Mgs3 3ds inferior to ps2?

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by Yu-Gi-Oh 100, Jun 5, 2011.

Jun 5, 2011
  1. Yu-Gi-Oh 100
    OP

Member Yu-Gi-Oh 100 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Some people seem to think this, and it would be true if they didn't acknowledge the fact that the screens and videos that was being compared weren't at the 3ds's real resolution. I wonder what people will say once this blows away the second sony handheld.

2. Costello

Administrator Costello Headmaster

MGS on PS2 stretched on a 50" HD TV looks kind of bad, admittedly.
    however on a small screen it should look quite good.
    aliasing and low res textures shouldn't matter too much.
    i didn't have the chance to see the game or demo running on a 3DS but it should look quite good overall IMO.

3. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    Must I keep repeating that trailers do not show the graphic capabilities of that game?

Gosh, do I need the Ridge Racer 3D example again?

4. pachura

Member pachura GBAtemp Advanced Fan

5. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    I wouldn't say that it looks any worse than the PS2 version but it's a major downer that it doesn't look any better. The Naked Snake demo looked great but when we got a taste of what the actual game will look like, it just looked like a lazy port.

I'm waiting to see how the HD version in the Metal Gear Solid Collection looks, personally.

6. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    Let's hope it's Subsistence, at least.

7. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    Even when viewed in the proper resolution, the screens show some clear downgrades from the PS2 version. Specifically, lower resolution textures and models built with fewer polygons. The compensation is superior shaders. It balances out. But it's about on par with PS2 overall. The real issue for people seems to be that it looks worse than last year's tech demo, which is mostly true (at least for the character models).

8. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Are they even finished making it? If not, then there is still some time for polishing.

9. chris888222

Singapore
    You're kidding me, right?

Anyway yes, rr3d was not as good as it's PSP counterparts... However it's trailers were horrible and displayed nothing but crap. The actual game looked much better than the trailers. Hopefully MGS also has a crappy trailer (for now) but an awesome end-product.

10. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    what does the NGP have to even do with this?
    the discussion was about MGS3DS didnt look as good as the PS2 version

but if you really want to start comparing gfx between the 3DS and NGP, just look at uncharted golden abyss, blows away everything that we have seen on the 3DS

11. chris888222

Singapore
    That could easily spark fanboy disputes. Please don't.

12. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Keep in mind that the PS2 MGS3 game is about 3.3GB big. Unless stated otherwise, 3DS games right now may be stuck at a max of 2GB in size (though we know they can reach 8GB in the future), which could explain why it may not look as good as we expected. It may even be less than that limit.

13. granville

United States
    This could very well be what is impacting the texture quality on the 3DS version. Looks lower res than the PS2 one, i could imagine that they had to cut corners there to fit within the limit.

14. Fear Zoa

Member Fear Zoa This... This is the world we live in

United States
    8GB is insane for a 3ds game by the way....some ps3 games are 8GB like assassins creed brotherhood
    I can't imagine what anyone would use 8GB''s for....unless they made a super smash for 3ds ...those are always huge

15. RodrigoCamilo

Member RodrigoCamilo GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    the old ds had 16 mb games in the release and now it has 256 mb games, it is normal in the launch, when the 3ds get older the game size will be higher

16. chris888222

Singapore
    Actually it isn't.

3DS games will have 2D and 3D versions individually. Hence the actual game only takes up 4 - 6 GB maximum, if the 2D version is lesser than half.

17. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    I'd love to know what the hell you're talking about.

18. granville

United States
    Actually, the max size of DS games at launch is 128MB. Very few games at the time actually used that size. Now i've seen games as high as 512MB. Not sure if there are any higher than that, maybe some visual novels or something.

It'll take a LONG time to see 8GB games. We're currently restricted to 2GB. In fact, i'm not sure if any released games even use the max size given to them. Best guesses would probably be Super Street Fighter IV or perhaps Splinter Cell. MAYBE Resident Evil Mercenaries. It will probably be around late 2012 or 2013 before we see any 4GB 3DS games. They will start to trickle in slowly at first until more and more developers decide to use it. Then maybe in a couple more years near the end of the 3DS' life, we might just see some 8GB games.

19. pachura

Member pachura GBAtemp Advanced Fan

What a nonsense. In 3D view, game engine renders EXACTLY the same models & textures, but from two viewpoints. No additional storage is required.

And regarding 3D full motion video cutscenes, they will be normal 800x240 videos at standard framerate. You don't need to separetely store their "flat" versions, just display even/odd columns of pixels only.