Metroid Dread still alive?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by jumpman17, Aug 28, 2007.

Aug 28, 2007

Metroid Dread still alive? by jumpman17 at 1:33 AM (2,249 Views / 0 Likes) 22 replies

1. jumpman17
    OP

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States

2. Mucuna

Member Mucuna GBAtemp Fan

Brazil
    Great!! [​IMG]
    I really really want to play another 2D Metroid! Could be a 2D game with 3D characters (like New Super Mario Bros).

It's better be serious, Nintendo. [​IMG]

3. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    Well....I hope that a 2D Metroid does come out for DS. I really don't like FPS games.

I'm just worried that Nintendo will screw it up with forced touchscreen controls if they do make it. They did it with Zelda and StarFox.

4. Mucuna

Member Mucuna GBAtemp Fan

Brazil
    Yeah...
    Only good thing I can think now about using touch screen on a 2D Metroid is for the menus (choose weapon, maps, etc).

5. JacobReaper

Member JacobReaper I Love You....

United States
    same here..

6. leetdude_007

Member leetdude_007 Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An

United States
    I would fall on the floor and convulse if I ever heard metroid was going to be done in Zelda:PH perspective. eew.

7. bladerx

Member bladerx GBAtemp Fan

Dominican Republic
    I think we all would die a misserable death if the bastardize the game like that thaigrocer.

Seriously, if this is any indication of a new game comming, which should be, or I'll start stalking Reggie; it should be 2D and go the New Mario / Mario Kart way and not force the touchscreen.

8. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Nintendo know not to be so daft and force touchscreen control on this 2D game (thats if it is 2D, nothings actually been said apart from a title). They've restrained themselves with Yoshi's Island, NSMB, Mario Kart.

With Starfox if it hadn't had touchscreen people would've complained anyway. When I saw IGN post this story a few days ago it did give me some hope of seeing a 2D Metroid.

They don't seem to be that any big IPs coming out from them in 2008, just new IP's (which is welcoming but still).

Mario Party, Zelda, Chibi Robo and Advance Wars DS 2 are left for this year but they usually do a few on the go so perhaps its one of those with hopefully F-Zero, Mother 3 DS and NSMB2 (I can dream can't i?). I reckon DK64 will make it, theres rumours around that Rare is doing prototype of it for the DS though it might suck as the DS isn't that great with controlling games madefor the N64.

9. ausroller

Newcomer ausroller Member

Australia
    Starfox perhaps, but the touchscreen controls in Zelda are fantastic, I don't see how anyone can have issue with them.

10. sidneyyoung

Member sidneyyoung GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Bermuda

i agree, nought wrong with the zelda controls.. in fact when using the patch for digi-pad control movement i still went back to the touch screen

seems that too many people like to jump on the 'hate' band-waggon

11. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    Once again, y'all fail to miss the point. An "option" to choose which way to control the game is better than just forcing you to play it "their way". There were no control "options" in StarFox or Zelda. Some dude had to make a patch to give you controls options in Zelda, which means to me that it could have easily been done by Nintendo, but nooooo. They shove one control method down your throat and just screw you if you don't like it.

12. .TakaM

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    honestly, I have to agree with the screw you if you don't like it.

as for starfox, I thought the controls were alright, the game itself wasn't very good though.

and god I hope they make a 2D metroid for ds..

13. ausroller

Australia
    I agree that it is annoying when the developer forces you to use an crappy control scheme, but surely if the control scheme works well it's not a problem?

14. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    Options are always better [​IMG]

The day before the launch of Metroid Prime 3I was searching for Metroid Dread info, and the only thing I found was that it was canceled. This is good news! I hope Nintendo is still making Dread, and that they announce it by suprise for september or something [​IMG]

15. T-hug

Chief Editor T-hug Always like this.

pip
    United Kingdom
    Best DS news all year. Now all I need is another vania announcement [​IMG]

16. ausroller

Australia
    There are rumours...DS Fanboy

17. Ben_j

Member Ben_j GBAtemp Advanced Fan

France
    There's a strange thing about that. The chronology of the games place Metroid Prime episodes between Metroid 1 and 2. Metroid Dread was supposed to be a sequel to Fusion, Fusion is after Super Metroid. It doesn't fit. Or maybe it's just an hidden news, not part of the storyline, but just an announcement by Nintendo hidden in Prime 3 !

Between, the image on the scanned thing looks like the Metroid Prime, don't you think ?

18. Vater Unser

Member Vater Unser GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    I wouldn't call it a rumour...it was pretty much confirmed by Koji Igarashi that another Castlevania for the DS is in development

19. Vater Unser

Member Vater Unser GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    that was my very first thought when I imagined what a 2D Metroid on the DS could look like [​IMG]
    it really seems like Nintendo is more concerned about making "good" use of the touchscreen than actually choosing the best control scheme for the game...at least New Super Mario Bros. didn't use the touchscreen [​IMG]

20. jumpman17
    OP

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    It was never canceled as it has never been officially announced. The only time Nintendo has ever made mention of it was on a release sheet that got leaked. All the games on that list have since been announced and released. All except for Metroid Dread.