The Neautral Gamer
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tmnt_320.jpg

At the annual Nickelodeon upfront presentation last week, über-producer Michael Bay revealed details for Platinum Dunes’ upcoming live-action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie, including a new origin story for the half-shell heroes that is sure to raise the ire of diehard fans.
“When you see this movie, kids are going to believe one day these turtles actually do exist when we are done with this movie,” said Bay as he took the stage to discuss his new vision for the reptilian reboot. “These turtles are from an alien race, and they are going to be tough, edgy, funny and completely loveable.”
In the original mythology, four baby turtles fall into the sewer and come into contact with glowing radioactive ooze, which mutates them into four bad-ass warriors trained in ninjutsu by astute rodent Splinter. But could the rewriting of the Turtles’ origin story dissuade some fans from embracing the newest incarnation? A comic book-to-movie adaptation’s worst nightmare is bad pre-publicity, and Bay may have generated that in about 30 words.
On the flip side, it might seem outrageous to non-fans of the series that Teenage Mutant Ninja purists are offended by the new mythos of Leonardo, Donatello, Raphael and Michelangelo. Truth, we might sound a wee bit ridiculous when we cry out, “I can’t believe Bay says they’re aliens when they’re obviously derived from radioactive slime!” But Bay is essentially erasing almost 30 years of love for transmogrified adolescent reptile ninjas by claiming each turtle is less of a fearsome, fighting toxic anomaly and more of a forest green E.T. with nunchucks. What would Shredder think!?

These turtles are from an alien race, and they are going to be tough, edgy, funny and completely loveable.”

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Now, I was utterly ninja turtle mad in the late 80s, but... Weren't they always completely fucking about with the canon, and weren't they always always utterly cheesy and self conciously 'radical'?

I remember watching the first film as a kid and going "Huh... Raphael isn't the leader, that's Leonardo." along with wondering who the fuck half of the characters were and where guys like Rocksteady and Bee-bop or Krang were, seeing as most of my knowledge of the TMHT universe was from the cartoons and comics based on the cartoons, which were vastly different from the original comic series. To me the first film felt like a Uwe Boll film before Uwe Boll films.

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
I died a little inside, i hope this film destroys his career. I really do.

It disgusts me how producers think they are bigger than a franchise and i think bay has been on the fence with getting a huge fan backlash already but changing the origin of the turtles is crossing the line. I hope fans of turtles destroy him for doing this, i hope the film flops, i hope he gets discredited as a film producer and loses a shit ton of money. I get that turtles isnt as popular as it used to be but its still one is one of the better things from my childhood (as im sure it is many others) Plus I actually really liked the last turtles film, the raphael vs leonardo scene was brilliant no matter how you look at it. Now i find myself weeping for the future of turtles...

Reactions: 2 people

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: