Microsoft CEO Candidate Considering Selling Xbox Brand, Killing Bing

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Gahars, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    We're a) on a video game forum, and b) on the internet, so I'd hope you know what the Xbox and Bing are. What you might not know (but maybe could've guessed) is that neither have been very profitable for Microsoft. For a business, that's sort of problematic.

Not to worry, though. With Steve Ballin'-more on the way out, Microsoft is searching for a new CEO. One of the candidates, former Nokia CEO Stephen Elop (great last name or greatest last name?), has big plans if he's placed in charge...

:arrow:The Verge

Damn, he's a straight-shooter with upper management written all over him. How could anyone compete with that? The race is Stephen Elop-sided.

It's hard to imagine Microsoft bailing out on Xbox and Bing, but there's a lot to be gained from such a move. Microsoft could boosts its earnings by 40% without these "distractions", at least according to one analyst. At the end of the day, money is money, and Stephen Elope-with-me-please is clearly in the money business. When you can't Bing It, you have to fling it.

Of course, there's no guarantee that he'll become CEO or actually go through with such a move, but it's still fascinating to consider. It might sound fruity, but that's why you need a guy like Stephen Cant-elop.

Lacius likes this.

2. UltraMew

UltraMew GBATemp's Mew PRETENDING TO BE FOXI4 4 A DAY

Banned
    Aug 7, 2013
    United States
    Flying a blue hedgehog around
    Sell the Xbox brand to Nintendo :rofl:

Duo8, KingVamp and Maxternal like this.
  3. GameWinner

GameWinner Take your heart

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    I swear, this forum wants Nintendo to buy everything. :unsure:

McHaggis, T Link7 and clarky like this.
  4. EZ-Megaman

EZ-Megaman Likeanator

Aug 11, 2009
    I'm pretty certain he wasn't serious...

5. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Sell the Xbox brand to Sega, get Dreamcast 2 Dreambox 2 ;O;

PLEASE

Bobbyloujo, TehSkull, Langin and 7 others like this.
  6. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Even if they did, I'm guessing it would happen only after the Xbone is kinda dead. They spent all the money on R&D already, it makes no sense to cut support before it even had a chance to earn them money.

7. Blaze163

Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

Nov 19, 2008
    Coventry, UK
    I'd understand bailing on Bing, I don;t use it or know anyone who does, but I'd have thought the Xbox brand was pretty profitable to them. Are they really losing that much money on it?

8. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Honestly, other then Xbox users on the 360 and IE users, who uses Bing anyway?

I kinda want to be cryogenically suspended and woken up 10 years into the future.
    I'm kinda interested to see how things have turned out since every company is getting desperate these days

9. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Bing...that's like google for those who don't know how to set a search engine or install a browser, right? :P Damn right to kill it.

But giving up on xbox is...not a smart move to reveal publicly at this point. Ideally, you want this sort of thing to remain hidden and top secret until A) the first sales figures of the one come in, and B) you've got someone who can and is serious about buying it.

Because honestly...who WOULD buy xbox? Nintendo would at best buy some technology. Sony would laugh them out of the room. EA and Ubisoft probably can't afford it, and if they would, they would somehow fuck things up for other developers. A year ago, Valve would be the main candidate. But they're probably way too far into getting everything ready for steam machines to even consider it. And other majors (AMD, intel, samsung, nvidia, ...)...I think they'll wait to see how things will turn out.

Still...I've got to admit I like this sort of decisions. Office on android and iOS should really be a focus for them (smartphones and tablets are taking over the business floor, and microsoft should really be there for them if they start replacing the common laptops and desktop pc's).

10. Zaide

Zaide GBAtemp Regular

Apr 2, 2009
    United States
    Seriously. I remember doing the whole "bing quiz" where it shows you results of a search from google and bing and you have to choose which one you like better without knowing which is which, and it straight up told me that I like google better. Bing sucks.

11. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    I don't think that many people used Bing to begin with and I doubt it would be very profitable to anyone.
    As for the Xbox, I do recall reading somewhere that M$ was actually losing money on making the 360, which is pretty bad actually if that's true. Not to mention the mixed results the Xbox ONE is getting, it might actually be a wise business idea to sell the brand before it causes anymore damages to the overall company.

12. shakirmoledina

shakirmoledina Legend

Oct 23, 2004
    Tanzania
    Dar es Salaam
    "considering" is the key word there.

bing, yes do sell it although it has potential, just not worth fighting for.

they want to channel their energy into works they know they can develop and profit from.

TyBlood13 likes this.
  13. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    I can see both not making the most money but as far as I can see both of them are necessary as platforms of a sort for Microsoft to put stuff out onto. On the other hand if they are willing to pull the trigger on DirectX themselves I am probably not likely to shed a tear.

On the other hand they all seem to want to follow IBM and become a business type thing (crippling technet being one of the first steps).

14. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Good, Bing was useless except to those who stuck with IE as far as I'm concerned, but the Xbox brand talking about being sold is baffling.

Hasn't Nintendo suffered enough?

T Link7, KingVamp and Maxternal like this.
  15. MushGuy

MushGuy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 11, 2010
    United States
    If Nintendo buys the XBox, does it mean they will buy Rare back, too? Hmmm.

Maxternal likes this.
  16. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

Rare is dead, it's not the same Rare we all loved and cared about. They haven't made a good game in a long time.

17. MushGuy

MushGuy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 11, 2010
    United States
    Yeah, you're right. What's the use now?

18. Maxternal

Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Nov 15, 2011
    Deep in GBAtemp addiction
    But ... but ... but ... I want my OLD Rare back. Those were the good old days.
    Oh well, *takes off nostalgia glasses*

ßleck and the_randomizer like this.
  19. Blaze163

Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

Nov 19, 2008
    Coventry, UK
    What if Sony bought the Xbox brand and had near total dominance over the market? With only the failing WiiU for competition. Would this be a good or bad thing? Discuss.

20. Maxternal

Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Nov 15, 2011
    Deep in GBAtemp addiction
    But what would they call it ... the PSXBox4 One? Doesn't exactly roll off your tongue.