Microsoft brings more classic games to backwards compatibility, such as Morrowind, Conker, and more

BC-OG-940x529-hero.jpg

Microsoft will be bringing more original Xbox games to its Xbox One backwards compatibility program, with two new sets of releases set for later this month. Starting on April 17, Xbox One users will be able to play the following games:

• Blinx: The Time Sweeper
  • Breakdown
  • Conker: Live and Reloaded
  • The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
  • Hunter: The Reckoning
  • Jade Empire
  • Panzer Dragoon Orta
  • SSX3
Following that, more games will become playable on the 26th of April, such as:

• Destroy All Humans!
  • Full Spectrum Warrior
  • Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction
  • MX Unleashed
  • Panzer Elite Action: Fields of Glory
  • Star Wars Battlefront
  • Star Wars Battlefront II
  • Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
  • Star Wars Jedi Starfighter
  • Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
  • Star Wars Republic Commando
If you still own the discs to these games, you can pop them into your Xbox One system, and they will download to your console so that you can play them once more. If you don't, you can purchase them through the Microsoft Store for varying prices. If you have an Xbox One X, then you even get better enhanced graphics and framerate for these classic titles.

A handful of 360 games are also getting enhanced backwards compatibility updates for the Xbox One X--Star Wars: Force Unleashed, Sonic Generations, Portal 2, Red Dead Redemption, Gears of War 2, and Darksiders will run better than when they initially launched.

:arrow: Source

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a copy of Crimson Sea, Mech Assult, Shadow the Hedgehog (Was a birthday Gift) And Mega Man Anniversary Collection. If they can put those games on the list, then my dad can try them out. Crimson sea is a interesting game to be honest, I wish they did a HD version. :)

Reactions: FateForWindows

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not an Xbox guy but I hope Sony takes notes, this is how emulation and backward compatibility should be done.

Slowly over time and incompletely? Reading about how the XBox 360 pulled off software emulation of the original XBox was pretty amazing. I'll still take an original Xbox over an XBox One, though. Don't get me wrong: I like backwards compatibility. But, I wouldn't say this is remotely the right approach. The right approach is to have backwards compatibility in mind from the start and built it in to the hardware if necessary. The approach Microsoft has taken means that popular titles are supposed while unpopular ones tend not to be. The core of backwards compatibility is supporting even the games no one plays.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I first played Morrowind on the OG Xbox when it first came out. I, uhhh, would not recommend the console version. The loading times after a while became ahem so crazy that I started using the cheats, because I was scared to die and suffer through a 7 minute loading screen(yes, I timed it.).,

Still cool though of Microsoft.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Slowly over time and incompletely? Reading about how the XBox 360 pulled off software emulation of the original XBox was pretty amazing. I'll still take an original Xbox over an XBox One, though. Don't get me wrong: I like backwards compatibility. But, I wouldn't say this is remotely the right approach. The right approach is to have backwards compatibility in mind from the start and built it in to the hardware if necessary. The approach Microsoft has taken means that popular titles are supposed while unpopular ones tend not to be. The core of backwards compatibility is supporting even the games no one plays.

Here's the thing. The backwards compatibility on the One is taking advantage of the One's hardware. The games look noticeably better and perform at higher standards, as well. These games they're slowly adding are being tested, one by one, before being finalized.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I first played Morrowind on the OG Xbox when it first came out. I, uhhh, would not recommend the console version. The loading times after a while became ahem so crazy that I started using the cheats, because I was scared to die and suffer through a 7 minute loading screen(yes, I timed it.).,

Still cool though of Microsoft.

Maybe the better hardware will all but kill the loading times? :O

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo does/did backcomp best, at least, on 3DS and Wii U.
Aside from Nintendo's though, Xbox One does it pretty good, considering it's emulation rather than native backcomp.
PlayStation 4, however... nothing, not a thing. Shame.

