Hacking Micro SD problem :(

Ghork

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I was playing pokemon on my brothers R4 on his DS when it suddenly froze as I was changing pokemon. When I then restarted the DS it froze at the DS start screen... I took out R4 and the Micro SD from it and plugged them in again (and repeated when it didn't work) but now I only get a black screen saying: "SD/TF card error".
I've been searching a little but all I found was that I need to format it... but since I can't access it on the computer either that would mean save files being lost...

Is there anyway I could get the files of it? or does anyone know how to fix this?
I don't want to lose my save, that's like knowing your life is now 90 hours shorter and no good out of it x)

Shorkio

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
Ghork said:
I was playing pokemon on my brothers R4 on his DS when it suddenly froze as I was changing pokemon. When I then restarted the DS it froze at the DS start screen... I took out R4 and the Micro SD from it and plugged them in again (and repeated when it didn't work) but now I only get a black screen saying: "SD/TF card error".
I've been searching a little but all I found was that I need to format it... but since I can't access it on the computer either that would mean save files being lost...

Is there anyway I could get the files of it? or does anyone know how to fix this?
I don't want to lose my save, that's like knowing your life is now 90 hours shorter and no good out of it x)
Try format your Micro SD with panasonic formatter (do backup first!) and I think you will be fine
smile.gif

E: you don't have micro SD reader? o.O

Ghork

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Shorkio said:
Try format your Micro SD with panasonic formatter (do backup first!) and I think you will be fine
smile.gif

I do have a reader
tongue.gif

but as I said
QUOTE(Ghork @ May 17 2010, 06:25 PM) but since I can't access it on the computer either that would mean save files being lost...
I cant go on the card with explorer so I cant really back up can I? or have I misunderstood and there is another way?
I have actually got that formatter already but haven't formated since it would remove my saves
frown.gif

Shorkio

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
Ghork said:
Shorkio said:
smile.gif

I do have a reader
tongue.gif

but as I said
QUOTE(Ghork @ May 17 2010, 06:25 PM) but since I can't access it on the computer either that would mean save files being lost...
I cant go on the card with explorer so I cant really back up can I? or have I misunderstood and there is another way?
I have actually got that formatter already but haven't formated since it would remove my saves
frown.gif
That's weird o.o
Have you tried plug your reader to other ports?

hunnymonster

Trophies
XP
Country
Ghork said:

This is where you learn the 3 laws of backups, the hard way.

1. Back it up.
2. Back it up.
3. Back it up.

In 15 years of PC support, I've seen countless crashed discs, scratched CD/DVD, non-reading flash memory... only twice when confronted with that situation and asking "where's your backup?" have I got a positive answer, so you're not alone in not creating backups... for myself, I have my live backup on a NAS, second backup is on bare SATA drive, third backup is on an external HDD - this has been my mode of operation since I lost 24 hours of work on my thesis in a disc failure in 1989.

Ghork

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Shorkio said:
That's weird o.o
Have you tried plug your reader to other ports?
No but doubt that it would help, can try. I think the SD card is screwed up and needs formatting which I will consider a while before doing so after I have come down to no other solution...

QUOTE(hunnymonster @ May 17 2010, 05:37 PM) This is where you learn the 3 laws of backups, the hard way.

1. Back it up.
2. Back it up.
3. Back it up.

In 15 years of PC support, I've seen countless crashed discs, scratched CD/DVD, non-reading flash memory... only twice when confronted with that situation and asking "where's your backup?" have I got a positive answer, so you're not alone in not creating backups... for myself, I have my live backup on a NAS, second backup is on bare SATA drive, third backup is on an external HDD - this has been my mode of operation since I lost 24 hours of work on my thesis in a disc failure in 1989.

Always seem to happen to me when Im writing stuff on the com or something similar. A program crash or electric out shreds my work and all i would have done was press save. I think I press save unnecessary much nowadays. Even right after pressing it, but that is probably mostly because I've already forgot I saved it x)
But I haven't backed up this card once, since I started playing pokemon on it.

Anyway was hoping there would be a way of getting the files that still are fine from the card.

Ghork

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
YES! I successfully moved most files from the SD card with a program called EASEUS Data Recovery or something like that and formatted the MicroSD card
tongue.gif

Though when I first started pokemon again the screen was completely white but I heard sounds and couldn't press anything.
Fixed that by not using the game which I recovered from the SD but the old one which I had on the computer.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

skafan12

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having the same problem. I can't seem to get any of my computers to read the SD card. As a result, a lot of my files in the SD card, including some saves, are now gone. I tried the EASEUS program (did you use the purchased version or just the free version) to no avail. I'd appreciate any help on this matter...

All I want is to be able to somehow extract the data from my SD card. I don't even know how to format it since it can't be read.

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
skafan12 said:
I'm having the same problem. I can't seem to get any of my computers to read the SD card. As a result, a lot of my files in the SD card, including some saves, are now gone. I tried the EASEUS program (did you use the purchased version or just the free version) to no avail. I'd appreciate any help on this matter...

All I want is to be able to somehow extract the data from my SD card. I don't even know how to format it since it can't be read.

The card does not have to be read to format it, also use the panasonic SDformatter when you are ready to format it.

skafan12

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's another problem. I've tried using two different card converters, a card reader, and three computers. Nothing ever shows up. It's as if nothing has been inserted into the computer. Even with Panasonic SDformatter, I click refresh multiple times and the SD drive doesn't show up. Does anybody know what I should do? Am I screwed? The only other solution I can think of is to use my cell phone. But are all my files going to be fried?

Also, I have one last resort: Cellphone format. If I do it that way, are my files gone forever or can I pull out a few?

thanks for any help!

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
There are sever file recovery programs you can use to recover data from a corrupt microSD. If it wasn't overwritten too many times you can recover the files your looking for.

Recuva: http://www.piriform.com/recuva

You will probably need a low level formater to fix the microSD being read by windows.
http://gbatemp.net/t204517-sakura-1-45-4th...t&p=2552597

Low level formats should only be done as a LAST RESORT, abusing this as a normal function will likely KILL your microSD instead eventually.

Ghork

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
about that EASEUS program I didn't use pay version, I didn't need to, the only difference it makes (I think) is that it lets you save more data...
though I didn't use the option that according to explanations of them suited my problem, the option saying its for the "You need to format the disk in drive X: before you can use it." problem didn't find my micro SD card the third option (don't remember what it was), though, worked.

I hope you'll have some luck
smile.gif

Try many programs and see if one works for you. Thats what I did.
Also search a lot and don't only depend on the forum. (I mostly solve my own problems
smile.gif
)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    fluff663 @ fluff663: hoi