ROM Hack Metroid Prime Hunters 2 (MPH reskining maybe remodeling)

chazam1337

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would like to start making a new remake of metroid prime hunters, but i will first need to point out some things
-I am great at making skins, but i need someone to show me how I can make a skin for the models in this game.
-I would be very happy if someone knew how to make completely new models for the charcters, this is not required however.
-This will be mainly for online play, so the story mode of this game will be left alone and or deleted.
-If we only do skinning, we may be able to play with people that orginally play the original metroid prime hunters.
-If needed, I can happily make a quick website for this project, and I have all the time I could want to find out this stuff and learn how to do advanced things.
-This project may last a long time, I will be in it till it is ended.
-I have imported models from metroid first hunt, and I am going to check bionicales to see if they use the same model type since the game plays the same.

Open for discussion.

chazam1337

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Basically you can play all of the first hunt charcters on Metroid prime hunters, but noone knows how to edit models? I thought this was gba temp -.-

nitrodude150

Trophies
Website
nitrodude150.googlepages.com
XP
Country
United States
chazam1337 said:
I would like to start making a new remake of metroid prime hunters, but i will first need to point out some things
-I am great at making skins, but i need someone to show me how I can make a skin for the models in this game.
-I would be very happy if someone knew how to make completely new models for the charcters, this is not required however.
-This will be mainly for online play, so the story mode of this game will be left alone and or deleted.
-If we only do skinning, we may be able to play with people that orginally play the original metroid prime hunters.
-If needed, I can happily make a quick website for this project, and I have all the time I could want to find out this stuff and learn how to do advanced things.
-I have imported models from metroid first hunt, and I am going to check bionicales to see if they use the same model type since the game plays the same.

Open for discussion.
WOW Nice concept, hope that you can get 'something' goin.....

chazam1337

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nitrodude150 said:
chazam1337 said:

Open for discussion.
WOW Nice concept, hope that you can get 'something' goin.....
LOOKING FOR TEAM BTW I HAVE SOMETHING GOING

darkshadow51

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
So basically you want to upgrade the graphics if I understand? You don't seem to understand that the graphics are not better than what they are right now because otherwise the game would lag or something. Seriously, why would they make bad graphics if they could make good ones, think about it...

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone managed to successfully hack an existing Nintendo DS game and change the 3D graphics and skins for the game? This goes a bit further then modifying sprites or the GUI/Dialog.

Ferrariman

Hip-Flop and cRap
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Narin said:
Has anyone managed to successfully hack an existing Nintendo DS game and change the 3D graphics and skins for the game? This goes a bit further then modifying sprites or the GUI/Dialog.

Uhhh... Nope

nitrodude150

Trophies
Website
nitrodude150.googlepages.com
XP
Country
United States
xblackoutx said:
hackers ruined MPH
I know... WTF?!
hate2.gif

chazam1337

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, looking at the unintelligent posters in this forum, Im not trying to improve graphics, Im changing the game completely, so far I have managed to get co-op play in the Local Multiplayer mode, I have found out how to change the looks of charcters and Movies, and overall just making the game awesome. I thought there would be decent people to learn/know how to do things on this project, but so far only my real life friends and I have done anything about this game. I will be making youtube videos for all the people that are like..."this kid is lieing" because IM NOT! so far im only programing first hunt, and I will edit the mph gui to allow the co-op. This will take me a while and alot of learning but so far, this may be the best attempt of remaking a game yet.

[sheep]

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
perhaps after these youtube videos u promised more people will take you seriously.

And to comment on someones post before this one, changing ANYTHING in a game is the same no matter what it is. DATA is DATA whether it be coords for a 3d level, skins that make up levels or characters or sprites on the screen, it comes down to numbers and their format. A skin is no different to a sprite apart from its format complexity, sprites have a simple layout and so are very much easier but share the exact same principle as a skin.

recoding on the otherhand is entirely in another ballpark.. esp on the ds which has adopted a more pc like approach with a psuedo PE structure listing its sections etc, so changing anything in a game will indeed take a good deal of knowledge about the game itself and also how the ds works in general..

personally i would say a project on just 1 game is a complete waste of time. esp on something as boring as prime hunter.

chazam1337

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will make youtube videos on some co-op demos, and Hopefully I will get more help.... I still havent found anyone else (except you) that quite understands what Im doing.... If someone could go through various games and check a whole bunch of models to see if there metroid compadible that would be great. But as of right now, It seems like these 2 games are the only 2 with interchangible models. Sheep, what would you suggest me coding if you belive that Hunters doesnt seem to be the right kind of game towards your interest. I only came to GBA temp to make my job easier, and it seems you would, but your interested in a differnt game?

chazam1337

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
somewhat. A little more than that. LOL but I would like someone to look through alot of differnt roms for models, but one of my friends Is creating some at this second, he just needs to give me a call....

[sheep]

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ok, if ur serious..

for starters, your not only trying to "RUN" before u can walk, ur trying to "BUILD A JET FIGHTER AND FLY IT" before u can walk.. i hope u get the metaphor.

Trying to rip things from games blindly not only adds on years to a project but also easily discourages the thing to get completed at all..

The psp has a great approach to 3d programming because its very similar to directx, with the added bonus of the whole thing being run like a movie and your textures and vertices creating the actors in the scenes..

The DS on the other hand because of its hardware driven gfx im pretty sure has none of these more common programming practices (note to all.. at this point ive not looked at 3d programming on the DS) though of course it must have SOME common ground as vertices are vertices.. nothing can change this..

my advice to you would firstly learn everything you can about 3d programming on the ds.. and then find the most BASIC example of a compiled 3d tester and work from that.. ideally a rotating texture surfaced cube, u can then go about changing the simple stuff and eventually the big stuff will make sense.

chazam1337

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
do you have any sorces Where I can find out how to do all of this? I would like to learn anything about skinning ds game models or making models for the ds....

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
chazam1337 said:
do you have any sorces Where I can find out how to do all of this? I would like to learn anything about skinning ds game models or making models for the ds....
The skins and models are not going to be in a (well) known or documented format.

I'll tell you where to start. You'll need to reverse-engineer the format MPH uses for models and textures. You may be able to look up some stuff on textures.
An overweiw with a hex editor may be enough, but I doubt they're uncompressed in the ROM. Reverse engineer the compression too it's it's not something like LZ that's well documented. You could get the RAWs by dumping the RAM and going through it if you know what you're looking for.

The best way to figure out how the DS handles and loads the models would be with a breakpoint NDS debugger and an ARM (9 and/or 7) disassembler. For the debugger you will have to make your own emulator, heavily modify an existing Nintendo DS, or get the Nitro SDK with the newest Ensata or modern equivalent.

I am taking you seriously and I'm telling you it will take a lot more technical work than you think to do what you want. However I will also say it's possible. The kind of work you want to do is not easy. Why do you think there are so few people out there reskinning and remodeling MPH?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse