Microsoft clarifies the naming scheme behind the next-gen Xbox

1IIi95f.png

During this year's Game Awards, Microsoft stole most of the spotlight by revealing the name of their next-generation gaming console. Or so we thought. Originally revealed as the Xbox Series X, the latest system in the line of Microsoft's consoles, the name garnered confusion and ridicule. Now, Microsoft has decided to clarify what exactly the new moniker means, amidst the outcry. The fourth-generation Xbox console, final form of the Project Scarlett, and successor to the Xbox One will actually just be called Xbox. The Series X part of the name is just a branding subtitle, to "allow room for additional consoles in the future", according to the company. So, theoretically, rather than the current naming scheme, which sees Microsoft selling the Xbox One, Xbox One S, and Xbox One X, the "Series X" name will help consumers choose between different models of the new Xbox, such as the highly-rumored discless streaming-only Xbox.

The name we're carrying forward to the next generation is simply Xbox," a Microsoft representative told Business Insider. "And at The Game Awards you saw that name come to life through the Xbox Series X.

"Similar to what fans have seen with previous generations, the name 'Xbox Series X' allows room for additional consoles in the future," the Microsoft rep told us.

Tags: [PLATFORM=/platform/xbox-series-x]Xbox Series X[/PLATFORM]

:arrow: Source (Exclusive interview via Business Insider)

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
On the bright side, even they would be hard-pressed to accidentally buy an original Xbox by mistake. Now an Xbox One on the other hand...

I've seen an old xbox in a second hand store recently, next to xbox 360 & xbox one's.

so what's the first console in the series?

Sony tried to do the same thing on the PS2, it's just PlayStation they said & then backtracked.

The reason that MS don't like numbers is they started a generation behind Sony. So they would be launching the xbox 4 against the playstation 5.

They will keep Windows 10 all the time Apple keep MacOS X

Last edited by smf,
Reactions: guisadop

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
"I got Halo on Xbox!"
"Man, I had that a while ago on the first Xbox."
"Which Xbox was the first one?"
"Xbox."
"But that's what I've got!"
"You bought it at a pawn shop?"
"No, it just released a few days ago!"
"They revamped the original console?"
"I don't know, I just know I bought an Xbox!"
"Which Xbox is it?"
"Xbox."

And around in circles we go.

Reactions: Xzi

guisadop

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I don't get why they didn't want to invent new words for it. Why keep making these weird decisions? Even Scarlett would have been a nice name. I remember the PS4 was called Orbis when it was in development. M$ should do something along those lines, but I guess the marketing department has some excentric people working there...

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't get why they didn't want to invent new words for it. Why keep making these weird decisions? Even Scarlett would have been a nice name. I remember the PS4 was called Orbis when it was in development. M$ should do something along those lines, but I guess the marketing department has some excentric people working there...
Scarlett would be a stupid name for a console :lol: for starters why what does it signify towards the machine and you kno it's a girls name and a red color and xbox is associated with green so now you explain why it should be called scarlett

Reactions: Subtle Demise

guisadop

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Scarlett would be a stupid name for a console :lol: for starters why what does it signify towards the machine and you kno it's a girls name and a red color and xbox is associated with green so now you explain why it should be called scarlett
They could make it so it would have something to do with the design, à la Gamecube. Anyway, I mentioned it just to illustrate that the name doesn't neem to be something "material", it could be an invented word.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So we will be seeing xbox series x, xbox series x small, series x digital only.

The name is stupid, it should differentiate itself from the current xbox name, its too similar to the current xbox one x.

But syaing that its probably going to have little difference, bet itll force crappy windows 10, just improved hardware.

Tho i vow never to buy another xbox after my xbox one x been faulty on launch day and their customer service was utter shit, took me 5 months to get some cunt to finally issue a repair and return label.

And when asked what i send it off in, if the box is fine they said yes, will it be kept in good condition as i keep all my consoles and packaging in mint condition.

Again, yes we aim to keep everything in the condition its sent to them, minus any damage caused by transist.

And what happened.

The fuckers not only sent my console back to me in worse condition than i sent it to them, scratched to fuck, top of the console was loose and makes a loud noise, they also threw away my console box.

Microsoft customer service then got worse as they refused to replace the console and my packaging even when i provided proof of what they told me, and me been me also provided pictures of the mint condition console before i sent it to them and then pictures of the damage they caused.

