metal gear solid

pizzaman2893

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well i got all the games of the series (I havent played them all ) and this series is really confusing. I was wondering if yall guys can help me figure some stuff out.
Why are there different types of snake? (solid snake, naked snake, liquid snake)
What are the differences between the snake characters?
Are all the games in order chronologically?

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
pizzaman2893 said:
Well i got all the games of the series (I havent played them all ) and this series is really confusing. I was wondering if yall guys can help me figure some stuff out.
Why are there different types of snake? (solid snake, naked snake, liquid snake)

1) Solid, Liquid and Solidus were made from Naked Snake's (Big Boss) genes.
2) They're different people, although I guess you could say Liquid, Solid and Solidus are brothers.
3) 3 (Snake Eater) comes first. It has a direct sequel on the PSP called Portable Ops.

Solid Snake and Naked Snake are both voiced by David Hayter, though.

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
The games aren't in chronological order.

MGS1 is the first game so I'll use this as a reference point.
MGS2 is set some years after MGS1.
MG3 is a prequel.
MGS4 is set some years after MGS2.
The reson there are so many snakes is because the first snake, "naked snake" was considered the greatest soldier in the world. They took him and cloned him in a project called "Les Enfants Terrible".
That project spawned 3 working clones. Solid Snake, the protagonist of the first and fourth game.
Liquid Snake, the antagonist for the first game and possessing OCelot in the ffourth.
Solidus Snake, the antagonist of the second game and father of raiden.

Usually i woudl hesistate before spoling so much but the main storyline is so damn confusing that even after replaying all of them (cept 4) i still dont get most of it

pizzaman2893

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Law said:
pizzaman2893 said:

1) Solid, Liquid and Solidus were made from Naked Snake's (Big Boss) genes.
2) They're different people, although I guess you could say Liquid, Solid and Solidus are brothers.
3) 3 (Snake Eater) comes first. It has a direct sequel on the PSP called Portable Ops.

Solid Snake and Naked Snake are both voiced by David Hayter, though.
I was wondering why they sounded exactly the same
I havent really played amy of the games through yet so should I start metal gear 3 since it is the first one set in the timeline?

Trippy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Am I the only person who doesn't pay attention to MGS's story line?
I played portable ops and mgs2 and would just skip the cutscenes when the game allowed.
It was always some ridiculous plot anyways, but at least the gameplay more than made up for it.

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well... most of this is gonna have to go into spoiler tags but...
tongue.gif

QUOTE said:
If you pay close attention you may notice that most (if not all) characters that contain the "Snake" suffix in their name are biologically related. Such as Solid Snake is Liquid Snake's brother, and many other relations you'll discover in later games (don't wanna spoil too much for ya)
wink.gif

QUOTE said:
Well, for one, they're all different people/characters and come from different backgrounds. Some are affiliated with a "good" side of the story (Solid Snake), some are affiliated with the "evil" side of the story (Liquid Snake), while some fall in between and all over the place (Solidus Snake, Naked Snake). Once you start playing through the game more, everything should (hopefully) fall into place, it does get very confusing at times...
nyanya.gif

Chronologically, the games play out in this order:

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops (PSP)

Metal Gear (MSX2, NES, some other systems I can't recall)
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (MSX2)
Metal Gear Solid (PS1)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (PS2)
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3)

The two unbolded titles aren't part of the "Solid Series" and aren't really needed to fully experience the full storyline, but some references to events in those titles are made throughout the "Solid Series".
wink.gif

I'd be glad to answer any other questions, I'm a bit of MGS nut...
nyanya.gif

pizzaman2893

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks but I havent really played any of the games through yet so should I start metal gear 3 since it is the first one set in the timeline?

Law

Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
pizzaman2893 said:
thanks but I havent really played any of the games through yet so should I start metal gear 3 since it is the first one set in the timeline?

You can play them in any order, but I played 3 first and I would recommend playing the first game first since the gameplay elements are a bit.. different.

Edit: Disappointed was the wrong word to use. Re-wrote the post.

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pizzaman2893 said:
I would recommend playing through them the order in which they were released, starting with MGS1. Starting at MGS3 is cool, but the experience is much more shocking and awesome once you've gotten accustomed to who everyone is and such. There's quite a few surprises in MGS3 that some wouldn't understand if they just start with that title first.

This is actually quite funny, I just bought the MGS Essential Collection a few months back to play through it all again and I'm about to start at the beginning as well...
laugh.gif

Law

Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Xcalibur said:
Solidus Snake, the antagonist of the second game and father of raiden.

Can't believe I missed that post earlier.

More like a foster father. Solidus killed Raiden's real parents and raised him as a soldier. If I recall correctly, none of the three Snakes can have children.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: it won't make it better or worse