• Start date
  • Views 3,933
  • Replies 31
S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP
The Nintendo Gods are at it again.

metroid-amiibo-packaging-656x521.jpg

Nintendo unveiled the amiibo functionality for Metroid: Samus Returns this week. All four figures will work with the game – the original Smash Bros. amiibo and the new ones specifically made for this title.

Some of the functionality isn’t that big of a deal. On the other hand, some of it is. One of the big features being scrutinized is the Fusion mode. By scanning the new, squishy Metroid amiibo, you’ll receive access to the mode that provides a new level of difficulty and Samus’ Fusion Suit from Metroid Fusion.

There was initially some uncertainty as to whether this would be an amiibo exclusive. In a statement provided to Eurogamer, Nintendo offered an official confirmation. The company said that “this unlockable content is only unlocked using amiibo”.

So there you have it – if you want to gain access to the Fusion mode, you’ll need that new Metroid amiibo. The other amiibo unlockables are almost certainly exclusives as well, such as the Zero Suit Samus figure for unlocking Music in the Gallery

Source: Nintendo Everything

Someday Nintendo will make a 'Medium Mode' exclusive to an amiibo/DLC too.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP
Well NFC tags are pretty cheap and most of the people here have a CFW 3DS, sooo...
I've been wanting to buy that but then I reconsidered due to only making use of it for only 1-2 games or so. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe would get a huge boost since they added new costumes.

Anyway, sellers on eBay selling amiibo cards are even worse than scalpers since it's not products officially produced by Nintendo.

Wuigi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Saiyan Lusitano One can get 100 tags for 13$, so even if just a few games have content locked behind a few 15$+ figurines, it's worth it imo.

Edit:
Sorry I searched NFC tag instead of NTAG215 before making that post, I bought mine for 23.60$ but I still think it was worth it, especially for Splatoon, Shovelknight and Sm4sh so far.

Last edited by Wuigi,

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
only if the damn amiibos worked though the box. I aint opening my shit and im not buying 2 sets lol. ill just program an nfc chip.....

Meteor7

Guess where this thumb goes.
Trophies
a fit of spasms and accidental black magic
XP
Country
United States
I haven't been too hard on Nintendo in the past for the content they put exclusively behind Amiibos, but this is really testing my patience. It doesn't affect me directly, as I've already invested in 100 NFC tags, but it's the principle of the matter. This is something that I feel should be unquestionably be in the base game and has no place being behind a $13, artificially scarce, pay wall. Nintendo has been going in a more anti-consumer corporate direction as of this year, and I don't think it's going to be slowing down any time soon.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
sa a kid: whow this function is super cool, it's really awesome i can use real stuff to interact with the game
as an adult: ho no, i have to pay 15 bucks to unlock this dlc thing that exists in the game disc\cartridge

Elrinth

:Master beyond your imagination:
Trophies
Website
www.elrinth.com
XP
Country
I think the biggest issue is the availability. If it was readily available, there wouldn't be any problems, but the fact they release like 10 amiibos for the entire population of the world there's going to be problems.
IMO if they made amiibo as an option for buying a DLC, plus make a heck lot more of them, there wouldn't be any problems. But some marketing idiots over at Nintendo have no idea what they are doing. This is atleast how I feel.
Like if the amiibo actually contained the data required for the DLC. Right now it's just "Disk locked content" which is bullshit :)

Last edited by Elrinth,

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd wish Nintendo would offer paid dlc for people who can't buy the amiibo..

I'd wish they just launch an amiibo bank and digital shop for them on the Nintendo Switch. Imagine buying any amiibo digitally and it then getting stored in a bank app on your device. They could sell them at the same price as the physical versions but with the lock to one game at a time being removed.

Reactions: DarthDub
Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
The DLC from hell. I recall Iwata specifically mentioning that they wouldn't do this kinda shit. Now, not only do you have to pay for a "hard mode," you have to find it and probably pay some scalper $80 for it.
Useless. It's things like this coupled with shitty DLC practices for other titles like Fire Emblem Echoes that's gotten me to lose some of the trust I had in Nintendo.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great, another amiibo that will only get so many uses... :wtf:

I dislike this amiibo thing, is nice as a collection hobby and for people into that but as a extension to gameplay is a game.
  1. Realize you are buying a amiibo which does exclusive things for specific games.
  2. Buy a new amiibo with a new game
  3. Hope the amiibo you buy will be supported in newer games
  4. Hope games are being made to make special use of it.
Didn't they just release cloud, corrin, and bayonetta amiibo? So are there gonna be a final fantasy game on switch soon that the cloud amiibo will work with besides smash bros? The amiibo was mostly centered around smash bros, but now they are done with that game is hardly as special, just some color swap or costume minor thing for other games using is random data.

Reminds me of Sonic and knuckles on sega genesis when i would put random carts into it and play random special stages. :glare:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs