Metroid 64 fan game in development for PC

y8vfocjmvHUVTfBxdcTq9V-970-80.jpg

Metroid is perhaps the most notable Nintendo franchise that skipped the Nintendo 64. While the possibility of a Metroid 64 has been mentioned in passing, it does not seem that it was ever in any serious consideration. (According to a 2010 interview with Super Metroid director Yoshio Sakamoto, both he and another company they tried to outsource a potential Metroid 64 to could not see any way for it to compare favourably to Super Metroid.) Now, indie developer Luto Akino is working on what he thinks Metroid 64 may have looked like.

A Tweet from April 26, 2022 shows a two minute demo of gameplay basics; we get to see Samus running and shooting, turning into a morphball, as well as some platforming. While development is certainly in the early stages, Akino appears to be serious about the project, to the point that he has written a synopsis for the story and decided where it will go in the timeline, taking place before the original Metroid so that it doesn't "interfere with the official timeline." Akino has also said that, while he would love for it to be playable as a ROM, right now it is only being developed for the PC.

You can follow Metroid 64's development on Akino's Twitter and Instagram pages.

Reploid

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
For PC and not N64. How odd. Prolly gonna need to connect this weird ass n64 controller somehow for some authenticity

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm really not crazy about modern demake projects leaning heavily into the idea of: this is what this game would have been like on the N64 or PS1, but oh, it's only gonna be playable on PC, not on those systems or emulators of those systems. There was a very recent Bloodborne fan project that promotes itself as a PS1 demake version of Bloodborne; yet it's not even being designed to be playable on a PS1. It begs the question from me, of what exactly is the point? It feels like false advertising, drop the 64 in the title here, and stop promoting the Bloodborne demake as a PS1 version, when its imply isn't. I'm absolutely willing to revisit the early 3D style, but just say that's what you're doing, trying to recapture the feel of early 3D video games, that feels way more honest from the start.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I know back then the trend for polygon 3D games was considered cutting edge but I wish they could've ignored that and made a Metroid 64 that's just a 3D model on a 2D plane like Kirby 64.

Archolm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm really not crazy about modern demake projects leaning heavily into the idea of: this is what this game would have been like on the N64 or PS1, but oh, it's only gonna be playable on PC, not on those systems or emulators of those systems. There was a very recent Bloodborne fan project that promotes itself as a PS1 demake version of Bloodborne; yet it's not even being designed to be playable on a PS1. It begs the question from me, of what exactly is the point? It feels like false advertising, drop the 64 in the title here, and stop promoting the Bloodborne demake as a PS1 version, when its imply isn't. I'm absolutely willing to revisit the early 3D style, but just say that's what you're doing, trying to recapture the feel of early 3D video games, that feels way more honest from the start.
The bloodborne demake had me laughing in my chair, why not set it to low res and call it a day?

kcajjones

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm always saddened when I find a game is made in Unity. I think competition is good, but for me unity games tend to have more bugs/crashes and worse performance than Unreal Engine alternatives.

DKB

NO
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm always saddened when I find a game is made in Unity. I think competition is good, but for me unity games tend to have more bugs/crashes and worse performance than Unreal Engine alternatives.
Unity is flat out a worse(coded) engine overall. But, it has far more documentation and more readily accessible guides for it, mainly due it being less resource heavy; Thus, allows people with worse computers to use it freely. Unreal is mainly made up of professionals that are too busy, and can't help each other. But, this brings in the stigma that Unity is garbage overall because it's easier to use, hence, allowing worse programmers to be able to make bad games.

Unity is a good engine, but, bad devs flock to it due to it's ease of use.

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was thinking the same damn thing and I hated that as a result of it. I miss the days of proper demakes, not these half assed makes.

Remember shit like Gang Garrison 2? I loved that shit.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
these fools don't learn and don't listen we've seen what happens we've seen it happen again and again and it's going to happen once more 100%

countdown to DMCA!

MariArch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. C&D
2. Change name and all assets
3. Development limbo with no updates on progress

Anyone remember Oddity?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"