Hacking MicroSD USB 2.0 xp requests driver!?

PonderStibbons

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi all,

I just got a R4 + Kingston MicroSD 1gb package to put under the christmas tree for my little sister and I'm running into a little problem here.

When I connect the usb reader xp requests a driver (no driver need on xp... right), I let it do it's auto thing to no avail, browsed to the r4 cd, nothing on it in the way of a driver. googled a lot, no avail either and ofcourse did a search in the r4 forum here.

So basicly i'm stuck at step one, I don't have a drive in xp to copy the system files to,itwill just sit in device manager with a yellow exclamation mark waiting for a driver which I can't find.

anyone any tips? anyone know a generic driver for it?

thanks everyone in advance,
Ponder Stibbons

EDIT:
the aforementioned usb reader and stuff:
DSC00033.JPG

sorry for the quality, quick snap with phone cam.

User200

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Try this... go into device manager select the ? marked thingy(sorry little tired) and update the driver. when it runs the wizard(no not gandalf) select the option to hit up the web. I think its option 1. i'll also take a look around the web to see if i turn up anything. Can you post some info on the r4

worst case scenario the sd card or the reader could be busted

oh... here is something i picked up at the site... i don't know if it will help since i use a M3 simple but might as well take a look

http://www.r4ds.com/soft/3-other-en.htm

PonderStibbons

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
trying to let it find it itself online * connected media (cd'setc) was the first thing I did, it didn't find any driver.

the box I got included:

R4 Revolution cartridge
R4 Mini-CD
MicroSD Adapter
Kingston 1Gb MicroSD
and a generic grey black colored usb stick microSD reader on which the print simply reads "MicroSD USB 2.0".

I slide the microsd in the usb stick, connect the stick windows beeps up new device found and requests the driver.
It won'tgive me a drive to copy to without one apparently.

I don't have another reader and this thing is supposed to be under the christmas tree tomorrow.

I will probably follow the general advice I noticed here to get some brand, any brand reader instead of the bundled reader. But that won't solve christmas. (it's all very short notice, had a hard time finding a R4 around here)

could my xp be missing a generic driver which in most cases would be included?, I had it check my xp cd aswell (slipstreamed including sp2) but it didn't find what it needed.

im running xp pro sp2 32bit.

I'mnot used to this, even my sony phone with memorystick worked without any special drivers. my mp3 usb stick works too etc.. you get the picture, it's just this one ofcourse.

PonderStibbons

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
no problem mate, you are trying to help and it's very much appreciated!
smile.gif

I've downloaded the file but it cjust contains a .c and .h file. just gonna read it a bit further, thanks

ps and the identity in the device manager is very helpfull too...cough.... "Usb Reader" yay how generic can you get
smile.gif

azotyp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Poland
Correct me if im wrong but I think that only windows xp with servicer pack 2 have usb 2.0 support (download service pack 2 and all should work fine).

PonderStibbons

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
thanks but as I already mentioned I'm running SP2, I even slipstreamed my xp cd with sp2 ages ago.
besides that if any port or device or driver does not support 2.0 it will simply run slower on 1.1 as that is how the usb standard works for backwards compatibility.

also usb 1.1 or 2.0 does not matter, xp detects the device so that's fine, there's just not a driver for it and xp seems to want one.

Im looking for one but I can't find anything generic to try.

User200

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i meant to ask... where is it that its plugged in, meaning the Front or the back of your pc. I know that my pc is a bitch when i plug in my Micro SD card in the front but fine when its in the back ( leave the sick jokes behind(no pun intended))

Grimalkin

Waaaaaaaah!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
i meant to ask... where is it that its plugged in, meaning the Front or the back of your pc. I know that my pc is a bitch when i plug in my Micro SD card in the front but fine when its in the back ( leave the sick jokes behind(no pun intended))

Your onboards are probably USB 1.0 which is not compatible with the USB reader, the front panel is probably a Generic 2.0 Hub attached.

This might also be the same problem that the OP is having.

User200

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Your onboards are probably USB 1.0 which is not compatible with the USB reader, the front panel is probably a Generic 2.0 Hub attached.

This might also be the same problem that the OP is having.

they aren't, its all USB 2.0 seeming how i built it and all, its just that the front is a little bitch and the motherboard doesn't sit right, one port works alright, the other doesn't

i don't if you'd ever experience the "device found and ready to go, and then the device is ready to be removed" in a 2 second interval. Sometimes i get the issue with the drivers even though they are installed

PonderStibbons

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
EDIT removed /EDIT
I'll check back tomorrow or later, off to continue searching for a driver.

@user200
Thanks for reminding me, I've tried the backports as my case is a bit old (although 2.0 uses the same hardware as 1.1 as far as cable and ports go). Didn't change anything it detected the stick and the need for a driver just as well as on the front ports (sorry for being sarcastic).

some peopl, you need to read up on how usb works..
a usb 2.0 device will work fine on 1.1 ports (1.0 don't exist)
it will just work slower.

EDIT ps sorry for the above misread some replies that weren't meant towards me
smile.gif

im sorry..

@user200 again:

might be worthwhie checking your front ports cables and connections inside your pc case for wear and tear etc.
if your motherboard supports 2.0 and hasonly 2.0 ports on it, your front ports should provide 2.0 speed to 2.0 devices regardless of your case's age. the physicial wires and port on usb hasn't changed between 1.1 and 2.0, only software and controller chip.

