Homebrew mGBA official standalone Wii port

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone know what kinds of rumble are supported?
Is Gameboy Player rumble supported, or is only cart based rumble supported (Drill Dozer/WarioWare Twisted)?

nakata6790

True Player
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Great performance from this emu!

I gave it a thorough test and i am really impressed. This is the only Wii GBA emu that doesn't hang or freeze while playing heavy GBA games like Smashing Drive or Big Mutha Truckers.
It also runs faster in games like Legend of Spyro Eternal Night, DKC2, Mother 3, Golden Sun 2, Metroid Zero Mission, Max Payne Advance, where other Wii GBA emus stutter periodically.

It jitters a little in some other heavy games however, like Asterix & Obelix XXL, 007 Nightfire, Duke Nukem Advance, Motoracer Advance. In some spells of Golden Sun 2 or mode 7 effects it also stutters a bit.
If some more speed can be gained and a better file explorer (i.e. left/right for fast rom selection intead of just up/down) can be added, this will be the go to choice for GBA on the Wii!

seam

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm mostly interested in testing the Colourized hacks for SML 2 and Metroid 2 DX to see if they show up properly.

good point. i too am wondering if the metroid 2 colorized hack works on this, as it does not on the other wii emus. I'd test it myself but i dont have access to a tv at the moment.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great performance from this emu!

I gave it a thorough test and i am really impressed. This is the only Wii GBA emu that doesn't hang or freeze while playing heavy GBA games like Smashing Drive or Big Mutha Truckers.
It also runs faster in games like Legend of Spyro Eternal Night, DKC2, Mother 3, Golden Sun 2, Metroid Zero Mission, Max Payne Advance, where other Wii GBA emus stutter periodically.

It jitters a little in some other heavy games however, like Asterix & Obelix XXL, 007 Nightfire, Duke Nukem Advance, Motoracer Advance. In some spells of Golden Sun 2 or mode 7 effects it also stutters a bit.
If some more speed can be gained and a better file explorer (i.e. left/right for fast rom selection intead of just up/down) can be added, this will be the go to choice for GBA on the Wii!

Seconded, hope there's better scrolling with left/right buttons and a reduction in audio crackling, though I don't know how easy it'll be to fix that issue over time, but speed wise, it's the best the Wii has ever seen ^_^

Reactions: Margen67

zerofalcon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
After dealing with how to compile mGBA outside Windows (CMake in Linux), here's the latest-unofficial binary from source.

-Fast up/down scrolling was added among left-right fast forward for file selection.
-Rumble for gamecube controller (I tested with Drill Dozer and both wiimote and gamecube vibration works)
-Better font in menu selection.

After some tests I clearly see an improved emulation regarding the crackling audio, still persists but maybe it's just me but I can hear less noisy crackling sound. I need to play more with those audio settings in the source code...

Attachments

• mgba-wii.zip
    287.6 KB · Views: 233

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After dealing with how to compile mGBA outside Windows (CMake in Linux), here's the latest-unofficial binary from source.

-Fast up/down scrolling was added among left-right fast forward for file selection.
-Rumble for gamecube controller (I tested with Drill Dozer and both wiimote and gamecube vibration works)
-Better font in menu selection.

After some tests I clearly see an improved emulation regarding the crackling audio, still persists but maybe it's just me but I can hear less noisy crackling sound. I need to play more with those audio settings in the source code...

Awesome, will check it out! :D It was especially noticeable in Final Fantasy V and VI, so I can test those ^_^

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think to prove that the Wii isn't as incapable of GBA emulation as previously assumed, contrary to what others have stated. That, and also, there aren't really any emulators that are running on the Wii U and won't for some time. Also, not everyone has a Wii U yet, I mean, the emulator is the best we've seen on the Wii when it comes to GBA side of things. VBAGX was a noble effort, but it had so many frameskip issues. I should also mention that porting emulators to the Wii U won't do much good until there's a more user friendly way to launch elf files.

justjack

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
What are you talking about? I saved in games just fine and they generated .sav files on my SD card. You do realize this is still very much alpha, right?

I tried the compiled version posted in this page and after I saved in some games, when I played them again there were no save files. I realize this is in alpha stage, that is exactly why I thought maybe saving was not working yet. I'm gonna try again.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried the compiled version posted in this page and after I saved in some games, when I played them again there were no save files. I realize this is in alpha stage, that is exactly why I thought maybe saving was not working yet. I'm gonna try again.

Well, that is weird, I'll test that out as well. But I did load up a Final Fantasy V save the other day. This has a lot of potential, and could easily and singlehandedly become the best GBA emulator on the Wii, well, actually it already is, just needs fine tuning.

Reactions: sindrik

justjack

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Well, that is weird, I'll test that out as well. But I did load up a Final Fantasy V save the other day. This has a lot of potential, and could easily and singlehandedly become the best GBA emulator on the Wii, well, actually it already is, just needs fine tuning.

I found out what the problem was. I had to exit not only the game but the emulator too and then come back in order for saves to work.

Centrix

Stop Poking the Moogle!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome, im never surprised by the awesomeness that goes on here at GBATemp lol ;P now all we need is an awesome forwarder to launch from instead of having to load it from the Homebrew channel lol, id make one myself but I have no clue on how to go about it to google I go :D

sindrik

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Like you said "actually it already is" :D

Great little alpha emulator, i gotta say. I've tested many games with the last build posted by zerofalcon, it runs awesome.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, is there a libretro core of this emulator for the wii in progress? :)
I think one will be compiled at some near-future point because the alpha build compiled last night is freaking awesome, I would help with the audio crackling, I just don't know what value(s) need to be adjusted :P

Reactions: VinsCool

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I think one will be compiled at some near-future point because the alpha build compiled last night is freaking awesome, I would help with the audio crackling, I just don't know what value(s) need to be adjusted :P
Timing in sound stream, sample rate or general optimisations are what I think is related to this issue :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/kTzpzBF.mp4