Metroid Pinball slower than retail cart.

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by purru, Apr 8, 2010.

Apr 8, 2010
  1. purru
    OP

Newcomer purru Newbie

United States
    I apologize if this isn't the place to discuss this, if I'm breaking etiquette and personal ignorance.

I'm comparing my retail copy of Metroid Pinball and 2 different roms (different regions) side by side with two DS systems and a Acekard 2i and I can confidently say both of the roms are running slower than the retail cart, particularly on the Phazon Mines table. The boss of that table has a shock wave style attack that animates very slowly as it crosses the board compared to the retail cart's smooth and faster animation. The game can come to a near stand still if there are lots of homing missiles, the shock wave and words flashing on the screen all at once ("Combat Ready" etc)

First thing I wonder is, if this would be caused by a slow SD card? Admittedly I did not put a lot of research into what I picked up. That said, I did test Pokemon Platinum side by side and found that my copy on Acekard was faster at loading new areas, I assume that it's reading the data faster than the retail cart but on the other hand, it was slower at scrolling through my inventory and I really don't know the technical details of what's going on when the system communicates with the card.

The second thing that I found, which may be coincidental, is in a review for the original Acekard, Metroid Pinball was listed as having music stutters. So what I wonder is, has anyone else had issues with this game on more recent Acekard Products, 2.1 or 2i or is this isolated to me?

I am using AKAIO 1.6 RC2 and I have reformatted my SD Card using the Panasonic software.

2. linkinworm

Member linkinworm GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    what class is your SD card?

3. Krestent

Member Krestent What to post?

United States
    It's happened on all my carts as well (not AK): SCDS1, EZ-Flash Vi, SCDS1i, iEDGE.

4. purru
    OP

Newcomer purru Newbie

United States
    Do you mean this game on that table and do you mean it isn't happening to you on AK or that you haven't tried it on an AK?

5. obito

Member obito I can have a title?! :O

New Zealand
    Yeah, shiz happens. A bunch of other games lag a bit too. No big deal though. I mean having like a huge list of compatible games makes up for it anyway.

6. purru
    OP

Newcomer purru Newbie

United States
    I have the retail cart if I ever really want to play, I can deal with the one off game not working properly a lot better than I can deal with it being a problem on my end. I'm suspecting it's the former more and more.

7. Krestent

United States
    I haven't tried it on AK. I had an AK back when it was still buggy (pre-AKAIO 1.4); it would always turn off when it was put into sleep. I got rid of it.

8. Langin

Member Langin GBAtemp's kpop addict

Netherlands
    Thats called emulation my friend buggy and glitches. Emulation will never be perfect!

9. Krestent

United States
    How is a flashcart emulation?!?!?!?!