Metroid: Samus Returns' Fusion Mode will only be unlocked with the new amiibo

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Saiyan Lusitano, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    The Nintendo Gods are at it again.

metroid-amiibo-packaging-656x521.jpg

Source: Nintendo Everything

Someday Nintendo will make a 'Medium Mode' exclusive to an amiibo/DLC too.

2. Diego788

Diego788 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 27, 2014
    Chile
    Santiago, Chile
    god...
    now i'll have to wait for a homebrew app to unlock these modes

8BitWonder likes this.
  3. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    I wonder what the Mario Odyssey amiibos will have locked up but even if it's something major I still won't bother. Just want the game.

Xiphiidae likes this.
  4. Wuigi

Wuigi GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2012
    Germany
    Well NFC tags are pretty cheap and most of the people here have a CFW 3DS, sooo...

5. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    I've been wanting to buy that but then I reconsidered due to only making use of it for only 1-2 games or so. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe would get a huge boost since they added new costumes.

Anyway, sellers on eBay selling amiibo cards are even worse than scalpers since it's not products officially produced by Nintendo.

6. Wuigi

Wuigi GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2012
    Germany
    @Saiyan Lusitano One can get 100 tags for 13$, so even if just a few games have content locked behind a few 15$+ figurines, it's worth it imo.

Edit:
    Sorry I searched NFC tag instead of NTAG215 before making that post, I bought mine for 23.60$ but I still think it was worth it, especially for Splatoon, Shovelknight and Sm4sh so far.

Last edited by Wuigi, Aug 2, 2017
    naddel81 and Saiyan Lusitano like this.
  7. Wargla

Wargla Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 15, 2011
    France
  8. Elrinth

Elrinth :Master beyond your imagination:

Nov 6, 2002
    anywhere in europe where i can buy these amiibos? or are they ended as usual?

9. Saiyan Lusitano
    OP

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    Base.com has 'em but they're charging way too much.

Elrinth likes this.
  10. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 29, 2010
    United States
    only if the damn amiibos worked though the box. I aint opening my shit and im not buying 2 sets lol. ill just program an nfc chip.....

11. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    I'd wish Nintendo would offer paid dlc for people who can't buy the amiibo..

12. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    I guess I'll finally get around to getting some blank tags.
    Locking content behind toys is still pretty dickish. These particular amiibos look cool tho.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  13. Elrinth

Nov 6, 2002
    Insta bought. I wonder if it's the dual pack which le americanos are getting or if it's just the metroid.

14. Meteor7

Meteor7 Guess where this thumb goes.

pip Contributor
    Jun 9, 2014
    United States
    New Jersey
    I haven't been too hard on Nintendo in the past for the content they put exclusively behind Amiibos, but this is really testing my patience. It doesn't affect me directly, as I've already invested in 100 NFC tags, but it's the principle of the matter. This is something that I feel should be unquestionably be in the base game and has no place being behind a $13, artificially scarce, pay wall. Nintendo has been going in a more anti-consumer corporate direction as of this year, and I don't think it's going to be slowing down any time soon.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  15. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    sa a kid: whow this function is super cool, it's really awesome i can use real stuff to interact with the game
    as an adult: ho no, i have to pay 15 bucks to unlock this dlc thing that exists in the game disc\cartridge

16. Elrinth

Nov 6, 2002
    I think the biggest issue is the availability. If it was readily available, there wouldn't be any problems, but the fact they release like 10 amiibos for the entire population of the world there's going to be problems.
    IMO if they made amiibo as an option for buying a DLC, plus make a heck lot more of them, there wouldn't be any problems. But some marketing idiots over at Nintendo have no idea what they are doing. This is atleast how I feel.
    Like if the amiibo actually contained the data required for the DLC. Right now it's just "Disk locked content" which is bullshit :)

Last edited by Elrinth, Aug 1, 2017
  17. chartube12

chartube12 GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 3, 2010
    United States
    I'd wish they just launch an amiibo bank and digital shop for them on the Nintendo Switch. Imagine buying any amiibo digitally and it then getting stored in a bank app on your device. They could sell them at the same price as the physical versions but with the lock to one game at a time being removed.

DarthDub likes this.
  18. HaloEliteLegend

HaloEliteLegend ~Apprentice Game Designer~

Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    The DLC from hell. I recall Iwata specifically mentioning that they wouldn't do this kinda shit. Now, not only do you have to pay for a "hard mode," you have to find it and probably pay some scalper $80 for it.
    Useless. It's things like this coupled with shitty DLC practices for other titles like Fire Emblem Echoes that's gotten me to lose some of the trust I had in Nintendo.

Subtle Demise and leafeon34 like this.
  19. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Great, another amiibo that will only get so many uses... :wtf:

I dislike this amiibo thing, is nice as a collection hobby and for people into that but as a extension to gameplay is a game.
    1. Realize you are buying a amiibo which does exclusive things for specific games.
    2. Buy a new amiibo with a new game
    3. Hope the amiibo you buy will be supported in newer games
    4. Hope games are being made to make special use of it.
    Didn't they just release cloud, corrin, and bayonetta amiibo? So are there gonna be a final fantasy game on switch soon that the cloud amiibo will work with besides smash bros? The amiibo was mostly centered around smash bros, but now they are done with that game is hardly as special, just some color swap or costume minor thing for other games using is random data.

Reminds me of Sonic and knuckles on sega genesis when i would put random carts into it and play random special stages. :glare:

20. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    Hold F for respect for my wallet.