Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chad
I've been wondering which to use.
mGBA pros:
  • Game can be speeded up a little bit
  • Better filtering (VC looks blurry in comparison)
  • Savestates
  • Basic configuration (can make the screen darker for example)
  • Can use the home button (for example, can change screen brightness without quitting the game)
  • Console goes to sleep mode when you close it
VC pros:
  • ???
Is there something that I am missing? Why do so many people use the injector?

emcintosh

On the internet, everyone knows I'm a cat
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've been wondering which to use.
mGBA pros:
  • Game can be speeded up a little bit
  • Better filtering (VC looks blurry in comparison)
  • Savestates
  • Basic configuration (can make the screen darker for example)
  • Can use the home button (for example, can change screen brightness without quitting the game)
  • Console goes to sleep mode when you close it
VC pros:
  • ???
Is there something that I am missing? Why do so many people use the injector?
mGBA cannot run all games at full speed. For instance I tried running 3D car game Smashing Drive and suffered severe slowdown. IIRC it features music with lyrics so the slowdown is very obvious.

But, as you say, it has many features that make it better than VC injection, so it’s what I use for all my GBA games on 3DS.

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would say try a game with mGBA, if it runs well keep using it, if it's slow/unsatisfactory or just borderline unplayable then switch to the Injects.

Doux91

Trophies
XP
Country
Honduras
Compatibility, you just can emulate gba with a new 3ds, 3ds/2ds/3ds xl cannot emulate gba, thats why almost everyone prefer to install games like VC, mgba will not work with every game and maybe you will lose speed sometimes, like VC games are not emulation, they run like the console, mgba for 3ds needs a lot of work because is a poor version of the emulator, wii mgba is better

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Reactions: Pin1988

DominoBright

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mGBA on 3DS is best used as a GB(C) emulator since, as others have mentioned, a GBA game will more often than not run slowly on it. RetroArch's gpSP apparently has a lot less crashes than it used to, but I've seen reports that they can still happen, so be careful if you go with it.

The 3DS hardware is capable of playing GBA games near/perfectly with no emulation required, and the Ambassador GBA titles and NSUI injections allow that hardware to be used. It works whether the 3DS is an original model or a new one. You can also hold Select or Start while booting a GBA game to use pixel-perfect mode, which brings the game display to the GBA's native 240x160 instead of stretched to 1.5x.

And then there's AGB. From what I understand, it lets you choose a game on your SD card instead of cluttering your list of installed CIA files, it uses the same native hardware as injections, and saves are more easily accessible. However, you have to turn off the 3DS when you're done with a game and want to play something else, even if it's another GBA game. It also doesn't play nicely with some games that use EEPROM for saving, and said EEPROM saves have problems coming from emulators, though there's a program that fixes those saves. It also uses a database to determine which game uses what save type, and ROM hacks mess with that.

I go with injections for the sake of speed, stability,and keeping the 3DS turned on while changing games.

gentoo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chad
Thanks for your input guys.

I haven't described any differences in sound since I mostly play with sound muted.

I haven't noticed any slowdowns using mGBA. I have a New 3DS XL and I have only played Pokémon for a few minutes, which would explain why I haven't encountered any problems, at least by now. It's possible that I haven't noticed slowdowns because I have only played for a few minutes, since I am not sure of what system to use and I don't know if the savegames can be shared between mGBA, VC, and Open AGB Firm.

I have tried Open AGB Firm and I don't see any differences between that and VC. Don't they work the same under the hood? What makes Open AGB Firm better than VC? To me it seems even less convenient than VC, since you have to reboot to load a game, so there probably is something that I am not seeing.

ber71

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Open agb firm is the way to go if you have many GBA games, as you can load what you want on the fly. Injections are a pain for more than five or six games.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have tried Open AGB Firm and I don't see any differences between that and VC. Don't they work the same under the hood? What makes Open AGB Firm better than VC? To me it seems even less convenient than VC, since you have to reboot to load a game, so there probably is something that I am not seeing.
There's also TwiLight++, which basically uses the agb-firm for launching but is kind of a 'best-of-both-worlds' situation in terms of not cluttering up your title limit with vc's while being as accessible as an emu. Not to mention all the other systems it can run/emulate.

Last edited by duwen,

gentoo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chad
There's also TwiLight++, which basically uses the agb-firm for launching but is kind of a 'best-of-both-worlds' situation in terms of not cluttering up your title limit with vc's while being as accessible as an emu. Not to mention all the other systems it can run/emulate.
Whoa, I did not know I could run DS games without one of those R4 cards! Thanks!!!

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Open agb firm is the way to go if you have many GBA games, as you can load what you want on the fly. Injections are a pain for more than five or six games.
if that's your concern, you might also wanna consider GBArunner2. You can switch games without having to turn the console off, you have a few settings to change (like top/bottom screen being used, controls and such). It has slightly less compatibility than Open_agb_firm but it's my favourite way to play GBA, as i find myself changing games very often and that's cumbersome on openagbfirm

enderer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i mostly use twilightmenu's gba emulator. it runs my e-reader games that i can't live without like mario-party-e and air hockey-e, and runs on n3ds, 3ds, and even dsi.

PacBunnyXV07

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mGBA on 3DS is best used as a GB(C) emulator since, as others have mentioned, a GBA game will more often than not run slowly on it. RetroArch's gpSP apparently has a lot less crashes than it used to, but I've seen reports that they can still happen, so be careful if you go with it.

The 3DS hardware is capable of playing GBA games near/perfectly with no emulation required, and the Ambassador GBA titles and NSUI injections allow that hardware to be used. It works whether the 3DS is an original model or a new one. You can also hold Select or Start while booting a GBA game to use pixel-perfect mode, which brings the game display to the GBA's native 240x160 instead of stretched to 1.5x.

And then there's AGB. From what I understand, it lets you choose a game on your SD card instead of cluttering your list of installed CIA files, it uses the same native hardware as injections, and saves are more easily accessible. However, you have to turn off the 3DS when you're done with a game and want to play something else, even if it's another GBA game. It also doesn't play nicely with some games that use EEPROM for saving, and said EEPROM saves have problems coming from emulators, though there's a program that fixes those saves. It also uses a database to determine which game uses what save type, and ROM hacks mess with that.

I go with injections for the sake of speed, stability,and keeping the 3DS turned on while changing games.
Its stupid that you have to hold the start button to get it pixel perfect, why not have a setting for that like the snes vc on 3ds?

E1ite007

wierd avatar guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Its stupid that you have to hold the start button to get it pixel perfect, why not have a setting for that like the snes vc on 3ds?
This isn't VC, this is the 3DS running native-ish Gameboy Advance games. Instead of emulation, the 3DS uses the built-in GBA hardware found in the DS hardware (the same the DS originally had) to play games, but instead of a cartridge slot, the console loads the GBA binaries (ROMs if you will) from memory.

Doux91

Trophies
XP
Country
Honduras
It does not have that option because is not emulation, snes is emulation on VC, maybe with mgba you could have all options, filters, etc, but now it does not have almost anything

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all