mgb-001 gameboy pocket backlight unexpected polarization behavior

rad3ds

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I just restored and backlit an mgb-001 gameboy that I am preparing as a gift.

My original plan was to also install the "bivert" mod, but the polarization inversion seems different than what I expected. Based on both how I know dmg-001 screens work, and also what few mgb-001 examples I have read about or seen videos of.

Basically, with the reflector removed from the LCD screen, the original glass screen, even backed by a sheet of white paper with no backlight, is producing perfectly visible and clear images. Installing an additional polarizer (as is normally necessary to produce an image) makes no difference in one orientation, and in the second orientation produces a much darker but non-inverted image. Currently the device is assembled and in usable state with only backlight and original glass with no additional polarization layers.

Has anyone else encountered a gameboy screen that behaves like this? Is it possible the entire original polarization film is somehow intact with no blemishes? Is it possible the original layer is sandwiched in front of an unexpected additional back piece of glass?

I suppose I could try to handle bivert mod by simply running the signal twice through the hex inverter, there are enough inputs and outputs on even one chip to not need a second chip... Still it seems like it would be most ideal to handle one stage of inversion optically, if at all possible.

opt2not

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You might have not peeled-off the stock polarizing film when you removed the reflective layer. I had this happen to me. When I installed my new polarizing film, and rotated it, I noticed the same exact thing. Then it hit me, I didn't remove the old one! After removing the old one and putting in the rotated new one, it all looked great.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night