Metroid Dread has been leaked online a few days prior to official release

hero.jpg

If waiting four more days until October 8th is too much for you to handle, and you need your Metroid fix now, it might be of interest to know that Metroid Dread for Nintendo Switch has been dumped online. Both an XCI and NSP version of the game are floating about the internet, and it appears that Ryujinx Emulator can boot the game to some extent. According to the early leaked download, the game comes in at just a tick above 4GB. As always, it's important to remember that GBAtemp's ToS do NOT allow linking to warez or illegal content, so please be mindful!

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just beat the first boss in the game. I'm enjoying it so far, but those E.M.M.I. adjoining rooms make your heart skip a beat or two. I don't like them.

MetoMeto

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Did you try the Samus Returns remake for 3DS? That felt a lot like Dread, it was really good...
Samus returns is weakest metroid in mainline franchise. Dread is nothing like Samus returns other than it share the same developer and some elements in game.
Dread is superior in almost every way.
Best metroid 2 remake is AM2R, its not even a official, but its better than any official game...at least imo, but it is good.

DKB

NO
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Samus returns is weakest metroid in mainline franchise. Dread is nothing like Samus returns other than it share the same developer and some elements in game.
Best metroid 2 remake is AM2R, its not even a official, but its better than any official game...at least imo, but it is good.
It was the only Metroid game that I dropped..

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was the only Metroid game that I dropped..
samus returns?
what do you mean by dropped?
He means he quit playing it.

I loved the scanner from the start, and Dread feels JUST like Samus Returns Remake in terms of how she controls, I thought it was an excellent Metroid game, and it looks like it has very high scores across the board. It's definitely not the weakest installment, I would say one of the better ones!

SedRick_M89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Did you try the Samus Returns remake for 3DS? That felt a lot like Dread, it was really good... except they never explained the charge up dash ever so a lot of people got stuck at one point xD (I mean me, I got stuck because they never explained the charge dash D: )
Yea i did play that, but that felt like killing the same Metroid boss about 8 times.
The Physics, cutscenes, Bosses and powerups are way better in this.
already on my second playthrough whereas with Samus returns, i wouldn't want to play a second time

Reactions: MetoMeto

MetoMeto

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe

I loved the scanner from the start, and Dread feels JUST like Samus Returns Remake in terms of how she controls, I thought it was an excellent Metroid game, and it looks like it has very high scores across the board. It's definitely not the weakest installment, I would say one of the better ones!
No, it actually is the weakest one for a metroid game, same how BotW is weakest for a zelda game, regardless of sales.
Sales means nothing except that people like it, but that doesnt mean that game is good. Only Metroid and Zelda fans would know why i say this. Not because they are some special breed of people, but because they play them for years, love it for what it is and know how it changed and in what way.
Im not saying game is bad, those two games (botw, SR) are good, really great, just not a good metroid and zelda games per se.
from a fan perspective i cant possibly say its a good metroid game, only that its a good game.

but yeah, you can like it sure, and scan pulse, you can even like that (for whatever reason), even though its a bad item for a metroid, but i wont get into why now, but id just say it shouldnt be there in the first place. I

Dread is a different animal all together.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it was fun...till it wasn't. it requires precise timing with imprecise controls, which doesn't matter at first. not until they demand perfect precision and perfect timing with mushy controls. like, 3 button presses in a certain order, precise direction control of the joystick, and do this while fighting off two enemies that don't warn of their attack in a way you can react quickly enough. not fun, just tedious. a lot of dying so you can learn their attacks, so you can pre-emptively dodge. but some of the ai is designed to move without patterns so those are...fun?

i don't feel triumphant when i beat the "hard" bosses, just pissed at the game's controls.

