Gaming Metroid: Other M or Prime 3: Corruption?

Which Metroid?

• Total voters

Guest0000

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Hello, I never played any Metroid games before and would love to play on Wii using retail disc. Strictly Wii--not Gamecube via Wii etc. Which do you guys/gals recommend and why? Some descriptive reasons for either game are much appreciated.

Thanks!

P.S. I'll gladly take Prime Trilogy Collector's Edition if anyone wants to give away :-D

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Other M is a side-view, platform style.
Prime series is a First person view.

If you never played a metroid before, I would recommend playing either Metroid Zero mission or Super Metroid first, to understand what Metroid style is.
Then, I think the Prime series is better than Other M, and has a good metroid-vibe. It doesn't feel like an FPS, but more than an FPA (First Person adventure) with a lot of back tracking.

Metroid Other M is good in gameplay, but less story wise (they gave the main character a different psychology than the previous games in the series).

I liked Metroid Prime 1 and 2.
don't start with Metroid prime 3 without playing the two other first, they are better in my opinion.
I felt like Metroid Prime 3 had less environment and exploration. it's more linear.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
didnt prime 1 also get a new play control version for wii? because if i'm honest, prime 1 is the best in the series in my eyes. the whole prime series was good, but it got somewhat worse as it went on. prime 1 had comparably less backtracking at least it felt like it. or it didnt feel as annoying as it did in later games. switching between dark and light world in prime 2, dark and light beams with ammo (pretty much the worst thing about the game) was just annoying and it took ages to get to a certain spot sometimes.

however, i'd actually say get other m. it is much closer to the classic metroid games than prime could ever hope to be. it gets a bad rep because people dont like samus acting like a traumatized girl (cause she never did that before except in the manga adaptation) that actually follows orders given out by a man (just as she did since the very first games). but if you dont mind that, the game is really good.

i say, get other m and the trilogy both, cause they're good games no matter how you look at them (also other m is like... you almost get it for free).
i'd rank them as such: other m>prime1>prime 3>prime2

oh yeah, as always, check a video or two first. look for the gametrailer.com reviews, or something. if you completely hate the 2.5D sidescrolling of other m, you probably wont have much fun with it. if you dont like the FPS Style of the prime series, you probably wont like those games either.

here for other m: http://www.gametrailers.com/reviews/agnjn2/metroid--other-m-review

here for prime 3 which works well enough to compare the two http://www.gametrailers.com/reviews/h98k7e/metroid-prime-3--corruption-review

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Given your constraints, I guess I'd go Other M, because Prime 3: Corruption builds off of Prime 1 and 2. If you weren't so adamant about playing on a retail disc, I'd recommend running Prime 1 & 2 from Trilogy off USB before moving into 3.

Zaide

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Either Other M or Metroid Prime Trilogy, starting from the beginning. Don't start with Metroid Prime 3.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Metroid Prime Trilogy hands down!

Other M is more sort of an interactive movie ( bad one ) , not a game. It lacks the "metroid" vibe.

Guest0000

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Thanks all for the feedback,

Being a latecomer, I'm cool with playing latest games first instead of being chronological--I've done that with RE6, Resistance 3 and Killzone 3; and I'm cool with the differences in RE5 and Resistance 2, so I'm open and adaptable to changes.

I've seen the videos for Other M and Prime Trilogy: both gameplays look fun. I dig adventure games that have interchangeable perspectives and FPS that have no US vs Russia vs nazi vs North Korea junk.

Why retail disc? It's simple, because I want to pay for that game. :) I believe I can afford both Other M and Prime 3...but Prime Trilogy (complete Wii edition, not 2 GC + 1 Wii) might burn a deeper hole in the pocket.

Price aside, there's one possible hiccup: Other M and Trilogy are dual layer discs. I have no idea whether my Wii can read dual layers. I'm gonna buy PAL version because it's more affordable and my Wii is NTSC (I believe but I got component cable), so which loaders can play dual layers? I have Neogamma r9 beta 36 ios 249 rev17, Gecko 1931 and latest WiiFlow.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
If you need to choose, Prime 3. I played it before the other two, and it still made a reasonable amount of sense. It was an amazing game, still one of my favorites for the Wii.

Metroid Prime Trilogy is very difficult to get ahold of unless you are willing to spend tons of money, at it is a collectors item.

All loaders can play dual-layer discs. All Wii's can too, but some have trouble if the lens is dirty, which happens over time (thus the belief that launch Wii's can't read them).

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I never played any Metroid games before and would love to play on Wii using retail disc. Strictly Wii--not Gamecube via Wii etc. Which do you guys/gals recommend and why? Some descriptive reasons for either game are much appreciated.

Thanks!

P.S. I'll gladly take Prime Trilogy Collector's Edition if anyone wants to give away :-D

You could always just get all the metroids, non retail.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
your kidding right? don't touch other M with a 50 foot clown pole :P
Other M was fine as far as gameplay. It wasn't perfect, but it was still fun. It was just the dialogue that sucked. It did have a pretty good story, assuming you knew the back-story behind Samus and Ridley (going back to her childhood).

Reactions: NahuelDS

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Definitely the Prime game(s).
I don't know what the opinion on importing games is around here these days, but you can score a European version of Metroid Prime Trilogy (like I did) for around $50 shipped. And I mean a copy boxed in very good condition.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks all for the feedback,

Being a latecomer, I'm cool with playing latest games first instead of being chronological--I've done that with RE6, Resistance 3 and Killzone 3; and I'm cool with the differences in RE5 and Resistance 2, so I'm open and adaptable to changes.

I've seen the videos for Other M and Prime Trilogy: both gameplays look fun. I dig adventure games that have interchangeable perspectives and FPS that have no US vs Russia vs nazi vs North Korea junk.

Why retail disc? It's simple, because I want to pay for that game. :) I believe I can afford both Other M and Prime 3...but Prime Trilogy (complete Wii edition, not 2 GC + 1 Wii) might burn a deeper hole in the pocket.

Price aside, there's one possible hiccup: Other M and Trilogy are dual layer discs. I have no idea whether my Wii can read dual layers. I'm gonna buy PAL version because it's more affordable and my Wii is NTSC (I believe but I got component cable), so which loaders can play dual layers? I have Neogamma r9 beta 36 ios 249 rev17, Gecko 1931 and latest WiiFlow.

If you simply wish to pay for the games, why not buy 1 & 2 on gamecube and 3 for Wii and then run the trilogy backup? You'll also avoid the whole dual-layer disc issue by running off USB.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Other M was fine as far as gameplay. It wasn't perfect, but it was still fun. It was just the dialogue that sucked. It did have a pretty good story, assuming you knew the back-story behind Samus and Ridley (going back to her childhood).

The only real issue I recall with Other M was that Samus kept on rambling on about "the baby" early on in the game, but that eventually stopped.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Get Metroid Prime Trilogy if you can, there's no point in playing Corruption if you haven't played previous Primes. Also, contrary to popular opinion, I actually liked Other M - I think it's a great game gameplay-wise. The story may be meh and they may have "oversensitized" Samus a little bit, but I enjoyed the fact that they tried to show her as a human being rather than as a human tank for once.

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
As most have said. Prime3, and get the Trilogy if you can. ..But if you want to have a first taste on the Metroid series, I like the Metroid Fusion for the gba

Guest0000

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Get Metroid Prime Trilogy if you can, there's no point in playing Corruption if you haven't played previous Primes. Also, contrary to popular opinion, I actually liked Other M - I think it's a great game gameplay-wise. The story may be meh and they may have "oversensitized" Samus a little bit, but I enjoyed the fact that they tried to show her as a human being rather than as a human tank for once.

Haven't played the game (duh, of course :P) but I agree with your premise on humanizing Samus (is she also Metroid? What's a Metroid? Btw, how come she can turn into a ball? Is she even human?)

Why would it be no point to just play Corruption instead of the trilogy?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, I have a piano keyboard but I never use it