ROM Hack Metroid: Other M Redux (Based on Maxximum Edition)

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Ok, so I gotten the 0.2.4 version of Gecko Loader from here: https://github.com/rasgo-cc/Gecko-Loader. Is this the one? Because I don't see "All Files (*)" when trying to switch extensions so maybe I should get an older version or its a totally different program I'm looking for.
Ah that's the wrong Gecko Loader (confusing shit for sure).
This one:
https://github.com/JoshuaMKW/GeckoLoader

That's the one that should be able to patch Gecko codes into a DOL file.

Reactions: T00nist8

T00nist8

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I just added the cheat code to the game with Gecko Loader, made a Wii VC channel out of the game and I can now shoot missiles in third person! Other than the cutscene of the first boss encounter where the sound seems to not match up and then silence, I say its shaping up to be a good experience (though now I'll play it without the subtitles to get a more thorough experience)! Thank you ShadowOne333 for your help and for the work you do at making this a great Redux!

Reactions: ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
So, I just added the cheat code to the game with Gecko Loader, made a Wii VC channel out of the game and I can now shoot missiles in third person! Other than the cutscene of the first boss encounter where the sound seems to not match up and then silence, I say its shaping up to be a good experience (though now I'll play it without the subtitles to get a more thorough experience)! Thank you ShadowOne333 for your help and for the work you do at making this a great Redux!

The subtitles are one of the next point to work on. I already know how to do it, I simply haven't taken the time to edit the message_all.dat file properly.
I have already modified several script parts from the subtitles to match with the new/removed audio, but the only two subtitles I can't seem to get working are the ones for the Ridley cutscene, and the one from Sector Zero.

Since I re-edited a portion of those cutscenes out for better thematic consistency, I moved stuff around and the cutscene's subtitles ended up being de-synced with them.
I am trying to find a way to modify the frames at which each subtitle appears on the screen, so they match with the new cutscenes, but so far I haven't been able to find anything in regards to the timing/sync of the subtitles with the cutscenes.
That, alongside the Power Suit model, are pretty much the only things remaining.
(Well that and seeing why the modified cutscenes tend to misbehave on Dolphin/Hardware, even the Maxx ones do the same).

EDIT:
Wait, it just hit me, you're playing Other M Redux on a WiiU through Wii VC?
How did you make the configuration for the controller?
Are you using Wiimote alone? Or did you map the gamepad somehow?
Can you check if you can still fire Missiles in 1st Person as you would normally?

T00nist8

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EDIT:
Wait, it just hit me, you're playing Other M Redux on a WiiU through Wii VC?
How did you make the configuration for the controller?
Are you using Wiimote alone? Or did you map the gamepad somehow?
Can you check if you can still fire Missiles in 1st Person as you would normally?
Oh, well I’m playing this on the Wii U as a regular Wii game, with just the wiimote (and I can use missles in first person, I had to beat the first boss doing that). If the game had classic controller support I would definitely try to bind it to the gamepad, but it’s more reliant on the movement of the Wiimote to do certain functions. I want to try this game out on Xbox Series S via Dev Mode to see if it could work or not.

Last edited by T00nist8,

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Oh, well I’m playing this on the Wii U as a regular Wii game, with just the wiimote (and I can use missles in first person, I had to beat the first boss doing that). If the game had classic controller support I would definitely try to bind it to the gamepad, but it’s more reliant on the movement of the Wiimote to do certain functions. I want to try this game out on Xbox Series S via Dev Mode to see if it could work or not.
Oh thank you for confirming that shooting missiles in 1st Person does work even after patching the Gecko code into the main.dol.
For some reason, when I try doing that in Dolphin I simply cannot get it to shoot missiles in 1st Person, only in 3rd, so maybe it's something wrong with my controller configuration or something else.
But thankfully it works nicely with the Gecko code patched in :D

Reactions: T00nist8

T00nist8

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh thank you for confirming that shooting missiles in 1st Person does work even after patching the Gecko code into the main.dol.
For some reason, when I try doing that in Dolphin I simply cannot get it to shoot missiles in 1st Person, only in 3rd, so maybe it's something wrong with my controller configuration or something else.
But thankfully it works nicely with the Gecko code patched in :D
You're very welcome! Tried playing this on my Series S via Retroarch, but got stuck when I was stuck in first person in the tutorial fighting a hologram and the IR motion controls are stuck on the right stick so now I'm gonna reassign the controls to make it more comfortable of using first person mode on the right stick. BTW, do you happen to know a similar program to Wii Backup Fusion for Gamecube games? I can be able to extract files from a gamecube iso with Fusion, but can't be able to repackage it into an iso again unless the iso is as big as a Wii iso (like 4 gb instead of 1.3).

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
You're very welcome! Tried playing this on my Series S via Retroarch, but got stuck when I was stuck in first person in the tutorial fighting a hologram and the IR motion controls are stuck on the right stick so now I'm gonna reassign the controls to make it more comfortable of using first person mode on the right stick. BTW, do you happen to know a similar program to Wii Backup Fusion for Gamecube games? I can be able to extract files from a gamecube iso with Fusion, but can't be able to repackage it into an iso again unless the iso is as big as a Wii iso (like 4 gb instead of 1.3).
That's precisely the part where I got stuck with the patched main.dol using Dolphin + Keyboard.
Seems like it's something to do with the control setup then. If you use the original main.dol, can you shoot missiles in 1st Person in the Series S?
It's a relief to know that at least it works properly in an original Wii, and I bet once properly setup, it should work on Dolphin or any emulator as well.

As for the Gamecube ISOs, I am not sure tbh, I have never modified any GC game.
You might to look around for repacking tools for GC, possibly this one or one of the methods used by the Wind Waker Randomizer, since I know that one repacks the ISO.
That or Wimms or other tools could help. Maybe Fusion allows to repack GC ISOs too with some config changes?

T00nist8

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's precisely the part where I got stuck with the patched main.dol using Dolphin + Keyboard.
Seems like it's something to do with the control setup then. If you use the original main.dol, can you shoot missiles in 1st Person in the Series S?
It's a relief to know that at least it works properly in an original Wii, and I bet once properly setup, it should work on Dolphin or any emulator as well.

As for the Gamecube ISOs, I am not sure tbh, I have never modified any GC game.
You might to look around for repacking tools for GC, possibly this one or one of the methods used by the Wind Waker Randomizer, since I know that one repacks the ISO.
That or Wimms or other tools could help. Maybe Fusion allows to repack GC ISOs too with some config changes?
Ok! even in the vanilla version I could imagine the problem would still be there as there is no clear way mapping the motion of moving to first person mode (it seems to activate when pointing the wiimote to the sensor bar of the wii, which in retrospect makes control mapping for this game more of a headache lol), and now it seems to be crashing on my Series S so I'll probably try out the vanilla version on there and map the controls however I can.

Also, I think I'll try out WIT (or something else, as I realized WIT deals with command lines, and I don't know a thing about coding) as I downloaded that to help with Metroid, as I looked into the options and other tabs in Gecko Loader and I don't see any mention of Gamecube (I am seeing a video online so maybe I can get somewhere with Fusion).

Last edited by T00nist8,

obesebear

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry I haven't had much any time to further work on the model swap. It's been surprisingly busy lately. Next week my wife and kids are leaving to visit her family, so I should have a lot of time to work on it. Might even get it finished if it goes as smoothly as I'm expecting. 🤞

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Sorry I haven't had much any time to further work on the model swap. It's been surprisingly busy lately. Next week my wife and kids are leaving to visit her family, so I should have a lot of time to work on it. Might even get it finished if it goes as smoothly as I'm expecting. 🤞

Oh man don't worry about it. I really appreciate you're still willing to help with the model stuff.
I had a lot of irl stuff as well these past days, so no worries.

I did drop by the Brawl Crate Discord and posted the issues you had with the model, but I haven't gotten a response yet.
Take your due time, don't overwork it, as it might get stressful and causing a burn-out from it (which is the least desirable thing for a project, from experience :P)

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
saludos me podrian dar una mano con los programas de modificacion de video en formato fsd prove con algunos pero no sirven

English:
hi, could you give me a hand with the video modification programs in sfd format? I tried with some but they don't work.
Puedes encontrar los 3 diferentes metodos que utilice para las conversiones de MPG/MP4 a SFD en el primer post.
Estan en la seccion de "Converting videos to SFD", solo dale click a una de las 3 opciones para ver los pasos.

English:
You can find 3 different methods I used for the conversions of MPG/MP4 to SFD in the OP.
They're in the "Converting videos to SFD" section, just click on one of the 3 options to see the steps.

nelson2236

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ecuador
Agradesco su respuesta el programa Media-Converter v2.00 de Jenkey1002 si lo mire es que el problema es que apenas lo abro se cierra de golpe o vusco un archivo para crear y tambien se cierra si arastro un video no pasa nada

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
losiento no consigo que funcione ningunprograma
Las instructiones del post the Reddit deben funcionar sin problema:

Yo he convertido todos los SFDs del juego, los edite con Shotcut y de ahi converti los .m1v y .wav de vuelta a .sfd con el Dreamcast Movie Creator.

Sowden

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright so question. How do I compile a copy of Metriod M Redux? I have created a copy of Maxximum Edition using Wii Backup Fusion. Do I need to copy the Maxximum Edition files, then copy the Redux files and make a wbfs?

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Alright so question. How do I compile a copy of Metriod M Redux? I have created a copy of Maxximum Edition using Wii Backup Fusion. Do I need to copy the Maxximum Edition files, then copy the Redux files and make a wbfs?

That's one way to do it, yes.
I recommend only grabbing the /movies/ folder from Redux instead of Maxximum's and making the WBFS with those.
Maxximum's replaces other cutscenes I didn't change, so you should be fine with those.
Also, if you DON'T want Maxximum's OST changes, then only use the /sound/ folder from Redux.

Sowden

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok cool beans. And is there a specific ID I can change your Redux to in case I want all three to be loadable from Wiiflow at once?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey