Microsoft announces 512GB and 2TB expansion cards for Xbox Series X|S

Seagate_SEC_Family.jpg

When the Xbox Series X|S launched, there was only one official option for expanding your storage: the 1TB Seagate expansion card. While standard external drives can be used for extra storage, the Seagate storage expansion card was designed to match the exact specifications of the Series X|S, and was the only external storage option that you could play next-gen games directly from. Now, two new expansion cards are joining the Seagate lineup: a 512GB model and a 2TB model. These will function exactly like the original expansion cards, plugging into the bespoke port on the back of the console and allowing next-gen games to run directly from it.

One controversial point when the 1TB card released was the price. It launched at 219.99, just $80 short of an Xbox Series S, for just under double the storage that console came with. These two new cards are similarly expensive, however, as the 512GB card comes in at $139.99, and the 2TB card launches at $399.99.

The 512GB card will release in November and is currently available for pre-order from Wal-Mart. The 2TB card will launch in December with pre-orders going live next month.

:arrow: Source

DrHouse1337

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
When the Xbox Series X|S launched, there was only one official option for expanding your storage: the 1TB Seagate expansion card. While standard external drives can be used for extra storage, the Seagate storage expansion card was designed to match the exact specifications of the Series X|S, and was the only external storage option that you could play next-gen games directly from. Now, two new expansion cards are joining the Seagate lineup: a 512GB model and a 2TB model. These will function exactly like the original expansion cards, plugging into the bespoke port on the back of the console and allowing next-gen games to run directly from it.

One controversial point when the 1TB card released was the price. It launched at 219.99, just $80 short of an Xbox Series S, for just under double the storage that console came with. These two new cards are similarly expensive, however, as the 512GB card comes in at $139.99, and the 2TB card launches at $399.99.

The 512GB card will release in November and is currently available for pre-order from Wal-Mart. The 2TB card will launch in December with pre-orders going live next month.

:arrow: Source
$299 Canadian lol.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Not really 2TB NVME without heatsink is 419+ so price is fair to be honest

https://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/consoles/sonyps5/
https://www.nowinstock.net/computers/harddrives/seagate/

Pricing base off this, redirected from PS5 page.
Well, those are just the Seagate Firecuda, which are overpriced IMO, and even a couple of those show $370. There are like 5-6 other drives on Sony's approved list, and I'm looking at a site right now with the Samsung 980 Pro 2TB for $300.

Reactions: felix.200 and Kioku

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Gotta love the Tax of "just snap it in like a memory card from the good old days" vs tax free "open heart surgery" on the PS5.

The prices are exactly as high as I expected them to be and that's fine. if you don't like it then just don't buy it. There's always the option of just using a regular external hard drive to at least save some space on XBO, 360 and XB games.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
After digging around and comparing prices and the alleged speeds of the NVME drives in the Series X? The SN850 can be had for around $330-340 and is faster than the reported speeds on the consoles. Similarly specced drives can be found for cheaper. There's literally no justification for this.

Reactions: felix.200 and Xzi
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
For a split second, I thought those were memory cards, lol.
Suppose in a way they are, more or less.
I sure do miss the times of them ps1/2 days, ha...

To go on topic, oh boy, more overpriced shit from videogame companies, I can't believe it!

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No idea what Microsoft was thinking handing exclusive control of their storage options to Seagate. Every single drive I've bought from them has failed in relatively short order. And they think 512GB is worth $140? What a joke. Cost me only $90 for a PS5-compatible SSD of the same size (Western Digital).
Conversely, I've not had a single drive from WD that was anything but awful. WD still holds the (personal) record for having a hard disk fail on me in exactly 48 hours from when I brought it home. And even now, every single drive that is >= 2TB from them, runs hot enough to cook food on, and behaves like it's failing within five minutes of any sustained load.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Conversely, I've not had a single drive from WD that was anything but awful. WD still holds the (personal) record for having a hard disk fail on me in exactly 48 hours from when I brought it home. And even now, every single drive that is >= 2TB from them, runs hot enough to cook food on, and behaves like it's failing within five minutes of any sustained load.
Crazy, I've never had any issue with their products which is why I continue to buy them. I have a Western Digital mechanical HDD that's been used in three different desktop PC builds since 2008, still going strong in my current build. Regardless, I'd also go for a Samsung, Crucial, or Sabrent SSD before touching anything from Seagate ever again.

All electronics/PC components are prone to a certain percentage of DOA, but with Seagate it's almost as if they were designed to fail (right after the return and/or warranty period has expired, of course).

Last edited by Xzi,

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As mentioned, Seagate are a joke of a company, I'll just leave that as it is.

But after all of the progress Microsoft have made, they taken a huge step back here, huge.

Do they not remember Sony destroying their own portable handheld consoles due to greed (and "control").

The console was very good, the storage situation is laughable, at best. There a lot of people saying don't play Series X enhanced games (why buy the console). Copy them back and forth to an external. What do I want to pay close to half a grand for a console, a coupe hundred for a hard drive, but have the hassle of deleting and copying everything I want to play a different game? Not to mention wear and tear on the drive/flash themselves.

• Haha
Reactions: Bladexdsl

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
telegram may be the most convenient since it's on your phone. it's also more likely to be quick rather than an email. that's how I get amiibos. they no longer do texts with the ps5 due to the overwhelming number of them according to the site. I never had to do nowinstock for the ps5 or the switch. I just used @Hayato213 . ;)

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
telegram may be the most convenient since it's on your phone. it's also more likely to be quick rather than an email. that's how I get amiibos. they no longer do texts with the ps5 due to the overwhelming number of them according to the site. I never had to do nowinstock for the ps5 or the switch. I just used @Hayato213 . ;)

Lmao hiding Xbox Series X from you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.