Hacking Metroid Prime Trilogy Ripping (issues/solutions) Dual Layer games

portugeek

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently found out that my dual layer games were having issues. After looking into it, I learned that the issues were being caused by an old cIOS that wasn't properly ripping dual layer games back when I had originally ripped my games. I figured that now, since I had updated my softmod a couple months ago, I would no longer have the issue with ripping dual layer games. Apparently that isn't exactly the case.

I recently re-ripped Super Smash Bros. Brawl.. I didn't pay attention to the file sizes. I just ripped it and started playing, to test if it was still black screening after the first battle with Kirby in the adventure mode. Well It didn't! So Taadaa!! Problem fixed! I thought....

Anyway, that's the back story.

Last night I decided to re-rip Metroid Prime Trilogy, but this time I noticed the file size, and realized that USB Loader GX was giving me the same 7.44GB size as the problematic original rip. So I decided to rip it with CleanRip instead, but I had problems with CleanRip.

I started CleanRip, chose USB, chose FAT, selected the game, and then a screen with 3 options popped up. (I don't remember what they were called exactly) (I selected the options in bold)
-Dual Layer: YES/NO
-Something about chunk size: 1GB/2GB/3GB/MAX
-Something about saving chunks to different destinations: YES/NO

...and as soon as it hit the 4GB limit I received an error. (I was kind of expecting it to happen) So I formatted a usb flash drive to NTFS, popped it in my Wii, ran CleanRip again, selected USB, then NTFS, pressed A for the game and chose the same three options as before.
This time it gave me an .ISO of ≈7.92GB. I then took it to my PC and transferred it to my FAT32 drive using Wii Backup Manager to convert it to wbfs. After the transfer, it was now successfully seperated into two .wbfs chunks on my FAT32 drive. And the total file size now is ≈7.59GB

That's about a 150MB difference from what USB Loader GX was originally giving me. That's pretty substantial. Now when I select Metroid Prime 3 Corruption it no longer black screens after the loading screen, and successfully boots up all 3 games in the compilation.

This seemed to be an unnecessary work around though. Is there something wrong with USB Loader GX? Is something wrong with my current cIOS's? Why is it not wanting to rip dual layer games correctly? And, does this mean that I'm gonna have to re-rip Super Smash Bros. Brawl using this method?

My info...
Code:
IOS58 (rev 6176): USB 2.0
IOS202[60] (rev 65535, Info: hermesrodries-v6): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS222[38] (rev 4, Info: hermes-v4): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS223[38+37] (rev 4, Info: hermes-v4): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS224[57] (rev 65535, Info: hermesrodries-v6): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS236 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access
IOS245[37] (rev 21008, Info: d2x-v8final): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS246[38] (rev 21008, Info: d2x-v8final): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access
IOS247[53] (rev 21008, Info: d2x-v8final): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS248[55] (rev 21008, Info: d2x-v8final): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS249[56] (rev 21008, Info: d2x-v8final): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS250[57] (rev 21008, Info: d2x-v8final): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS251[58] (rev 21008, Info: d2x-v8final): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS254 (rev 65281): BootMii
USB Loader GX v3.0 r1213
Super Smash Bros. Brawl file size is ≈6.92GB.

portugeek

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's good for future reference, but I'm not too worried about CleanRip. I don't normally use it for ripping. I guess I'm more concerned with USB Loader GX, and if it's ripping any of my other games correctly or not.

I'd also like to know if the file size I have for Brawl is what everybody else is getting.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: