mGBA core in Retroarch for Windows only runs at 50fps

SkyDX

Anime Signature Creator, PM me if you want one! :)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm a long-time Retroarch user but only recently started to use it also for handheld games and I don't remember when the problem actually started but I have a weird problem with my mGBA core.

It doesn't matter what game I load, the game is always locked to 50fps and stutters, it gets even weirder, if I press Space to unlock the speed / disable V-Sync it actually drops down to 25fps o.o The GPSP core works properly in comparison.

My system:

- i5 8600k @4.4ghz
- GTX 1070 8gb
- 16gb RAM
- Windows 10 1909 64bit
- GeForce 442.59 WHQL drivers
- 144hz FreeSync Monitor running in G-Sync mode
- 140fps global fps-cap with MSI Afterburner / RTSS
- Retroarch 1.8.4
- mGBA 0.8.1 f87f8ef
- Sync to Content Framerate enabled
- Vulkan backend

I already tried to disable/enable V-Sync and Sync to Content in different combinations, switching to OpenGL also made no difference. I also tried to disable MSI Afterburner and RTSS beforehand but that didn't help either. All other cores, like bSNES Accuracy, Balanced, Flycast or beetle PSX work fine so I'm really at a loss here, both my CPU and GPU are at less than 10% usage and I have no idea what's going on with mGBA. A weird thing I noticed, if I enter the Retroarch menu while mGBA is running it briefly runs at 60fps before dropping to 50fps again after like two seconds.

Thanks for any help in advance! :)

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
if I know my retroarch, 90% chance deleting the config files fixes the problem (back them up in case it doesn't though)

possible its an issue with the core itself, but that sounds like something that would be quickly noticed and fixed within the next nightly or two

SkyDX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
if I know my retroarch, 90% chance deleting the config files fixes the problem (back them up in case it doesn't though)

possible its an issue with the core itself, but that sounds like something that would be quickly noticed and fixed within the next nightly or two

Hmm that's something I would like to avoid as I spent tons of time setting my Retroarch up but I guess I could try that as a last resort if everything else fails. Yeah I doubt it's an actual bug in mGBA as I have the issue for a month now already.

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Config in retroarch is a pain. With those pc specs I would set up each emulator individually instead of using retroarch then route the games through Playnite (maybe use ReShade too if you're into that). You'll get more bang for your buck out of your pc too.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Hmm that's something I would like to avoid as I spent tons of time setting my Retroarch up but I guess I could try that as a last resort if everything else fails. Yeah I doubt it's an actual bug in mGBA as I have the issue for a month now already.

Had this happen in Retroarch a couple years back. It's why I "refresh" every few updates. Especially on any major ones. I don't know why, but it happens.

SkyDX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Config in retroarch is a pain. With those pc specs I would set up each emulator individually instead of using retroarch then route the games through Playnite (maybe use ReShade too if you're into that). You'll get more bang for your buck out of your pc too.

I get your sentiment but honestly this is the first major problem I encountered with it plus Retroarch allows for easy CRT shaders and borders, I found ReShade to be much more a pain in the butt for that and you don't get CRT Royale either.

Had this happen in Retroarch a couple years back. It's why I "refresh" every few updates. Especially on any major ones. I don't know why, but it happens.

Hmm interesting, I just tried it with a fresh Retroarch config and the same thing happens, only in mGBA nowhere else, it's as if the core wants to run the games in PAL 50hz somehow o.o

Reactions: Kioku

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1