Hacking Micro sdhc card classes

Luis Sera

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a dstwo on the way and im looking for a memory card. I have been looking at some 16gb micro sdhc cards when I came across what class it was
* Class 0 cards do not specify performance, which includes all legacy cards prior to class specifications.
* Class 2, 2 MB/s, slowest for SDHC cards.
* Class 4, 4 MB/s.
* Class 6, 6 MB/s.
* Class 10, 10 MB/s.
The class system is simple to understand, with those speeds being minimums. What I dont know, is whether it would affect performance on the dstwo supercard. I mean games might be ok depending on the game but surely this wouldnt make much difference to get a class 2 as opposed to a class 10 for example.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Class usually does not make a difference with performance, only read speed (or random access time) does. Some microSDs have such slow read speeds that they can't run certain games without freezing. Class determines the write speed of the card, which is how long it takes to transfer stuff from your PC to the microSD. The DSTwo has many unique features that may work faster with a higher write speed (such as real-time save/load and real time cheat or whatever), but again, it won't make that much of a difference.
However, a general rule of thumb is that a higher class card = higher quality = faster read speed as well. This is not always the case though.

The only way to test a microSD's read speed is to buy it then use a program on it. Each microSD is unique, but you should be able search around these forums to find what are the best microSDs.

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
zizer said:
This link is useless. The best way to test a microSD is not on the PC but on the flashcart itself.
There is some tools for that : Checkdisk from moonshell 2.10, speed tester for libfat, TESTSD (require a supercard dsone with old OS).

Now about some reliable brand. The only one not faked for now is samsung. Those microSD are grey and glossy black on the golden traces side.
They got a good access time to data and are ok in clean mode, special mode and AAP mode.

samsung8gbcl4bothsides.jpg

zizer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mbmax said:
zizer said:
This link is useless. The best way to test a microSD is not on the PC but on the flashcart itself.
There is some tools for that : Checkdisk from moonshell 2.10, speed tester for libfat, TESTSD (require a supercard dsone with old OS).

Now about some reliable brand. The only one not faked for now is samsung. Those microSD are grey and glossy black on the golden traces side.
They got a good access time to data and are ok in clean mode, special mode and AAP mode.

are you not working in samsung? lol

nesdude0011

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty much in the same boat you are. I have a DStwo coming in the mail from zeroshipping, and I want to pick up a nice micro sdhc that will work properly with it. I would prefer to go with either Sandisk or Kingston, as they are the cards I have had in the past, and have never had any problems with either. They are however the most expensive, and cost quite a bit if you want class 6 or better.

A-Data and Patriot sell for MUCH less, but how do they match up?

Luis Sera

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Unless there is a compatibility issue, im going with the lexar. They are a reputable brand, never heard of patriot. Can someone confirm that?

GreatCrippler

Greatness Fallen
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have had a lot of issues with Lexar cards. The only brand I have had success with across the board is Transcend. I have a Class 6 "8" gig, and have also used a class 4 "4" Gig, as well as an SD "2" gig. All have had well above average read speeds. You can get an "8" Gig class 6 for less than $20 shipped.

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
When you buy micro SD cards for flashcarts, it's a lot more difficult than you think.

People who have only ever heard of the term R4 would beg to differ, to them it's "Oh simple you put the little card in the DS card and play your games".

Nothing could be further from the truth.

A good micro SD for a flashcart has a low latency, ideally under 8254 (pretty much redundant now, but it's nice to have peace of mind).

The Class on an mSD refers directly to the write speed however a good write speed usually means a good read speed.

The two main guidelines here are latency and class.

Following these two guidelines, I can conclude that the best brands are Transcend and A-Data class 6 cards.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.