So yea, fuck xbox, never investing in them ever again, so tbf they can call its next shitbox what ever they like, i wont be buying it.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
XBOX X Series is a great name. Every youtuber is just overreacting and the sheep people just follow them.
TIL, if you dislike something you're a sheep person and should stop watching YouTube. Don't have an opinion, kids. It makes you look stupid.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
People should go back to the first interviews Microsoft gave back when their first console was about to launch. They always said it was their intention to enter the console business as a means to unify computers and consoles under the same operating system and it was purely their intention to make PC based hardware operating under Windows to make all games cross platform on that TV based hardware and a regular computer. When the XBOX 360 came out they also said way back then that that was still their intention but the technology they were developing wasn't up to point just yet but now it is hence why Xbox is just their brand for PC based hardware on a TV operating under windows. They never intended long term to make consoles as consoles were always made but purely tv based windows operated systems using pc hardware so i don't get why everybody keeps complaining about that. It only gives us more platforms to game on while breaking down that annoying exclusive thing games have going in an enclosed ecosystem making it so that a lot of people can never experience the story the creator of that game wants to share with an audience.

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Consoles stay as consoles and pcs as pcs - its been like tht since video games started - end of the day xbox fked up with the name of the one it sounded silly then and still does now - and thts what happens when you try and combine the two

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So we will be seeing xbox series x, xbox series x small, series x digital only.

The name is stupid, it should differentiate itself from the current xbox name, its too similar to the current xbox one x.

But syaing that its probably going to have little difference, bet itll force crappy windows 10, just improved hardware.

Tho i vow never to buy another xbox after my xbox one x been faulty on launch day and their customer service was utter shit, took me 5 months to get some cunt to finally issue a repair and return label.

And when asked what i send it off in, if the box is fine they said yes, will it be kept in good condition as i keep all my consoles and packaging in mint condition.

Again, yes we aim to keep everything in the condition its sent to them, minus any damage caused by transist.

And what happened.

The fuckers not only sent my console back to me in worse condition than i sent it to them, scratched to fuck, top of the console was loose and makes a loud noise, they also threw away my console box.

Microsoft customer service then got worse as they refused to replace the console and my packaging even when i provided proof of what they told me, and me been me also provided pictures of the mint condition console before i sent it to them and then pictures of the damage they caused.

So yea, fuck xbox, never investing in them ever again, so tbf they can call its next shitbox what ever they like, i wont be buying it.

I am starting to wonder if your ex ran off with an xbox.

Consoles stay as consoles and pcs as pcs - its been like tht since video games started - end of the day xbox fked up with the name of the one it sounded silly then and still does now - and thts what happens when you try and combine the two

Have you ever actually read any history of computer games or paid attention to it?

The locked down console as Nintendo, Sega, Sony and MS play it is a relatively new invention, and even then took a while to catch on (the Amiga, which played just a small role in gaming, was pretty free and clear until way late in the day) and if it wants to go away I am more than OK with that.

ombus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh dear you think Microsoft enjoy reading the hammering its getting- in the background I bet ther arguing and shouting with each other saying things like I'm sending my cv to sony I'm gonna piss on Yr xbox or fk achievements I'm gonna be a trophy hunter now
If they are a company that can create hadware so bad designed that it breaks easily ( red ring of death ) and be just fine.. then i am sure this name thing is a grain of sand in the company life..
People will buy it whatever name it has.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So what they're saying is...instead of confusing consumers who will probably think the Xbox Series X is just an xbox one x...they're just going to call it an xbox.
No yeah, that'll fix the problem.

I think they need to fire the entire marketing department.

diggeloid

Alex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why couldn't they just call it the Xbox 4 and be done with it? Or just jump straight to Xbox 5 so they don't feel left behind. That would've been less stupid than this confusing jumble of names they've got going on. Holiday shopping next year is going to be a very confusing time for non-techie gift buyers.

abilaunken

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I undestand the need to lauch mutiples version at diferent price range, but they should named one by one like scarlet and etc.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Wut. Why would you even bother with the customer support? Bro keep your damn receipts what'd you do stick it in a big mac on the way home? Just return it to the damn store if it's faulty out of the box on launch day. Only Nintendo ever have stocking issues, would've been a week tops before you got a new one and hell it didn't even sell out where I live.

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
"I got Halo on Xbox!"
"Man, I had that a while ago on the first Xbox."
"Which Xbox was the first one?"
"Xbox."
"But that's what I've got!"
"You bought it at a pawn shop?"