Homebrew Emulation mGBA Wii - Can I configure (and how to configure) it for use the Wii Remote as the tilt sensor (WarioWare: Twisted!, Yoshi Topsy-Turvy)?

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
OP
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
Hello to all GBAtemp!

I started testing the development builds of the official standalone Wii port (version) of the good & accurate Game Boy Advance (GBA) emulator mGBA (http://mgba.io/downloads.html).

Wanted to try with these since MaeseJesus (@Maeson) recommended me to use these for emulate GBA games with gyro (tilt) sensor (WarioWare: Twisted!, Yoshi Topsy-Turvy, etc...), but i couldn't find any option for configure mGBA for use the Wiimote (Wii Remote) as if it were the tilt sensor, (like VBA GX has it), but i've found this option "Gyroscope sensitivity":

1636648496647.png

I tried modifying this setting and saving the setting but i couldn't get working the tilt sensor with the Wiimote.

So, any help for configuring mGBA settings for use the Wii Remote as the tilt sensor, like it has the VBA GX in the "Match Wii Controls" option?

Thanks in advance!! :)

saulfabreg

Reactions: ZipMartin

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
You don't get ANY response by moving the Wiimote?
Have you tried deleting the config file and letting mGBA create a new one?

I'll leave the boot.dol I've been using just in case, but it works for me no issue... I have it set as x1 flipped myself.

Attachments

• boot.7z
    595.6 KB · Views: 71
Reactions: SaulFabre

SaulFabre

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
You don't get ANY response by moving the Wiimote?
Have you tried deleting the config file and letting mGBA create a new one?

I'll leave the boot.dol I've been using just in case, but it works for me no issue... I have it set as x1 flipped myself.
Tried deleting the old config.ini from mGBA folder but with no luck.

I will try your boot.dol instead for see if that works :P

EDIT: What type of Wii Remote are you using? I'm trying to use a Wiimote model RVL-CNT-01 and it's non-TR (doesn't have Wii MotionPlus inside).

SaulFabre

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
Tried deleting the old config.ini from mGBA folder but with no luck.

I will try your boot.dol instead for see if that works :P

EDIT: What type of Wii Remote are you using? I'm trying to use a Wiimote model RVL-CNT-01 and it's non-TR (doesn't have Wii MotionPlus inside).
message edited with a question

SaulFabre

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
Mine is a Wiimote Plus, just like yours it is not TR.
too bad

mine's not a Wiimote Plus one, it's just one of these first Wiimotes.

Any way for make a normal Wiimote to emulate the tilt sensor in mGBA? Like VBA GX that emulates the tilt sensor with the Wiimote when the "Match Wii Controls" option is enabled (no matter if it's a Wiimote or Wiimote Plus one).

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I did not touch any option to turn the motion controls on, they always worked, it's just they were reversed and were fixed not too long ago. I really never had to configure it beyond changing the horizontal axis (x1 to x1 flipped). Is your Wiimote working normally outside of mGBA?

I don't see anything special on my config file.

SaulFabre

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
I did not touch any option to turn the motion controls on, they always worked, it's just they were reversed and were fixed not too long ago. I really never had to configure it beyond changing the horizontal axis (x1 to x1 flipped). Is your Wiimote working normally outside of mGBA?

I don't see anything special on my config file.
@Maeson

The tilt function works on my Wii games and on VBA GX. Only issue i have is in mGBA Wii.

I used your boot.dol you sent me but still didn't work.

Maybe it's a issue that i have to report on GitHub http://github.com/mgba-emu/mgba/issues ?

SaulFabre

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
EDIT: I think because i don't have a Wii Remote Plus or Wii MotionPlus i can't play WarioWare Twisted on mGBA Wii, so a very big F for that :(

endrift explained this in this quote from message #7 in https://github.com/mgba-emu/mgba/issues/11:
Quote from endrift:

Yoshi Topsy-Turvy uses an accelerometer thus is supported without a Wii Motion Plus, but WarioWare Twisted uses a gyroscope, which is what the Wii Motion Plus is. Without a gyroscope, interpolated accelerometer controls would be super clunky at best. I tried to implement this at one point but it didn't work.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your not missing much... I love the WarioWare games, but Twisted was probably my least favorite one. It's not horrible or anything but play Touch on the DS or DSi or 3DS or the Wii WarioWare.... All of those are better games :)

On the main topic, I am kinda surprised it doesn't work on mGBA (but I don't blame them, I think a grand total of like 2 games used that sensor?)

SaulFabre

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
Your not missing much... I love the WarioWare games, but Twisted was probably my least favorite one. It's not horrible or anything but play Touch on the DS or DSi or 3DS or the Wii WarioWare.... All of those are better games :)

On the main topic, I am kinda surprised it doesn't work on mGBA (but I don't blame them, I think a grand total of like 2 games used that sensor?)
Three GBA games uses the tilt sensor as far as i know, these are:
  • WarioWare: Twisted (US/EU) / Mawaru Made in Wario (JP)
  • Yoshi Topsy-Turvy (US) / Yoshi's Universal Gravitation (EU) / Yoshi no Banyuuinryoku (JP)
  • Koro Koro Puzzle: Happy Panechu! (JP)
It's a shame that WarioWare Twisted for play it in mGBA Wii i need the Wii MotionPlus or Wii Remote Plus... F

Reactions: Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Three GBA games uses the tilt sensor as far as i know, these are:
  • WarioWare: Twisted (US/EU) / Mawaru Made in Wario (JP)
  • Yoshi Topsy-Turvy (US) / Yoshi's Universal Gravitation (EU) / Yoshi no Banyuuinryoku (JP)
  • Koro Koro Puzzle: Happy Panechu! (JP)
It's a shame that WarioWare Twisted for play it in mGBA Wii i need the Wii MotionPlus or Wii Remote Plus... F
I wasn't aware of the Japanese game, interesting. Still how much can a Wii motion plus thingy cost? If it's more than 10 bucks just grab a refurbished Wiimote Plus off Amazon I think they are like 19 dollars?

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Sorry to hear that, maybe you can pick a Plus one with a reasonable price, it will serve you for other games too, though...

I tried Kirby Tilt 'n Tumble and it works great. I also tested the VBAGX motion controls and, they work too, but in mGBA they feel noticeably better (on Wario Ware at least which is what I tried).

SaulFabre

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
Sorry to hear that, maybe you can pick a Plus one with a reasonable price, it will serve you for other games too, though...

I tried Kirby Tilt 'n Tumble and it works great. I also tested the VBAGX motion controls and, they work too, but in mGBA they feel noticeably better (on Wario Ware at least which is what I tried).
Motion controls on VBA GX (when the "Match Wii Controls" option is enabled) work great for me, at least with the GBC game Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble, and the GBA games WarioWare: Twisted! and Yoshi Topsy-Turvy.

I can't afford by now for a Wiimote Plus, and the Wii Motion Plus accessory (which is not the built-in one) might not work in mGBA Wii, (because it didn't work for me), so i will keep using VBA GX for these problematic GBC/GBA games.

Reactions: Psionic Roshambo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol