Microsoft changing how Xbox Live Gold and Game Pass subscriptions work in the U.K.

Social_1920x1080.jpg

Following an investigation by the Competition and Markets Authority in the U.K., Microsoft will be making changes to the way it handles automatically renewing subscriptions to Game Pass and Xbox Live Gold. Microsoft will be making the following changes:
  • Better upfront information: Microsoft will provide more transparent, upfront information to help customers understand their Xbox membership – making clear, for example, that the subscription will auto-renew unless the customer turns off auto-renewal; when the subscription will auto-renew; how much it will cost; and how the customer can receive a refund after an accidental renewal.​
  • Refunds: Microsoft will contact existing customers on recurring 12-month contracts and give them the option to end their contract and claim a pro-rata refund.​
  • Inactive memberships: Microsoft will also contact existing customers who haven’t used their memberships for a long time but are still paying. These customers will be reminded how to stop payments, and if they continue not to use their memberships, Microsoft will ultimately stop taking further payments.​
  • Better information about price increases: Microsoft will give clearer notifications of any future price rises, and will ensure people know how to turn off auto-renewal if they don’t want to pay the higher price.​
It is currently unknown if Microsoft will bring these changes to other areas.

The CMA is also investigating auto-renewal practices by Sony and Nintendo, so we will likely see similar changes from them soon. "Other companies offering memberships and subscriptions that auto-renew should take note, and review their practices to ensure they comply with consumer protection law," noted Michael Grenfell, Executive Director of Enforcement at the CMA.

:arrow: Source

|<roni&g

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did I miss something? Where does it say paying for multiplayer is going away?
It doesn't, I could of worded it better. I think rocket league is free but that's not good enough we need the multiplayer barrier down and they should advertise the fact multiplayer is free to draw in more people and a portion of those people would sub to gamepass

AngryCinnabon

Resident Iron Valiant
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
I like how a relatively minor pro consumer news story deteriorated into a load of bullshit bickering.

Good job temp!
Just how temp is these days I guess, could be far worse though.

Overall this is a change for the better but it fucking sucks that it's only being for done for and because the UK basically demands it. I'd appreciate this as a global change, but like that's ever gonna happen.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Remember, when ever you get a free trial on anything, and are scared you might forget about it, use a privacy card. They're burner cards that you fund with your debit card. You can set a limit to it, and have the card close automatically after x uses or days.

You can even make multiple burner cards a month. It's free, useful as fuck, and allows me to get 1 dollar Gamepass trials forever. lol

Reactions: Ace_Axel

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Auto-Renewal is something companies hope that customers forget it's activated and get charged for it.
Amazon is bad because of Bezos. But I was sincerely impressed when I forgot to cancel the monthly Prime subscription and I was able to cancel the same day I got the charge and got the money back. Without human assitance, everything from the subscription page by pressing 2 or 3 buttons.

Can't remember any other subscription from any other company that let's you do this without calling or sending an email to support. And even then, not many of them give you your money back.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Amazon is bad because of Bezos. But I was sincerely impressed when I forgot to cancel the monthly Prime subscription and I was able to cancel the same day I got the charge and got the money back. Without human assitance, everything from the subscription page by pressing 2 or 3 buttons.

Can't remember any other subscription from any other company that let's you do this without calling or sending an email to support. And even then, not many of them give you your money back.
I pay the yearly plan for Amazon prime. To me, it's totally worth it. That comes to $6.66 CDN per month, pretty cheap. I feel no shame just ordering a $3 pack of gum free shipping with prime every so often. There is good contents on Prime Video, and as you said the customer service is pretty good, too. And I'm lazy, I don't like going to physical stores with this covid shit out there.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Nothing new here... And it gets worse with each passing day... Which is why I mostly just lurk around.
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I'm the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're fucking dead, kiddo.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hopefully Sony follow M$'s lead.
I canned my Xbox Gold Sub when I jumped to PS+, but I only update my PS+ when I can get a massively reduced rate... once or twice the auto renew has kicked in and fucked me over to the tune of an additional +20 quid I ordinarily wouldn't have coughed up.

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thats simple. its about time you yankees said sorry to the crown and rejoined our empire. The british empire takes good care of our consumers.

:p1ng:
I mean as much as the UK and EU have problems, that is true to an extent.

Hell I think Germany is trying to rip Facebook out of Oculus, which would be neat if it does happen. They seem far more adapt to understanding the problems of technology and tech companies than we do, mainly because all of our leaders are over the age of 50 and lack knowledge of how things worked since around the 80's.

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good to see both Nintendo and Sony are mentioned too. Why is the article only about Microsoft making changes? Nintendo and Sony dragging their feet?

I agree the changes are require I've no idea what Nintendo are like with regards consumer rights, refunded, etc. I've found Microsoft to be fairy Good, so far.

Sony on the other hand are just as as you'd expect, a nightmare. No respect for the consumer, or their rights.

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Your problem is having said that the great British empire made the world great while failing to.mention that half the middle east conflicts and African issues with developing are entirely linked to the British empire
On behalf of the United Kingdom, I formally do not apologise for freeing your precious slaves.

Shitposting turns to arguments. Of course.

I mean, I guess it's nice for a spot of capitalism in my nation to go with us - the people - putting the squeeze on these ridiculous tyrannical lockdowns - now solve the problem of massed wealth transfer from small businesses to global megacorpos being mandated by the fashy types ordering Antifa around. Or the dingy divers.

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Auto-Renewal is something companies hope that customers forget it's activated and get charged for it.
That's just why I buy them in a shop as physical, so I get a code to add funds to the eshop itself and get online and make sure there's less money on it which is always the case lol. Then they can't charge.

In the case of 'mobile gaming', I don't even have a dime on it, so Nintendo could try all they want with Mario Kart Tour, REKT them real hard when I got their free trial back in the day and got a note my subscription has ended and can't be renewed. HAHA GET REKT.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask...