Metroid: Samus Returns announced for 3DS

image.jpeg

Nintendo isn't out of announcements, even after their Spotlight, it seems, as a new game was revealed during their Treehouse. Metroid: Samus Returns is a reimagining of the 1991 title Metroid II: Return of Samus.

Developer MercurySteam will be handling the game, and are known for developing Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. It'll release on Semptember 15.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
I both love and hate Nintendo, might have to pickup the New 2DS XL.
I can already see it now, I buy the turquoise new2ds on July 28, then a day later Nintendo announces a beautiful new Special Edition Metroid new2ds that puts the Japan DQ XI SE to shame and I have to buy it too. fml.

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Btw I researched a lilttle bit, the game is focused on "solid 30fps", so we have trash graphics with 30fps there you go. I can't believe AM2R was cancelled because of this game, I bet the game is like 1year or less of development, lazy texture work (textures on Kirby, MGS3d,MariLand, Monster hunter etc are better) , lazy design, only focused on Matrix / Other M like fighting style, with weird physics for Samus while traveling the map (her feet stand horizontal on downhill) weird feeling when watching her droping down in a vertical corridor.

Buuuuut i have to buy it since it is my most favourite saga and also I have to criticize the games, and I think an important saga as Metroid deserved more quality on a game like this.
In nintendos defense, they waited until the game was finished and out before taking it down. By that point it was all over the internet and Im sure nintendo knew this and didnt take it down before this intentionally. It had been in development for like 6 years with online beta demos and they left it until the final release for it to be spread all over. Saying they cancelled it is misleading, they "took it down" in name and protected their ip but also let fans get a hold of it with a little googling.

Z80

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, I said cancelled because the devs wanted to add more stuff to it and keep it updated. AM2R is a masterpiece for me, the music: a mixup between Metroid II and Metroid Prime 2 is just incredible an inmersive, the backgrounds design is awesome, it has near perfect development quality, thats why I am so critical with Samus Return, I feel they could do more, if the game was aiming at 60 fps , kay Let the graphics be lower quality for enhanced gameplay, but no3DS enhanced graphics and 30 fps? I have my faith lost on this dev team, I would like to know what engine are they using.

Here where I live when i was studying IT engineering, I went to a conference offered by another group of devs that worked alongside mercury for creating the first lords of shadow, they job was manage npc IA and the graphical engine of the game, they told us that main maercury team(dunno if they are the same guys now) gave a lot of problems when developing the game's engine because they wanted to add stuff that the PS3 GPU couldnt handle as complex HDR an such, they didnt care about optimization, just throw the stuff at the hardware and see if it runs, funny story: they crashed an early demo in front of some EUSony executive "It was running like 20-30fps, Victor Belmont enters a church, dynamic lights through windows, game crashed"

Hopefully sakamoto was directing the development and is a minimal QA assurance but, as a very big metroid fan I am happy to know 2 games are coming, but sad because one of them is not developed with passion.

Varia

Trophies
XP
Country
*Sees the title*
Holy shit holy shit holy shit!!!!!
*Sees who it's developed by*
Oh shit...
*Sees the trailer*
Holy shit holy shit holy shit!!!!!

Metroid is back bitches!!
Please purchase this, we need to show Nintendo we still care about 2D Metroid :<

Z80

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It will be purchased of course, I wonder when the special edition will be avaliable on EU for pre-order.

Z80

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah... Prime 4's gonna suck!
Hahaha, I hope not, for me neither mp1,mp2 or mp3 was bad. I understand Retro doesnt make the game since they were like disbanded and regrouped to do donkey kong games.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is not 2D D:!!!!!!!!!!
Graphics - 3d models.
Gameplay - 2d.

I get it, you miss the sprites... but this (whether you like it or not) is a 2d Metroid game.
Look at the latest versions of Street Fighter and King of Fighters - 3d models and environments, but they're still 2d fighting games (because the movement only occurs in 2 dimensions). Unlike Tekken or Dead or Alive, which also have 3d models and environments, but are 3d fighting games (because movement is in all directions).

You seem to have had a different concept of what to expect from a new 2d Metroid than most of us who have been begging for one since the Prime games... we weren't begging for sprites, we were begging for a return to 2 dimensional gameplay.
...and who knows, maybe (like a great many other 'HD remakes' out there) they'll include a classic mode, where at the push of a button it flips the graphics to 16bit sprites... or even 8bit gameboy sprites.

Regardless, anyone that's wanted a 2d Metroid game for the last decade or so should buy this just to show Nintendo that this was the game we wanted and that they should make more.

So, this'll be the sixth 2D Metroid game, isn't?

Depends on how you look at it; original Metroid and the GBA's Zero Mission are pretty much the same game (Zero Mission pretty much replaces the NES original). Same with Metroid 2 on gameboy and this.
So, there have only been four 2d Metroid games, with an additional pair of 'improved' releases.

Last edited by duwen,

DarthDub

Amateur Hacker
Trophies
Website
www.gaiaonline.com
XP
Country
United States
Graphics - 3d models.
Gameplay - 2d.

I get it, you miss the sprites... but this (whether you like it or not) is a 2d Metroid game.
Look at the latest versions of Street Fighter and King of Fighters - 3d models and environments, but they're still 2d fighting games (because the movement only occurs in 2 dimensions). Unlike Tekken or Dead or Alive, which also have 3d models and environments, but are 3d fighting games (because movement is in all directions).

You seem to have had a different concept of what to expect from a new 2d Metroid than most of us who have been begging for one since the Prime games... we weren't begging for sprites, we were begging for a return to 2 dimensional gameplay.
...and who knows, maybe (like a great many other 'HD remakes' out there) they'll include a classic mode, where at the push of a button it flips the graphics to 16bit sprites... or even 8bit gameboy sprites.

Regardless, anyone that's wanted a 2d Metroid game for the last decade or so should buy this just to show Nintendo that this was the game we wanted and that they should make more.

Depends on how you look at it; original Metroid and the GBA's Zero Mission are pretty much the same game (Zero Mission pretty much replaces the NES original). Same with Metroid 2 on gameboy and this.
So, there have only been four 2d Metroid games, with an additional pair of 'improved' releases.
It's actually called 2.5D.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's actually called 2.5D.
That remains to be seen. 2.5d is where gameplay occurs in 2 dimensions, but the environment can 'move' in 3 dimensions (from the footage shown so far, all gameplay is 2d with only the 'cut scenes' and 'special moves' switching to dynamic 3d views).
Street Fighter 5 isn't 2.5d.

bi388

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't say the nes metroid and zero mission are the same game in anything other than story, and even then zero mission has a story that extends beyond the original game. Although zero mission is a remake, it is a vastly different game and could have been passed off as a new entry if the story wasn't identical. But I agree, it does replace the nes game.

Z80

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I like turtles, i mean sry I liked other M, but now that I think of it, its the only one metroid I have played only once, wtf O.o

Last edited by Z80,

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States

Nintendo isn't out of announcements, even after their Spotlight, it seems, as a new game was revealed during their Treehouse. Metroid: Samus Returns is a reimagining of the 1991 title Metroid II: Return of Samus.

Developer MercurySteam will be handling the game, and are known for developing Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. It'll release on Semptember 15.

I cummed :shy:

Z80

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
AHA! Looks awesome! The long anticipated finally arrives! Gameplay looks sweet, but those cartoony graphics, why?

It would be awesome that if u play the game on N3DS the graphics update to something close to Other M graphics and texture definition, like Monster Hunter and some other titles do. Or at least to bump the framerate.

Reactions: placebooooo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning