Gaming Metroid games on GBA any good?

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
They're very good, although one of them is a remake of the first Metroid to Nes (still a very good game though).
They are more like the Snes versions and less like the Metroid Prime series which I hated.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know I'll catch flack for it but to me...no.

Fusion was everything Metroid as it's known to be not being followed. Massively linear, crap story with cut scenes interrupting play, poorly (very) balanced damage ratios vs the other titles, and just the general feel wasn't there either. Honestly this one I find the most disappointing Metroid game ever right along with Prime 2.

The other one is just preference as I didn't feel engaged by it enough with the fluffy new graphics or the added area to care as it still was the same NES game I've torn up enough times back in the 80s to bother trying again...it's not bad, just nothing special unless it's your first trip or you're a diehard Metroid fanatic and could replay it a 100x over then it's aces.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Fusion and Zero Mission are both very much similar to Super Metroid. However, they're nothing like Prime.
It's basically a matter of 2D vs. 3D Metroid.

I don't get why some people like Zero Mission but not Fusion, by all means they're the same game with different locations.

Side note: Anyone remember this 2D "Metroid Dread" game that was supposed to come out on the DS?

Djarum

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I actually just replayed both of them again last week. I really enjoy both of them and I do prefer the 2D style much more than the Prime stuff. I wish Nintendo would release Metroid Dread so I could get some 2D DS action.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Djarum said:
I actually just replayed both of them again last week. I really enjoy both of them and I do prefer the 2D style much more than the Prime stuff. I wish Nintendo would release Metroid Dread so I could get some 2D DS action.

Wow, I guess people do remember Dread. And I agree with you, 2D Metroid games rock! Just like how 2D Castevania games>their 3D counterparts.

2D Forever!
yaynds.gif

JJBro1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well fusion kind of goes against what metroid stands for with the constant hand holding and dialog throughout the levels, metroid zero mission was a bite sized super metroid meaning it was alot shorter, the bosses were VERY easy, less weapons. It was still good but don't expect anything up to par with super metroid. I recommend both games if your a 2D metroid fan. So ya play em.

Eternal Myst

Back from the Myst.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gizmo_gal said:
I enjoyed playing Fusion. I didn't get far but this summer I plan to play it more and finish it. I enjoyed it. I never played the other versions
It doesn't take years to beat.You can beat it within 4-6 hours.

Minox_IX said:
They're very good, although one of them is a remake of the first Metroid to Nes (still a very good game though).
They are more like the Snes versions and less like the Metroid Prime series which I hated.
I liked zero mission,but it wasn't like the first metroid.Which was more difficult.If you want click on the sig,and look for"Metroid:Pocket edition"It is a hacked version of metroid to make the graphics look alot like ZeroMission

QUOTE(Djarum @ May 25 2008, 01:04 AM)
Whats Dread?

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Metroid Dread was the rumored next 2D-Metroid game for DS. It even was hinted in MP3:C, which was later denied. Retro said it was pure coincidence.

Right now it's currently not in development.

Edit: See here.

anime_junkie

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Zero Mission is very, VERY fun. But this is coming from someone who didn't play the original, so... yeah. Fusion is pretty good, too, but I don't like it quite as much. Mostly just aesthetic reasons.

silent sniper

!dennaB
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Both are great, Fusion in story, Zero Mission in, well.... overall epicness (daaaaah daah dahdah dah daaaaah daaaaaaaaaaah dahdahdah daaaaaaaaaaah - i know i'm insane, leave me alone =]). both are my favourite GBA sidescrollers.

edit: btw guys what are you time records for both? My fusion record is 1:31 and Zero Mission record is somewhere near 1:40

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I loved both games.

I really hoped Return of Samus would get remade too seeing the Zero was such a good remake.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey