Metal Gear Survive announced

At Gamescom today, Konami has revealed a spinoff game in the Metal Gear Solid franchise, of all things. Titled Metal Gear Survive, it's a 4 player co-op stealth game that takes place after Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes. This game will be the first Metal Gear Solid title after Hideo Kojima's departure from Konami. Metal Gear Survive will also be running on Konami's Fox Engine.

Metal Gear Survive will offer a fresh take on the series’ famed stealth elements, [...] but within a unique co-op setting that is designed for a truly engrossing multiplayer experience.”

Justinde75

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I wouldn't say that. It's quite clearly set in the metal gear universe, just with a twist. But of course it won't be nearly as good as the actual metal gear games.
Yeah, killing some kinds of zombies. And by the looks of it, stealth won't be the focus

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Literally all they had to do was remaster the original METAL GEAR games for the 3DS and/or Vita and they'd be swimming in money and praise.
And a Ghost Babel remake would probably make them more money than they could spend.

Focusing on the actual game in question:
The concept is interesting, and it could easily spawn an enjoyable multiplayer experience. If done right, it could be the next "flavor of the month" for several gaming communities. Arguably, we really haven't seen a decent co-op stealth game since the days of Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, and off the top of my head I can't think of one that allowed for a full team of 4 players.

That being said, using the Metal Gear name as a crutch reveals they have little to no faith in the game and those developing it, and is more likely to make fans of the series upset than it is to draw in new players. In fact, as the Metal Gear franchise has so much backstory and L O R E, I could easily see this choice making potential new players hesitant to pick up this game without experiencing the previous titles, by which point the game (and possibly Konami) may no longer be relevant. At least if they hitched onto another existing IP, they could free themselves from being known as "The People Who Make Metal Gear Solid and Sometimes Pachinko".

Ultimately, I'm conflicted. I'm interested in the concept and I want to see similar ideas in the future, but success would only tell Konami that they don't need to move on. Plus, if they're willing to stand on the back of recent controversy and spit in the face of a loyal fanbase only to make a quick buck, I have no problem watching their efforts crash and burn.

Reactions: guisadop and Chary

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup