microSD card speeds?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by callandor, Dec 22, 2006.

Dec 22, 2006

microSD card speeds? by callandor at 7:29 AM (966 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. callandor
    OP

Newcomer callandor Member

Singapore
    I've been doing some research and looking around, am still not too sure:

The Sandisk Ultra II runs at 66x? that's 10mb a sec right?

I can't seem to find any in the shops at brisbane at good prices, and the normal 1gb sandisks (cheap at 56) are out of stock...

I did see a Hyundai microSD at 1GB that was retailing at 74 bucks at supposedly 66x too, so am wondering if the speed of the ultra II is 66x?

if it is, i don't see why i should buy a sandisk ultra or normal...

so does anyone know what speeds they actually run at?

2. SynGamer

Member SynGamer GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I bought a Kingston 1 GB microSD the other day for $14.95, if you have google checkout, you can get it for $10 after a $10 rebate...

*Edit: sorry, not sure what speeds they run at, but you were mentioning prices of like $56 and $74...so perhaps you should look into the Kingston 1 GB?

3. callandor
    OP

Newcomer callandor Member

Singapore
    yeah i don't mind paying more rather. but i understand speed is gonna be essential for the new slot 1 cards, and i should be getting my supercard ds in a few days.

just bought a ds lite, but have used gba flash carts and was pleasantly surprised to find this site hehe [​IMG]

edit : p.s. i'm in aus, so i hate using paypal as i have to transfer money to my debit card which is based in singapore, just to buy stuff, so i prefer to avoid those...

how's the kingston btw?

4. jahablon

Newcomer jahablon Newbie

A-Data is the fastest 1gb and 2gb microsd cards atm, delivering speeds at 80x. They work great with ninjapass x9tf, so I think they would be fine for all the other slot1 but dont quote me on that though..

5. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    Sorry to bump an old topic, but i think it's best to reuse it.

I found a cheap Hyundai microSD 1gb in a catalogue. Can anyone give me any info on it's performance?

6. nephdj

Member nephdj GBAtemp Fan

Australia
  7. OSW

Australia
    no hyundai there 0_o

i remember yyjoy or some other chinese website doing a good test chart. anyone have that either?

8. FifthE1ement

Member FifthE1ement GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I just did a whole microSD card review roundup if you want to take a look at it.

As per your question, you always want the fastest name brand memory you can buy for the money. Cheap memory usually has fast rated speeds to combat their slower access points, but that is what kills the device for linker use. Stay with name brand memory and the Ultra II is the best microSD on the market, with exception of their new line of SanDisk Mobile Premier cards that will release with the same performance and a 2GB model.

FifthE1ement [​IMG]

9. OSW

Australia
    thanks for the article,
    unfortunately i've had a bad experience with the ultra 2, where i accidentally broke my first card (it workied great though) i purchased another one from the same place and it had far worse performance (wtf?) - i'm thinking maybe it was a bad batch or they changed the manufacturing process.

Even excluding that, they are very expensive locally.

I'm thinking i'm going to buy a card online to save money, but i recently saw this cheap hyundai microsd, so i was wondering if it was ok.

If anybody has a hyundai, their opinion would be appreciated.

10. TLSpartan

Member TLSpartan Kills threads

Australia
    Do Corsair make good micro sd cards. They have them for 22AUD near my place(1GB) or 2GB for 58.30