MicroSD Class 4 or 10 for a R4i Gold RTS flashcart?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by DSpider, Jun 18, 2015.

1. DSpider
    OP

DSpider GBAtemp Fan

Mar 14, 2015
    Romania
    Hi.

I was thinking of purchasing a Kingston 8GB Class 4 microSD card, since it's pretty cheap now.

Class 4 = 4 MB/s
    Class 10 = 10 MB/s

Would a Class 10 card make any (in-game) difference? The USB transfer rates would be better, surely, but what about the games themselves? Would there be any framerate issues, loading issues (e.g. longer loading times, etc) if I were to go with a Class 4 card instead?

Last edited by DSpider, Jun 18, 2015
  2. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    No.
    Because, Class 4 cards have a read speed of about 13MB/s (could vary depending on card, but it's well above 10MB/s on average), as read is always faster than write. I don't think DS flashcarts can take advantage of UHS-I speeds, so even if you got a class 10 with 90mb/s read you wouldn't see much difference in load speed, if any.
    Read speed used to be an issue with certain games before SDHC came out, when it came out it solved all of those issues.

3. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    I'd just make sure to get a decent quality one, like from SanDisk. Some crappier SDHC cards do have issues with certain games, though any modern SDHC card shouldn't have that issue.

4. arcangelnew

arcangelnew Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 1, 2015
    Mexico
    I have 2 cards both sdhc, one is class 4 and the other 10, but the gameplay is the same, the difference is when you had a lot of games when browsing them the page refresh faster while you browse with the calss 10, secially if you have very big games like pokemon