doing not many actually know how to do it proficiently...not to say you couldn't train a monkey to do it...nobody wants to do no matter how easy it is...artisan or not. i've been doing it all my life (49) and i dont see any younger kids coming in taking up the mantle...it just keeps getting thinner and thinner...so much so that any thought of trying to replace me is non exsistent...on the contrary...they are bending over backwards to give me the best hours pay and benefits i could ever hope for. ive yet to be worried, even in this economic downturn. and i didnt even go to school to learn the trade, got lucky and an old timer taught me everything i know, when i first started out as kid myself. dont get me wrong i feel bad that people are loosing there jobs...but theres a whole other opportunity besides tech. computers/games are a hobby...one im fairly good at it...i just didnt go down the tech side...i wanted it to remain fun. i get weird looks all the time from the other welders when i tell what i do for fun...they dont know a keyboard from a mouse kinda looks.

Reactions: TomSwitch

drazenm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well this is the filth you praise and bow to, keep on doing it, soon everyone will be jobless as everything will be run by machines and programs. No sick days, no asking for holidays, pay rise etc. Perfect employee.

Let the peasants enjoy the holidays, fire them couple of weeks after new year till they all get back home .

Last edited by drazenm,

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sucks that it's happening right after Xmas so if they spent a lot of their money on gifts w/in that timespan or blew through their rainy day fund then I guess they're up schitt's creek.

Reactions: drazenm

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia

Major layoffs are going on at Microsoft, where around 10,000 people have lost their jobs. This comprises a little less than 5% of the company's total workforce, with layoffs affecting multiple Xbox studios and Bethesda. While the specifics of which divisions suffered the most aren't confirmed, according to a report from Bloomberg, Halo developer 343 Industries was "hit hard". Currently, 343 has been working on content updates for Halo Infinite, and insider reports are claiming that going forward, they won't be in charge of the Halo franchise anymore, while another affected studio, The Coalition, had unannounced projects in the works. Severance packages will be offered to the outgoing employees, which will cost Microsoft about $1.2 billion. Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella claims that this decision was "difficult, but necessary", and that right now is "showtime" for Microsoft, and that the company and brand need to raise the bar in order to outdo the competition.

:arrow: Source
less than 5% that is no a little thing, is huge!
Post automatically merged:

Sucks that it's happening right after Xmas so if they spent a lot of their money on gifts w/in that timespan or blew through their rainy day fund then I guess they're up schitt's creek.
Rules of corporate world:

Layouts always happen AFTER holidays, you do not let go people before they spend money on your products. And Always on friday you don't want to have to care about they comming back on the week, if they come back on weekend is probably the build is closed and secured, they will have the weekend for calm down.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Raise the bar....

Pay shit loads to buy out all these studios, ohh lets axe our halo studio and we will hand it to those behind COD and lets make Halo a clone of COD.

depaul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
During Covid crisis, my previous company had 10% salary cut off for everyone to avoid layoffs.
I find this a better solution.

Reactions: impeeza

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Layouts Layoffs always happen AFTER holidays, you do not let go people before they spend money on your products. And Always on Friday you don't want to have to care about they coming back on the week, if they come back on weekend is probably the build is closed and secured, they will have the weekend for calm down.

• Love
Reactions: impeeza

JackTheHorse

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
the market is over saturated with every tom dick and harry wanted to go into tech/it field...good thing i learned a trade...as a welder i make the same if not more and since most younger adults/kids don't want to work with their hands
Or they don't want to get their lungs and eyes fucked after 5 years.

This is non-news. Companies all over the world are settling down after a huge growth during the pandemic. At least Microsoft is giving a ton of benefits to all the people laid off, rather than just kicking them out with nothing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: quite a tight bend on that 8pin->12pin adapter in my case, which is the worst case scenario, but...