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's the thing. The backwards compatibility on the One is taking advantage of the One's hardware. The games look noticeably better and perform at higher standards, as well. These games they're slowly adding are being tested, one by one, before being finalized.

Do you honestly think they're going to bring back 100% of games over? I mean, it's great that they're improving the look and everything, but most games look really good at 480p on an original XBox; the only major improvement would be faster load times. XBoxes are cheap and a lot of games are really cheap as well. You can dump all your games on an internal HDD, and it really is a pretty nice like almost-PC.

Does the XBox One offer much faster load times for XBox games? Are they comparable to what you'd get on your softmodded XBox internal HDD? How do the visuals compare to 480p? I'm not trying to be overly harsh on not listen to the potential advantages. But it'd seem you'd need something compelling if you have to give up playing several games in your collection.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Do you honestly think they're going to bring back 100% of games over? I mean, it's great that they're improving the look and everything, but most games look really good at 480p on an original XBox; the only major improvement would be faster load times. XBoxes are cheap and a lot of games are really cheap as well. You can dump all your games on an internal HDD, and it really is a pretty nice like almost-PC.

Does the XBox One offer much faster load times for XBox games? Are they comparable to what you'd get on your softmodded XBox internal HDD? How do the visuals compare to 480p? I'm not trying to be overly harsh on not listen to the potential advantages. But it'd seem you'd need something compelling if you have to give up playing several games in your collection.
Did I say that? I sure as hell don't want all of the Xbox games. Just the enticing ones, which they're already starting to bring over.... and I haven't tested every single game out there. If you've got an OG Xbox modded to your hearts' delight with all the games you may never actually play? Then why bother with BC? The visuals are much sharper, and noticeably better than 480p. It's a matter of preference, but worth it in my humble opinion.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did I say that?

Sorry, I'm not trying to misquote you. I'm just saying that following in the footsteps of Microsoft with their backwards compatibility seems like it's inevitably a compromise where you only can play the games they've tested and deem worthy of inclusion. I don't want Microsoft being a gatekeeper, no matter how well intentioned they are.

I sure as hell don't want all of the Xbox games. Just the enticing ones, which they're already starting to bring over.... and I haven't tested every single game out there.

I haven't tested every single game on the XBox, so I don't even know what all the enticing ones are. Also, just because a game is enticing to you doesn't mean it's enticing to me and vice versa.

If you've got an OG Xbox modded to your hearts' delight with all the games you may never actually play? Then why bother with BC?

Actually, I want my XBox with all the games I want to play. The only way to find out which ones those are is to find them. So, go to thrift shops, buy the ones that look interesting, and then play them. Or read reviews from other people and form a list on what to look for. If I'm stuck to the BC list that Microsoft supports, then I'm potentially severely limiting myself.

The visuals are much sharper, and noticeably better than 480p. It's a matter of preference, but worth it in my humble opinion.

It's definitely a matter of preference. I have no qualms about having sharper visuals. But that alone isn't enough to make me give up true BC. If I ever do get an XBox One, it won't be for BC. It'll be for the XBox One games. I'd rather see Sony follow in the footsteps of Nintendo in having 99.9%* backwards compatibility, not Microsoft.

Anyways, that was my main point.

* Admittedly even Nintendo fails at various times for various reasons. You can't reasonably play Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble on a Gameboy Player--although people have tried. If Microsoft gets to that point, I'll change my tune.

DRAGONBALLVINTAGE

The GBATemp Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No Budokai HD Collection
Raging Blast 1 and 2

DBZ does not get bc love :(

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Shit Bandai even had a Bandai Namco Sale on PS4 PS2 games NO DBZ BT3 IM LIKE WTF THATS ONE OF YOUR BEST SELLING PS2 GAMES PEOPLE HAVE REQUESTED THAT YOU MAKE IT BC OR PORT TO PS4 AND YOU DO THAT?

brunocar

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
good emulation beats partial emulation like that of the second batch PS3 phats, hell, the full emulation of the PS2 classics is alone a ton better than that, sure having full hardware is always better, but that means that the console is gonna be a hell of a lot more expensive and that some features will be broken due to missing peripherals, which can be fixed on emulation with code injection.

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sure having full hardware is always better, but that means that the console is gonna be a hell of a lot more expensive

That explains the Wii U and Wii. Or the 3DS, DS, and GBA. Oh, right, no. Yes, it'd cost more to support older systems, but over time that old hardware becomes ridiculously cheap. PS2 on a chip and XBox on a chip could have been a real thing. Instead we saw PS2 support dropped and XBox done through emulation. Would BC have made the systems more expensive? Almost certainly because they kept changing core CPUs. Drastically more expensive? Probably not. I mean, the PS3 kept PS1 support.

that some features will be broken due to missing peripherals, which can be fixed on emulation with code injection.

Actually that really depends on the setup. Peripherals being emulated in software while having 99% of the hardware there is the most likely circumstance. Code injection is of course another possibility. Really it's up to the hardware designer to figure out how much they want to support in real hardware and how. For instance, the Wii U dropping the Gamecube controller and memory card slots was a cost cutting thing that dropped Gamecube BC to save money. It wasn't drastically more expensive. Nintendo simply chose it wasn't worth it to them to support it. Personally, I think that was a bad move.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, I'm not trying to misquote you. I'm just saying that following in the footsteps of Microsoft with their backwards compatibility seems like it's inevitably a compromise where you only can play the games they've tested and deem worthy of inclusion. I don't want Microsoft being a gatekeeper, no matter how well intentioned they are.

I haven't tested every single game on the XBox, so I don't even know what all the enticing ones are. Also, just because a game is enticing to you doesn't mean it's enticing to me and vice versa.

Actually, I want my XBox with all the games I want to play. The only way to find out which ones those are is to find them. So, go to thrift shops, buy the ones that look interesting, and then play them. Or read reviews from other people and form a list on what to look for. If I'm stuck to the BC list that Microsoft supports, then I'm potentially severely limiting myself.

It's definitely a matter of preference. I have no qualms about having sharper visuals. But that alone isn't enough to make me give up true BC. If I ever do get an XBox One, it won't be for BC. It'll be for the XBox One games. I'd rather see Sony follow in the footsteps of Nintendo in having 99.9%* backwards compatibility, not Microsoft.

Anyways, that was my main point.

* Admittedly even Nintendo fails at various times for various reasons. You can't reasonably play Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble on a Gameboy Player--although people have tried. If Microsoft gets to that point, I'll change my tune.

All I'm saying is that this is good for me, as there's a stigma with me owning old hardware. I've got a growing collection of old games and systems that are gathering dust because I'm too lazy to set something up for them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    the vram is one advantage when it comes to AI but ends up being slower even with that and really AI is the only use case that needs more than 12gb vram right now
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Interesting lol
    I think I watched a video where two games at 4K where eating just over 16GB of RAM and it's the one case where the 7900XT and XTX pulled ahead (minus RTX of course)
    So my opinion is that they could age a bit better in the future, and maybe AMD will continue improving them via drivers like they tend to do. No guarantee there but they have done it in the past. Just a feeling I have.
    cyberpunk at 4k without DLSS/fidelityfx *might* exceed 12gb
    +1
    but that game barely runs at native 4k
    I think it was some newer games and probably poorly optimized PS4 or PS5 ports
    they definitely will age better but i feel dlss might outweigh that since it looks about as good as native resolution and much less demanding
    +1
    When I played Cyberpunk on my old 2080 Ti it sucked lol
    AMD could introduce something comparable to DLSS but nvidia's got a lot more experience with that
    least amd 7xxx has tensor cores which the previous generations didn't so there is the potential for AI upscaling
    They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great
    so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously
    Oh yeah those new 8000 CPUs have AI cores built in that's interesting
    Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?
    Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more
    Tandem even
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to...