Microsoft announces plan to shut down online for Halo titles on the Xbox 360 by next year

c3Fd6A2.png

You have about a year left to experience the online services for seven Halo titles, if you're still playing them on the Xbox 360, or through backwards compatibility. 343 has announced that after many years, and an ever-dwindling playerbase, it's time to "sunset" the servers for Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, Halo Wars, Spartan Assault, Halo: ODST, Halo 3, Halo 4, and Halo: Reach. By December 2021, anything involving online will no longer work, which means online matchmaking won't work, certain achievements will no longer be obtainable, filesharing, and other smaller features will be gone for good. Obviously, the singleplayer campaigns of each of the games will still be fully playable offline. This sunsetting also applies to the lineup, even if you're playing them on the Xbox One, or the Xbox Series X|S. Digital copies of all of these games have also been delisted, following the announcement. For those still interested in playing these games online, there's always The Master Chief Collection, or Halo Wars: Definitive Edition, which will both continue to be supported for a long time to come.

:arrow: Source

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It usd to be three games but games keep getting added to it.

Currently is Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, Halo 2: Anniversary, Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, Halo: Reach, and Halo 4,

I know it launched in a lousy state, but my understanding is the collection plays great across the board now. I don't own it, but it's hard to deny that a collection of 6 titles of that scale really is a great deal. Meanwhile, the Mega Man and Mega Man X collections had to be split into 2 releases per franchise, most with only 4 games (exception being the first with 6). To this day I don't get that, the GameCube era Mega Man collections had more games in their releases.

omgcat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
while I'm sad to see it go, 15ish years of solid online server status is commendable, also very expensive. i can't believe the Xbox 360 came out 15 years ago, feels like 3 years ago to me. :(

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know it launched in a lousy state, but my understanding is the collection plays great across the board now. I don't own it, but it's hard to deny that a collection of 6 titles of that scale really is a great deal. Meanwhile, the Mega Man and Mega Man X collections had to be split into 2 releases per franchise, most with only 4 games (exception being the first with 6). To this day I don't get that, the GameCube era Mega Man collections had more games in their releases.
I liked anniversary collection on the Xbox and ps2, since it had remixed music in navi mode. The cube doesn't, and from what I've heard, it's due to space on the mini DVD. I have the actual game for the ps2 and a rip for my jtag. :D. I've played it on nintendont after fixing the controls with @FIX94 's fix. They really fucked up the controls in that game.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

I got the PS2 version, slighty crappier but still good.

Anyway yeah, if you want to keep playing these games online get the Master Chief collection. Not only is finally out for Windows 10, but also for Xbox Series S/X and it does keep getting updates.

It may be annoying to buy the games again if you already have them but unlike the Majora Mask ports is totally worth it.

D

Deleted User

Halo 3. Good times.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

We need some sort of preservation law to stop things like this from happening, I'm not a Halo guy but the 360 players that are should be able to play it without modifications 10 years from now.

We need to make it clear the 3ds online is not to be shut down
Must not be or will not? Inevitably, it will.

Plus, it's free so Nintendo will probably unplug it and WiiU's by 2021.

I am amazed they keep support for so long. Then again 54% of Xbox 360s broke down until the latest revision so... I guess it was some sort of apology?
Xbox 360 is still a modern console as is PS3 and so there's still an active customer base.

The difference is that customers on Xbox have to pay to play online whereas PS3 they don't. Some still play GTA V on PS3, it's mainly kids, I reckon.

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It’s the one where cortanta, an ai (spoiler alert for the five of you who don’t know what happens) somehow dies
Wouldn't an AI "die" if you took their core, or whatever, offline? Turned off power to the AI's mainframe, wiped the data, and all that?
Especially if the AI's not connected to another platform it could back itself up to.

So not surprised an AI could "die". As an outsider who's played only the first mission or so of HALO 1 (rescuing crewmates from the planet's surface, after the ship was destroyed), the Locke situation is worse.

Julie_Pilgrim

Secretly three raccoons in a trench coat
Trophies
Website
zoey-on-github.github.io
XP
Country
United States
Turned off power to the AI's mainframe
I don’t think you understand what a mainframe is

Then again this is the shooty space game why the fuck am I questioning how accurate their ai is

Reactions: eyeliner

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Being that the games have such a huge fan base I'm sure someone will still find a way to keep the online community thriving, though I'd assume your 360 will need a mod for that.

DDTarZan

Never getting laid again /s
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MCC on PC runs great, if you itch for any type of Halo in the cursed year of 2020, try that. The games are pretty preserved and even things are being added to the older games like the flamethrower in Halo 1 or ODST weapons in Halo 3's sandbox.

And now there's this gigantic awesome forge mod for Halo 3 called Arkbound that let's you fly pelicans, drive scarabs, spawn AI enemies, etc. You can basically make your own campaign map. It's pretty damn sweet.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

newo

Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
Everytime I see people talk about server costs I wonder if they are just repeating memes. Because Microsoft is a "server company" with billions of people online. THEY ARE IN THE BUSINESS OF ONLINE. Talking about difficulties in keeping servers up is nonsense. They spin up servers for new crap no one wants or asked for everyday. Its like saying minecraft is removing a block type because not enough people are using it and they are taking up space in the code. But hey, this is the online life - enjoy the privilege while you can.

|<roni&g

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Halo 3. Good times.

Must not be or will not? Inevitably, it will.

Plus, it's free so Nintendo will probably unplug it and WiiU's by 2021.

Xbox 360 is still a modern console as is PS3 and so there's still an active customer base.

The difference is that customers on Xbox have to pay to play online whereas PS3 they don't. Some still play GTA V on PS3, it's mainly kids, I reckon.

It's up to us the consumer to tell them no, it's not time to switch them off. Takes a mass of us to speak up & say we're not finished with them & here's why.

D

Deleted User

It's up to us the consumer to tell them no, it's not time to switch them off. Takes a mass of us to speak up & say we're not finished with them & here's why.
You have a point, but they are the owners so at the end of the day they decide what happens.

I'm surprised the online play is still active on PS3. For all its faults that SONY has, they've been very generous to PS3 users.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Darthagnon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I try to never play online games (except for io games, which I don't really care about). e.g. Monster Hunter World? I use mods to play over LAN with my brothers. COD or variants like Insurgency? again, I don't play unless I can mod it to play over LAN.

Wish more people considered online stuff dead-on-arrival, as it will inevitably disappear like this. Or that there was a law for online games that "when it dies, open-source the server components". I never got to try Dragon's Dogma Online, and, though there are fans trying to make servers for it, they haven't been able to do much due to encrypted stuff :'(

I've been thinking of playing Halo MCC; anyone know if it has LAN multiplayer on PC? (Grumble... wish they'd bring splitscreen, which I'm certain they don't have on PC yet)

Last edited by Darthagnon,

CrossOut

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It was going to happen sooner or later. I wonder if you could still do co op via lan? Then again most people will just get the new version on steam and such so it will not matter to much.

Reactions: Darthagnon

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night