MicroSD card died out of the blue... but it still shows it's half full!

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Goloki, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Goloki
    OP

Goloki GBAtemp Fan

Nov 24, 2006
    So, eh... I need help. My microSD apparently just died out of nowhere? I used my A9HL N3DS just a few minutes ago to play Badge Arcade. I turned it off and removed the microSD card because I wanted to move some CIAs and... nothing shows up on it! The weirdest thing is that it is still full of stuff:

[​IMG]
    Obviously, my N3DS doesn't even turn on, because it can't find the A9HL files... even though everything is still occupying space on the card.

Does anyone know what I can do? I could restore the CFW, but I don't think I have a recent backup of everything I had in there...

2. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Weird things can happen when flash memory gets corrupted. See if you can recover the files with a data recovery tool like Recuva (free) or GetDataBack (paid, but I'm sure you can find a copy :ninja: )
    It won't be able to recover your emuNAND though, if you have one.

3. Goloki
    OP

Goloki GBAtemp Fan

Nov 24, 2006
    Thanks. I'm using Recuva at the moment and it looks promising: 2658 files recovered so far. I'm using Updated sysNAND, so it's OK if I can't recover my emuNAND :P

4. The Real Jdbye

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    After that's done, it would be a good idea to run a drive checking tool to see whether there's anything wrong with the MicroSD card, or if it's safe to reformat and continue using it.

5. matt123337

matt123337 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 25, 2014
    Canada
    After you finish with recuva, I'd recommend using hw2test to insure your micro sd is the actual size it says it is, corruption like that can occur with fake micro sd cards (cards that report they're a size bigger then they are, i.e it would say it's 128gb, but it's really a 2gb flash chip). Just run hw2test after you format the micro sd.

6. The Real Jdbye

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Fixed that for you ;)

7. matt123337

matt123337 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 25, 2014
    Canada
    Thanks, was like half asleep lol.