Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain 40 minute gameplay demo

MGSV_The_Phantom_Pain_boxart.jpg
IGN has recently made available a 40 minute gameplay video of the upcoming Metal Gear Solid 5 - The Phantom Pain. If you're curious to find out more about the game (which is scheduled for release on September 2015 on PC, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3, PS4) check out the video below.

More info at the Metal Gear Solid V wiki page
Or watch the video on YouTube

Reactions: ComeTurismO

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I doubt it, this one's a full open world game with tons of missions.
That guy only plays a couple of missions in the video. Seems like it will take ages to complete the game fully
I was making a funny about how short Ground Zeroes was :unsure:

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
I was making a funny about how short Ground Zeroes was :unsure:
well you successfully trolled me :P

also, now for my personal opinion: I'm a die hard MGS fan, but I am totally hating this. It doesn't look anything like the kinds of MGS games I enjoyed the most (MGS 3 being my personal favorite). This takes place in the future, the weapons and item arsenal is crazy huge, you ship enemies and random items via air balloons.. wtf...

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

also, now for my personal opinion: I'm a die hard MGS fan, but I am totally hating this. It doesn't look anything like the kinds of MGS games I enjoyed the most (MGS 3 being my personal favorite). This takes place in the future, the weapons and item arsenal is crazy huge, you ship enemies and random items via air balloons.. wtf...
I trolled you so hard, you had to triple quote me.
Lol, I know you are actually knew that. I still need to catch up on them >.< So I have no strong feelings on this.

LanHikariDS

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This takes place in the future, the weapons and item arsenal is crazy huge, you ship enemies and random items via air balloons.. wtf...
Actually, Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, Metal Gear Solid, MGS2, and MGS4 took place in the future (for the time of their releases). MGS5 takes place before even the original Metal Gear, which, by today, is in the past, by about 30 years.

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Actually, Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, Metal Gear Solid, MGS2, and MGS4 took place in the future (for the time of their releases). MGS5 takes place before even the original Metal Gear, which, by today, is in the past, by about 30 years.
yes, I know this isn't the only MGS to take place in the future.
What I really meant is that it uses too many futuristic elements (unlike MGS 1 and 2 for example)

LanHikariDS

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so the events in this video take place in 1985 ? really? or am I missing something
I don't know if it's EXACTLY '85, but I know it does take place around the '80s, because Peace Walker was 1970, Ground Zeroes was some short time after that, and then Snake went into a 10-year coma, followed by the opening of Phantom Pain.

EDIT: A quick search says 1984

Last edited by LanHikariDS,

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
I don't know if it's EXACTLY '85, but I know it does take place around the '80s, because Peace Walker was 1970, Ground Zeroes was some short time after that, and then Snake went into a 10-year coma, followed by the opening of Phantom Pain.

EDIT: A quick search says 1984
I see... well, all the tech in the demo makes little sense then. Maybe they justify it somehow during a cutscene, haha

NetSphereEngineer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/there-s-no-pay-to-win-option-in-metal-gear-solid-v/1100-6428359/

"However, due to the sheer scale of the game and the time required to explore it all, microtransactions were added as a completely optional feature for players who might not be able to spend as much time with the game, nothing more, nothing less."

What do you guys think about this microtransactions thing in this game? I know they say it will not be pay to win but this always bother me. If I don't have time to play a game I just don't play it! I'm doing this right now and avoiding big games and playing simpler games like Wipeout for PS1 and things like that.

Also if they want "help" players just give a cheat option in the menu that you can decide to use or not. Ppl who want to use it can only use one time a day or week.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't care about microtransactions if it's purely optional and meant to make the experience more viable for a wider range of gamers. They're only problematic when they create an unfair experience by adding things that are unobtainable in the main game. They're only completely dumb when they're easy fatalities in MKX. But really, Tales games on modern platforms do the same thing by offering post-game GRADE NG+ rewards as microtransaction items. Since these GRADE rewards are made to customize the experience and make NG+ easier and faster to get through each time, naturally they ultimately make the game more accessible to those lacking in time or patience if they're available for real money.

It's nice because these ones are a simple case of "if you don't like them, just don't spend money on them." It's a far cry from smartphone games that largely make playing the game an absolute trial unless you buy their many individually cheap but collectively expensive items and additions, or F2P games that unbalance the entire multiplayer experience by giving obvious advantages to those who spend money making them P2W.

AceWarhead

"Must Construct Additional Pylons"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I pray that microtransactions are limited to very small things, and don't affect gameplay.
Just imagine a prompt popping up when suspicion arises: "Would you like to pay .99$ to take away suspicion?"

LanHikariDS

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see... well, all the tech in the demo makes little sense then. Maybe they justify it somehow during a cutscene, haha
Admittedly, AI tanks that sing aren't very realistic for the 1970's, so It's not too different. We'll just have to wait and see what Kojima's got cooking for us in his final hours.

Oh... Snake is featured in a new Borderlands game? What a weird crossover...

Wait... this is actually a MGS game?
Yup

I pray that microtransactions are limited to very small things, and don't affect gameplay.
Just imagine a prompt popping up when suspicion arises: "Would you like to pay .99$ to take away suspicion?"
I think they're just limited to letting you buy weapons and equipment with real money, instead of going out and looking for blueprints and developing them (Assuming Phantom Pain uses the same R&D system as Peace Walker). If it does become like that, buying your way out of Alert Phase, I'm done with Konami for the rest of my life

Last edited by LanHikariDS,
D

Deleted User

also, now for my personal opinion: I'm a die hard MGS fan

but I am totally hating this. It doesn't look anything like the kinds of MGS games I enjoyed the most (MGS 3 being my personal favorite). This takes place in the future, the weapons and item arsenal is crazy huge, you ship enemies and random items via air balloons.. wtf...

Its basically an expanded Peace Walker.

Granted if you hated Peace Walker you won't be a huge fan of this.

The game takes place in 1984, a year they've been stating since long before releasing ground zeroes, so thats 2 years ago, maybe you missed all the previous trailers and information about the game + ground zeroes though.

The tech however is largely fictional, more so than most of the other MGS games.

MGS1 had its stealth suits and Rex, MGS2 had its Rays, crazy liquid Ocelot and MGS3 was more down to earth, 4 had a crazy global control system based on nanomachines, none of the games have been particularly realistic in their own ways.
They take place in the real world but its that sort of stylized realism, where non-realistic things get thrown in and you just sort of buy it.

This game has the Idroid though, the holographic thing thats a bit much considering its time period, then its got Metal Gear Rex according to its trailers (early prototype I guess, still, 1984 walking robots, NOPE), then its got that other weird Drobot thing going on, not liking that much, but its entirely optional eitherway. This game takes the lore a little further than the others.

The balloon thing and having your own based, straight from Peace Walker, just slightly expanded thats all, its a real system (it was even used in MGS3 in a story segment), exists in real life but wasn't great so they didn't mass produce it. In peace walker you only picked up enemies and hostages via the balloon, now its all sorts of things, I think theres a limit.

This all said, Its not quite the MGS game I wanted either, I loved MGS1 its corridoors its claustrophobic feel, really felt like inflitration, MGS2 much the same, 3 stepped away from this a bit but had its areas, but if this game is largely outdoor, then its not the MGS I've been waiting for, but I'm sure its plots going to be just as good as the others nonetheless.

Reactions: Costello

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1