microSD showing wear...I think.

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by GeekyGuy, Jun 23, 2008.

Jun 23, 2008
  1. GeekyGuy
    OP

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    So, I put another game on my SD card, slid it back into my CycloDS Evo cart, and it kept saying "no card in DS." So, I removed the CycloDS a couple of times, but it didn't help. Then I removed the SD from the CycloDS, put it back in, and after a couple of tries, finally got it to work. However, when I removed the microSD card and looked at the metal slats, a few of them looked like they were either worn or had some schmeg on them -- I'm not sure which. I'd like to clean those slats if possible -- if it is only schmeg -- but of course, I'm afraid to cause any damage.

Anyone experience this before, and what's the best way to deal with it? Is likely that the SD card is just worn from constantly sliding it in and out of the CycloDS cart? I'm always very careful and attentive when inserting and removing the SD card from the CycloDS, so I'm not sure what to think. That said, the label on the CycloDS card has turned a slightly oily color -- not sure what that's from -- so I'm wondering if the slats just have some sort of residue on them.

Thanks

2. Quad5Ny

Newcomer Quad5Ny Member

United States
    Wet a paper towel in rubbing alcohol and wipe the microsd card off until no more dirt(black stuff) comes off. Make sure you wipe the contacts good. Then just dry it off with a clean paper towel, and give it a good blow(to get any dust off of it).

Also give the microsd slot in your cyclo a good blowing. And I would also suggest re-formating the card (full not quick) to detect and mark any bad sectors.

You can't really hurt the microsd card with the alcohol(hell, I've given mine a bath in it [​IMG] ), but I would be a little cautious about static electricity around the contacts(so don't go rubbing your feet on a carpet and then touching the contacts).

-Quad

3. Quad5Ny

Newcomer Quad5Ny Member

United States
    If you need to replace the card, you can get 4gb microSDHC cards these days extreamly cheap.

Cards in order of recommendation high to low.

A-data 4gb class 6 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820211196
    $17.49

transcend 4gb class 6
    - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820208408
    $17.99

kingston 4gb class 4 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820134527
    $19.25

sandisk 4gb class 2 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820171275
    $18.49

P.S. Yes, I love newegg [​IMG]

-Quad

4. Sticks

Member Sticks GBAtemp Regular

Australia
  5. Quad5Ny

Newcomer Quad5Ny Member

United States
    Oops, the class rating is for minimum write(not read) speeds.

* Class 2: 2 MB/s
    * Class 4: 4 MB/s
    * Class 6: 6 MB/s

-Quad

6. jabjab

Member jabjab GBAtemp Fan

United States
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    that card has one of the slowest random access times i have seen - almost 2ms
    the adata class 6 and 1gb jap kingstons are around 0.6ms

7. Upperleft

Member Upperleft Namcoholic

United Arab Emirates
    Backup your files NAO
    your microSD might die on you with all your saves ..that happened to me D:

8. GeekyGuy
    OP

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    All right. Thanks. I'll give that a try.

As for a new card, hopefully I won't need one right the now, but if I do, Team Cyclops seems to suggest the Kingston 1 or 2GB microSD (what I'm currenlty using), simply because of their speed -- they supposedly do better for some games that won't run properly otherwise.

9. xJonny

Member xJonny ...

You could try using another USB microsd reader and see if the problem is a crappy reader.

10. Shakraka

Member Shakraka GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Heh, I'm still just a kid inside.

11. Quad5Ny

Newcomer Quad5Ny Member

United States
    [​IMG]