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
In device manager, double click on the unknown device, in the popup that comes up select the details page. In the dropdown select "Hardware Ids" and tell me what it says in the bottom part (specifically looking for the 4 characters after VID, PID and REV - for example my card reader has VID_058F and PID_6366 and REV_0100). Also, if these numbers come up as all zeros there is a comm failure with your device/USB.

Seeing as you have a SD adapter with the microSD, why not just get a SD card reader locally? Personally, I've yet to find any of the card readers included with the cards to be reliable aside from the recent one I got with my TTDS (same as the one that comes with newer kingston microSDs.)

PonderStibbons

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
hi cory one second please

device-id: USB\VID_05E&PID_0715\000000009407

hardware-ids:
USB\Vid_05e3&Pid_0715&Rev_9407
USB\Vid_05e3&Pid_0715

If you don't want to do lengthy explanations on how to get info is not necessary for me but feel free ofcourse.

to answer your second question.

-this has to be giftwrapped and under the tree tomorrow evening (evening here now)
-stores are closed tomorrow because of christmas.
-putting an empty r4 under the tree is a bit lame.
-I paid for it, I want it to work.

4 good reasons I'd think.
If it don't work I'll get another reader after christmas when stores open again.

Grimalkin

Waaaaaaaah!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
1.0 don't exist

USB 1.0 was created in 1995. It was the cool thing to invest in at the time, and Microsoft, Intel, and other companies like US Robotics worked with the technology. Nice claim buddy.

USB 1.1 is 2.0 compliant.

USB 2.0 is 1.1 and 1.0 complaint.

USB 1.0 does not support 1.1 or 2.0

EDIT: In fact, I still have a PCI USB 1.0 Adaptor in the pile of machinery goodness in my garage.

PonderStibbons

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
you know what I mean 1.0 is almost not worth mentioning
and many initial 1.0 host controllers could be upgraded to 1.1 with firmware as it's for the most part a software change if I'm not mistaken. Add to that 1.1 has been in effect since '98 and 2.0 is backwards compatible with 1.1 that's almost 10 years of 1.1 usb controllers on which 2.0 devices work just slower.

to be clear I have a recent system (2007) with usb 2.0 support.

the problem is pretty simple yet the solution eluding.

xp detects the device (usb works, stick works, xp works etc)
xp requests driver

there is no driver....... can't find any I would arbitrarily try,and can't find much of anything as most sticks including this one come marketed as not needing a driver on xp.

verification my usb works: the picture of the r4 and stick above which I made with my phone and transfered to my pc at above 1.1 speed i.e. usb 2.0.

my complete system spec (a bit over the top for this issue but seeing the questions above)

AMD Athlon X2 4200+ AM2
MSI K9N SLI | nForce 570 MCP | SATA2 | PCIe 16x | Realtec HD audio | USB 2.0
3GB Corsair DDR2-667 Dual Channel
GeForce 7600GT 256MB PCIe
WD 320GB 7200RPM SATA2

USB 2.0 devices:
PB 512MB USB 2.0 MP3 Player/Stick
Sony Ericsson K810i Mobile Phone USB 2.0
Praktica 2MPix camera USB 1.1

Grimalkin

Waaaaaaaah!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Is the USB Port that your SD adapter plugged into an onboard port or an attached port? If so, you should check if you have a USB Host Controller driver that works.

If that doesn't work, it's probably the adapter. Or even worse, the SD card.

EDIT: cough, missed the word "driver"

woof811

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
just a thought mate it could be the memory card thats giving you trouble , have you got a mobile phone that uses a micro sd memory card ?

if so pop it in and let your mobile phone format the memory card and then try it back in the usb card reader and connect it to your pc .

let me know if it works mate , woof811.

PonderStibbons

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
if there would be something wrong with the hardware, why would xpdetect it and ask, quite normally for a driver?

PS I've edited and added my complete system on my last reply on the previous page and a list of verified working usb devices using the same port I'm trying the stick on.

I don't have a hub between the stick and the onboard usb port if you mean that by connected directly to the mainboard.
and if the hub were the problem im amazed xp asks for a driver to a device it cant see because of a hub
nyanya.gif
smile.gif

it's requesting a driver, so basicly im trying to find out where to get one without prying open the stick to see the hardware manufacturer..
The fact xp detects it and request a driver should verify the hardware is working, I do not get why all the questions about hardware working are asked.

@woof thought of that, alas my phone is a sony ericsson and ofcourse, sigh, uses sony's memory stick m2 cards
frown.gif

User200

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
there is nothing wrong with the setup, the motherboard has some general wear and tare, its just that one port other then that its all fine. i might have to tinker with the screws a bit.

there is nothing wrong with the speed either.

Here is the Driver that i am currently using with the usb stick...well at least the locations. here is what is shown:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\disk.sys

C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\PartMgr.sys

Hope this helps
smile.gif

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
it's requesting a driver, so basicly im trying to find out where to get one without prying open the stick to see the hardware manufacturer..
The fact xp detects it and request a driver should verify the hardware is working, I do not get why all the questions about hardware working are asked.

No, the fact that XP requests a driver shows it's NOT working at all. You can plug in anything that it can't recognize, and it will ask for a driver.

It can't read the device signature. Your hardware is wrong somewhere, or the reader is broken.

It's a USB mass storage device. Look for that for drivers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: +1