Last edited by osaka35,

MetoMeto

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
it was fun...till it wasn't. it requires precise timing with imprecise controls, which doesn't matter at first. not until they demand perfect precision and perfect timing with mushy controls. like, 3 button presses in a certain order, precise direction control of the joystick, and do this while fighting off two enemies that don't warn of their attack in a way you can react quickly enough. not fun, just tedious. a lot of dying so you can learn their attacks, so you can pre-emptively dodge. but some of the ai is designed to move without patterns so those are...fun?

i don't feel triumphant when i beat the "hard" bosses, just pissed at the game's controls.
nicely said, just what i realized after beating the game.
Actually i dont want to bi that picky right now,id just say i mostly hate quick time events.
i hate them with passion in general and even more cause they are in a metroid. Also those missile spamming where sus moves automatically. stupid af.
i want to actually play not to be in partial autopilot (games these days)
also i dont apreciate that "hard" part of stunning emmi is that quick time events are random aand not something i can learn over time, instead i need impossible reflexes. what
i mean is instead of say emmi capturea you and you count 1,2,3,4, stun!
you get random battern. sometimes its 1,2... sometimes 1,2,3... i dont apreciate that artificial hard escape

Reactions: osaka35

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I beat the game 100%, I took my time (19h !)

I liked it less than the previous, because of the EMMI sudden death style, and the EMMI run for your life events.
Metroid never had a sudden death feature, and you could always relies on your health and dexterity.

other than the EMMI parts, where your heart rate rises (@godreborn), the exploration was nice. The mandatory "return to already explored areas" is done nicely, in almost linear ways.
Only the backtrack where you want 100% item requires you to go offtrack.

I did too much backtrack, and wanted to "MAP" the maps, you know, the room is displayed when you visit it, but you have to "pass over each area" to lite it up, and I did that for hours..... which ended as useless. there's not even a completion score at the end of the game ! don't bother.... the Item percentage is only seen on the map screen, or on the savegame slot. that's all. you already know if you have 100% an area or not before ending the game. At least, that counter is a good addition. I liked the blinking map to tell you there's a hidden item near, though it's spoiling, and not always doing it. Maybe not hinting at all like older metroid would have been funnier.

I found the game harder than the previous ones, especially the bosses fights (not counting the EMMI as bosses, these are not hard, they are unforgivable) Don't expect to play the game with 0 death
The bosses are also like EMMI, with very short window of QTE (quick time event), you have to react and press the correct button to not die... you must have quick reactions.
sometime the double jump didn't work, and you die anyway... like said by others, the control is not responsible all the time.
But after dying 4-5 times, you learn each fight's pattern ala fromsoft game and can escape most damages if the control doesn't fail on you.
At least, I like the fact they added a quick save feature before bosses and EMMI zones.

speaking of bosses... I didn't understand how to touch the last boss at first...
I didn't spoiler it because it's helpful : I had to read a guide to understand custscenes are NOT custscenes. Do not watch the fight's cutscenes, they are just real time camera movement while you can still hit the fire buttons ! act ! it's NOT intuitive at all :angry:

speaking of cutscenes, I liked the very few they added for the story, but felt confused at the end.

I STRONGLY dislike the french Adam's voice actor/sound effect.
I didn't like the fact I couldn't switch to english in-game. I had to restart the switch... so I didn't do it.

I didn't like the controls either, like A button to move fast, I prefer it to be shoulder button, so I switched the controls for bosses in switch's settings.... but then I ended with "press A" button on the shoulder, and set it back for game mode, because you can't do grapple beam with A button.
I didn't like the fact I couldn't "wait for the target to be on my aim for the missile" without charging multiples missiles... they could have mapped it to D-pad remaining directions to ON/OFF special weapons. up for multi missiles, left for special bomb, down to set or drop a super bomb for example.

completing the game in 19h, I saw only one "reward art" at the end.
there are 6 you can unlock based on the time (<4h <8h +8h) and game difficulty, and a seven if you unlocked all of them.
I probably won't play the game that much to unlock them all.

What I envision for the future
Now Samus can absorb energy from its environment and become metroid, then can "get back to normal" with X.
It's like a gauge filling, where she'll have to change form to progress in different areas.
The X are supposed to be extinct now, except in her body maybe ? or she'll have to "use her power" to power down.
But I like to think there could be a way to absorb enemy to grow stronger, but she'll have to regulate her power not to become crazy, like in Shadow heart games.

Last edited by Cyan,

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the

No, it actually is the weakest one for a metroid game, same how BotW is weakest for a zelda game, regardless of sales.
Sales means nothing except that people like it, but that doesnt mean that game is good. Only Metroid and Zelda fans would know why i say this. Not because they are some special breed of people, but because they play them for years, love it for what it is and know how it changed and in what way.
Im not saying game is bad, those two games (botw, SR) are good, really great, just not a good metroid and zelda games per se.
from a fan perspective i cant possibly say its a good metroid game, only that its a good game.

but yeah, you can like it sure, and scan pulse, you can even like that (for whatever reason), even though its a bad item for a metroid, but i wont get into why now, but id just say it shouldnt be there in the first place. I

Dread is a different animal all together.
They were both good games me as a long time Zelda & Metroid fan. I do agree I want original Zelda dungeon design back for botw 2. But #1 was a nice change of pace and I'm OK with these changes once in a while to keep things fresh for the series. So that when they do bring the traditional dungeons back it'll feel real great after being gone for a while.

I liked SR for the fact that it focuses on metroids. Exterminating metroids is very awesome. I liked the original GB ver. too Even though the game feels very dated today. But I play dated games all the time.

I do agree that the original metroids like Super, Fusion and Zero Mission felt better in controls and gameplay. Especially Fusion and Zero. And overall liked those games more. Bit SR was still a good game.

Controls did not feel imprecise to me. And challenging bosses that gave me a Hard time on my normal play through where I died multiple times, I beat easily on my second Hard mode run through. All AI moves in patterns.

Games nowadays are too easy which makes them boring and I turn off. Dread I played all the way through. I gives a nice challenge to overcome and once you overcome it becomes rewarding and keeps you glued.

You will die alot of times in the beginning trying to figure out the bosses and I'm fine with that because of its generous check point system that wasn't in previous metroids. So you don't have to back track all the way back to the boss and gets rid of the tedium of that. Plus those door guards before boss fights will refill your energy and weapons giving you what you need for boss fights. The check point system allows for more challenging bosses that require skill which is something I always wanted in the series.

I'm going through Hard mode way easier then Normal mode and it just shows you need to learn patterns and get better. And the controls are not an issue for me.

Last edited by SG854,
Reactions: SonyUSA and osaka35

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They were both good games me as a long time Zelda & Metroid fan. I do agree I want original Zelda dungeon design back for botw 2. But #1 was a nice change of pace and I'm OK with these changes once in a while to keep things fresh for the series. So that when they do bring the traditional dungeons back it'll feel real great after being gone for a while.

I liked SR for the fact that it focuses on metroids. Exterminating metroids is very awesome. I liked the original GB ver. too Even though the game feels very dated today. But I play dated games all the time.

I do agree that the original metroids like Super, Fusion and Zero Mission felt better in controls and gameplay. Especially Fusion and Zero. And overall liked those games more. Bit SR was still a good game.

Controls did not feel imprecise to me. And challenging bosses that gave me a Hard time on my normal play through where I died multiple times, I beat easily on my second Hard mode run through. All AI moves in patterns.

Games nowadays are too easy which makes them boring and I turn off. Dread I played all the way through. I gives a nice challenge to overcome and once you overcome it becomes rewarding and keeps you glued.

You will die alot of times in the beginning trying to figure out the bosses and I'm fine with that because of its generous check point system that wasn't in previous metroids. So you don't have to back track all the way back to the boss and gets rid of the tedium of that. Plus those door guards before boss fights will refill your energy and weapons giving you what you need for boss fights.

I'm going through Hard mode way easier the Normal mode and it just shows you need to learn patterns and get better. And the controls are not an issue for me.
I think for me, it was just memorizing and getting used to the "features". Like, being in the air and tapping the left shoulder button causes you to go into morphball. There are a lot of these button combination, and accidentally pressing them happens a lot, until you train your brain not to do them. It feels more like a fighting game in that regard. They still feel squishy on my hard play-through, mainly the double jump requirements, but I've adapted to them. Like, I can do them, but my brain is still wanting more precision.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the game. It's fusion and samus returns smooshed together, which is grand. And none of the Other M vibe is there. It's a proper, actual Metroid game. Just wish it was tweaked a bit better.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
I think for me, it was just memorizing and getting used to the "features". Like, being in the air and tapping the left shoulder button causes you to go into morphball. There are a lot of these button combination, and accidentally pressing them happens a lot, until you train your brain not to do them. It feels more like a fighting game in that regard. They still feel squishy on my hard play-through, mainly the double jump requirements, but I've adapted to them. Like, I can do them, but my brain is still wanting more precision.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the game. It's fusion and samus returns smooshed together, which is grand. And none of the Other M vibe is there. It's a proper, actual Metroid game. Just wish it was tweaked a bit better.
I believe you can also double tap down to morph ball just like previous Metroid games.

Having an additional separate button for morph ball makes it so much easier and quicker then double tapping down because it's only a single button press. Instead of pressing down, and moving the stick in a neutral position so you can press down again.

If anything that double down press is like a fighting game combination also. Tie'ng the morph ball to the shoulder button press was alot easier for me. And the double down press is there for people that like the previous Metroid games controls.

This game has the best implementation of shine spark. You can drop down on a ledge that is disconnected from an upper ledge and still be able to retain and keep your spineshark charge. You can slide and morph ball into a shine spark. You can wall jump with speed boost and still maintain your charge on the upper ledge you jump onto. A boss is even designed around speed boosting for one of its phases and you can 1 hit ko that boss with a shine spark.

The thing I feel this game does really well over previous Metroids is all your items gets used and don't feel wasted. 100% older metroids gives you a crap ton of missiles and power bombs you hardly ever use, it feels wasted, no point in collecting 100% besides for collection purposes of getting all the items the game has for different endings.

But this game is less generous on its expansion. And getting all the items makes the challenging bosses a little bit easier to get through. It doesn't overload you on power bombs that you will never need. It doesn't feel wasted 100% the game.

Last edited by SG854,

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe you can also double tap down to morph ball just like previous metorid games.

Having an additional separate button for morph ball makes it so much easier and quicker then double tapping down because it's only a single button press. Instead of pressing down, and moving the stick in a neutral position so you can press down again.

If anything that double down press is like a fighting game combination also. Tie'ng the morph ball to the shoulder button press was alot easier for me. And the double down press is there for people that like the previous Metroid games controls.

This game has the best implementation of shine spark. You can drop down on a ledge that is disconnected from an upper ledge and still be able to retain and keep your spineshark charge. You can slide and morph ball into a shine spark. You can wall jump with speed boost and still maintain your charge on the upper ledge.l you jump onto. A boss is even designed around speed boosting and you can 1 hit ko that boss with a shine spark.

The thing I feel this game does really well over previous Metroids is all your items gets used and don't feel wasted. 100% older metroids gives you a crap ton of missiles and power bombs you hardly ever use, it feels wasted, no point in collecting 100% besides for collection purposes of getting all the items the game has for different endings.

But this game is less generous on its expansion. And getting all the items makes the challenging bosses a little bit easier to get through. It doesn't overload you on power bombs that you will never need. It doesn't feel wasted 100% the game.
oh yeah, agreed. The items are a lot more limited so you use them appropriately. I appreciate this, for sure. And they definitely made the shine spark more fun. Took me a bit to realize I could bounce off walls and slide and retain the shine spark. Figured it by realizing it was the only thing that'd allow getting some of those items. tried it, and was like "huh. okay, we can do that now. neat".

funny thing about that shinespark killable boss; I tried it and it didn't work for me. I didn't know it was possible, I was just trying things and was disappointed when nothing happened. Then i heard other people had success, so I must have just hit it during an invincibility frame or situation and didn't notice. I definitely played through with zero spoilers or guides, so now i'm reading about all these things that are possible and it's like "oh, neat".

The sequence breaking is fun too, I'll definitely be trying those.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
oh yeah, agreed. The items are a lot more limited so you use them appropriately. I appreciate this, for sure. And they definitely made the shine spark more fun. Took me a bit to realize I could bounce off walls and slide and retain the shine spark. Figured it by realizing it was the only thing that'd allow getting some of those items. tried it, and was like "huh. okay, we can do that now. neat".

funny thing about that shinespark killable boss; I tried it and it didn't work for me. I didn't know it was possible, I was just trying things and was disappointed when nothing happened. Then i heard other people had success, so I must have just hit it during an invincibility frame or situation and didn't notice. I definitely played through with zero spoilers or guides, so now i'm reading about all these things that are possible and it's like "oh, neat".

The sequence breaking is fun too, I'll definitely be trying those.
I also played through the whole thing 100% without any guide. 1st play throughs are best played like that.

The Kraid sequence breaking is a great addition and it's great that developers reward for this. While in Fusion they focused on getting rid of sequence breaking as much as they can. It shows that the developers know how these games are played. These are speed running games and sequence breaking is a big part of them, and I felt the devopers did a good job designing the game around that. Speed boost to wall jump. The slide mechanic to morphball. Or slide to jump. The easier way to kill bosses if you can find it.

Also this game is probably the most novice friendly of the metroidvania genre as it offers hints and tutorials without insulting people's intelligence. There's no long dialog or text boxes with long winded explanations. It mostly shows you and teaches you how to play through game play itself.

Watching David Jaffe failing at this game and other people easily figuring out what to do really highlights and shows the awesome job developers did to design the game to tech people it's mechanics and how these games work. Especially people without any knowledge of the metroidvania genre and this being their first Metroid they still managed to beat it.

For the room David got stuck in it literally tells you through text at the beginning of the game that there is hidden blocks and try shooting with missles. There's even a section you have to shoot hidden blocks before you enter the room he's entered. These games are all about exploration and uncovering hidden secrets and that's what I like about these games. Also the aeon ability makes finding hidden blocks easier as well as power bombs.

David Jaffe is being ratio'd and for good reason. I respect him for creating the awesome God of War and working on the Twisted metal games but even developers can be goof balls.

Last edited by SG854,

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They are both hot garbage
why does ninty keep handing it's best franchises to shit studios like mercury steam?
this game turned out be exactly what I expected it to be only a little worse
it just looks and feels generic AF , yes it's exactly like Samus returns and LOS MOF
only without the cool 3D effect of the 3DS
you played one mercury steam....ing pile of shit you have played them all
sorry but I don't like their engine it just has a super generic feel
the 3 games are all like the exact same game with a different skin on it
only this game was actually even more annoying , the emmie shit got really fucking old
real quick, yeah it was spoopy for the first couple times but was waaaaaaaay overused
the controls are awkward and frustrating at times, the shine spark shit was the absolute fucking worst
kraid was the best part of the game the rest was just the same old crap, the chozo soldiers also got really fucking old
quick , they game just keeps throwing hard but shitty bosses at you constantly like the chozo soldiers that I fucking hated

with a passion , the game has hardly any exploration to it, when you miss something you can't even go back
doors relocking with closed access or freezing or other BS ruined the backtracking aspect
also the map and scanning makes it too easy and predictable and ruins the exploration
aspect
the graphics are generic and it doensn't look or feel like a metroid game just like Samus returns

to many bosses in quick succession , too many items in quick succession and no time to actually use them
game just feels generic AF and like going through the motion but not metroid motions
even other M is better that the MS games

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/kTzpzBF.mp4