Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
havokLogo-2zcpbvczb47c9mehocjv28.png
Today Microsoft has announced that Havok, the company behind many game's physics engines, is now a part of their brand. Luckily, the Havok engine isn't going to be exclusive to Microsoft games, they'll be licensing the engine out for use. It seems Microsoft will be using this acquisition for "building the most complete cloud service, which we’ve just started to show through games like Crackdown 3.”

:arrow: Source

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Intel were the previous owners if memory serves.

Anyway here is hoping they wind some of their tech into newer versions of directX.

xdarkmario

Philosopher
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can micro$oft FUCKING NOT! greedy ass monopoly company!
angry i am, yes indeed
first minecraft and now havok, that could really damage ties with nintendo now. havok made some good games on nintendo back in the day.
excuse me if i sound ignorant.
i doubt the whole "licence thing"

Last edited by xdarkmario,

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
can micro$oft FUCKING NOT! greedy ass monopoly company!
angry i am, yes indeed
first minecraft and now havok, that could really damage ties with nintendo now. havok made some good games on nintendo back in the day.
i doubt the whole "licence thing"
^
Every Nintenyearold reading this news.

Ignorant indeed.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So on the list of microsoft acquisitions you list minecraft, which has been over a year now and by most accounts they have not messed up, and now this? Fair enough if so but given this is the company that saw "embrace, extend, extinguish" become a term it does see me smile.
Also to the best of my knowledge Havok have not made games as much as a physics engine which companies can buy in to save making their own.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I hope this turns out to be more like their Minecraft purchase than their Skype purchase. Because right now they are still supporting other versions of Minecraft, but their Linux support for skype is just awful. So I tend to worry sometimes when Microsoft buys out things.

Last edited by The Catboy,

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
havok made some good games on nintendo back in the day.
At least you know it. Havok doesn't make games...it provides "a physics engine component and related functions to video games" (source).

And even then...I dare you to name "some good games on nintendo".
I mean...have you even looked at that list I mentioned? Nintendo hardly ever uses it in first party games (that mention of smash bros isn't even confirmed), and the third party titles that use(d) it are more shovelware than actual games.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

xdarkmario

Philosopher
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At least you know it. Havok doesn't make games...it provides "a physics engine component and related functions to video games" (source).

And even then...I dare you to name "some good games on nintendo".
I mean...have you even looked at that list I mentioned? Nintendo hardly ever uses it in first party games (that mention of smash bros isn't even confirmed), and the third party titles that use(d) it are more shovelware than actual games.
As I said I'm just going to be unreasonably ignorant.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Imagine that every Pokemon game is the exact same but with slight tweaks.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, I'm not much of a gaymer, more-so a creator.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    @SylverReZ Syl my beloved :bow: gm
    +1
    It is friday
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Last time I played a game was hmmm... can't exactly recall. :wacko:
    I can't believe you got me with that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7BVtGnlxT8