Microsoft clarifies the naming scheme behind the next-gen Xbox

1IIi95f.png

During this year's Game Awards, Microsoft stole most of the spotlight by revealing the name of their next-generation gaming console. Or so we thought. Originally revealed as the Xbox Series X, the latest system in the line of Microsoft's consoles, the name garnered confusion and ridicule. Now, Microsoft has decided to clarify what exactly the new moniker means, amidst the outcry. The fourth-generation Xbox console, final form of the Project Scarlett, and successor to the Xbox One will actually just be called Xbox. The Series X part of the name is just a branding subtitle, to "allow room for additional consoles in the future", according to the company. So, theoretically, rather than the current naming scheme, which sees Microsoft selling the Xbox One, Xbox One S, and Xbox One X, the "Series X" name will help consumers choose between different models of the new Xbox, such as the highly-rumored discless streaming-only Xbox.

The name we're carrying forward to the next generation is simply Xbox," a Microsoft representative told Business Insider. "And at The Game Awards you saw that name come to life through the Xbox Series X.

"Similar to what fans have seen with previous generations, the name 'Xbox Series X' allows room for additional consoles in the future," the Microsoft rep told us.

Tags: [PLATFORM=/platform/xbox-series-x]Xbox Series X[/PLATFORM]

:arrow: Source (Exclusive interview via Business Insider)

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
They may as well then just do Xbox 4 or jump to Xbox 5 and just fix their whole naming scheme. Companies have just simply jump numbers before.
Imagine being an alien who collects game consoles, and not being able to find the Xbox 2 through Xbox 359...

supersaiyandoyle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They thought just Xbox was BETTER than Xbox Series X? I know they've got it into their heads that brand recognition is important, but costumer confusion only continues to get worse.

"Can I get an Xbox?"
"Xbox number one, or the latest?"
"Isn't Xbox number One the latest?"
"No, that came first."
"How can Xbox One be first if the 360 came before it?"
"The 360 came out after Xbox."
"I heard about that new console, Xbox Series X"
"No, that's the Xbox, which is not in stores yet. Different from the Xbox, which hasn't been in stores in more than a decade."

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sex is actually the name of shop firmware or kiosks for the ps3, so that acronym has been used before. it obviously doesn't mean the same thing though.

Reactions: DinohScene

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think scarlett will be Xbox 2X (and its sequel, Xbox 3X). The cheapy version will be Xbox 2S.
So there will probably be an X Series and S Series for different price/performance classes.

What really gets me is people that actually thought they would use "Series X" as the actual name.
Come on you goofs, "Series" implies multiple iterations and names. :P
So what you're saying is we're in for a variety of xboxsex? A lot of choices to enjoy all the wonderful xboxsex content? :P

Problem with how they handled it, even if it does come out as you suggest, it will look reactionary rather than part of the plan. And that's assuming microsoft is going to do something which makes sense :P But if they want to try and create something consistent, I'm all for that. As long as they improve the god-awful UI, I really don't mind what they call it.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
This just in: Microsoft half-assedly excuses the poor naming scheme with a very vague and blanket statement of "It's simply 'Xbox'".. Yet.. We see they've tacked on a tasteless moniker. Stop it, Microsoft. You're drunk. Go home.

Reactions: Silent_Gunner

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
So what you're saying is we're in for a variety of xboxsex? A lot of choices to enjoy all the wonderful xboxsex content? :P

Problem with how they handled it, even if it does come out as you suggest, it will look reactionary rather than part of the plan. And that's assuming microsoft is going to do something which makes sense :P But if they want to try and create something consistent, I'm all for that. As long as they improve the god-awful UI, I really don't mind what they call it.
I definitely agree with you on the UI part. It looks like a cheap-ass Roku UI.

You spend 4-$500 on a premium game console (X1X), and they reward you with an interface that screams, "cookie-cutter media box". It's a slap in the face.

Last edited by zoogie,
Reactions: THYPLEX and osaka35

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
they are so stupid they can't even name their consoles anymore. it's like they are deliberately sabotaging the xbox so it can die and they can just have all their games on steam forever. :lol:

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Guys at microsoft are genius.. What better way to get publicity.. Let other people talk about your product.
Oh dear you think Microsoft enjoy reading the hammering its getting- in the background I bet ther arguing and shouting with each other saying things like I'm sending my cv to sony I'm gonna piss on Yr xbox or fk achievements I'm gonna be a trophy hunter now

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
XBOX X Series is a great name. Every youtuber is just overreacting and the sheep people just follow them.

Xboner received the same ridicule when it was announced.
But that yeh, certainly more original then Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3 ect.

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Xboner received the same ridicule when it was announced.
But that yeh, certainly more original then Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3 ect.
The playstation doesn't need to be more original the brand name is so huge everyone recognises it and going in number order like films is a natural thing - we kno you like xbox over sony but you can't defend its mess with its recent console names

D

Deleted User

Xbox -> Xbox 360 -> Xbox One -> Xbox

Are you fucking kidding me? Seriously, which fucking joker over in Redmond is naming this shit?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs