Metal Gear Solid V: How to Charge Money for a Demo and Get Away With It

Discussion in 'PS3 - Games & Content' started by Subtle Demise, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Subtle Demise
    OP

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    So I just finished Ground Zeroes and I did pretty poorly and took my time and it still only took about 2 and a half hours for the main mission. I haven't played any of the side ops yet but I'm guessing if it's anything like Peace Walker, they're only going to take about 5-10 minutes a piece. Discuss the direction of the Video game industry and how it's devolved into charging premium price for a glorified demo. I'd have been happier just waiting for the REAL MGSV: Phantom Pain. I'd expect something like this from a franchise like Call of Duty and at least THAT has online multiplayer.

2. BlackWizzard17

BlackWizzard17 Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.

Dec 1, 2012
    United States
    E-Arth

This kind of explains why the game is this way.
    It's not the main mission but if you don't seem appealed to it then it seems that I would be better off to just buy MGS:Phantom Pain. I wanna play both though I don't care:P

3. Subtle Demise
    OP

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    Don't get me wrong it's really good. They did a lot of good for the series and it's one of, if not THE best looking game on the PS3, I just wish there was something MORE. I understand it's just a teaser for Phantom Pain but still, at least put some VR missions or something in it.

4. BlackWizzard17

BlackWizzard17 Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.

Dec 1, 2012
    United States
    E-Arth
    Yeah that would be real cool to have some VR missions or something extra for download

5. pokefloote

pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

Mar 20, 2009
    United States
    At least we get Peace Walker HD for pre-ordering it on PS3. I think of it like this: I haven't played PW yet, so I'm buying PW and getting a demo with it. :wink:

Peace Walker is $20 anyway.

6. Subtle Demise
    OP

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    Yeah that'd be cool unless you already bought the MGS HD Collection (which I have)

7. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    So I've been playing the game since 1PM (it's 10 to 7PM now) and also finished the main mission in about 2 hours... and here's my thoughts:
    • The main mission is indeed really short - you could easily speedrun it, but that simply takes the fun out of it
    • There's 5 SideOps, one of which is a console-specific ExtraOps, each mission also has a Hard Mode and challenges, so there's quite a bit of post-main mission content
    • The game is indeed practically one huge level with no loading sections throughout, and there's a lot going on in it. You can drive vehicles, you can interrogate soldiers, you can save POW's - there's stuff going on besides the mission, so if you feel like it, you can set your own objectives
    • The game controls really well - it's possibly the most "fun" Metal Gear Solid game in terms of the actual gameplay. It's much more dynamic, the action is more fast-paced and the newly-implemented Reflex system gives you a chance to prevent the alarm from being raised if an enemy spots you
    • Certain parts of the environment are fully destructable, which is a first in Metal Gear Solid. If a wooden search tower causes you grief and you can't think of any way around it, chances are that you can go through it
    • The game lacks any kind of indication how well you're camuflaged, which is a shame. The old tricks like hiding in darkness, under buildings, vehicles or in the bushes all work, but you're never sure how well you're hidden, which is a shame
    • Speaking of vehicles, they handle very well, although the programmed weight of them probably needs a bit of adjusting - the APC is a bit wobbly when taking sharp turns
    • Each of the soldiers in-game appears to be unique, which is actually a neat detail - the new gameplay mechanics encourage you to use the previously useless binoculars, so at least what you're going to see is different every time
    • The story's there, it's a great introduction to the Phantom Pain and it played on my heartstrings, but I don't want to spoil anything so I'll just stop here. It's definitely more "serious" than previous Metal Gear games.
    All in all, do I recommend buying it? Is it worth it? I'm in two minds. The game's very short and unless you're a Completionist, you won't get much out of it. As I've said earlier, I spent about 5 and a half hours on it and reached 10% completion by finishing the first mission and the first SideOp, so I assume that there's maybe 3-4 hours left before it's nothing else but challenges - that's 8-9 hours of gameplay total. If in your opinion that warrants a $25-$30 purchase, go on ahead and get it - you'll have fun. If you don't, you should probably wait for the Phantom Pain with which it'll undoubtedly be bundled, or at least wait till it drops in price. It's far, far from a complete video game, but it's more spacious than a demo - it's something in-between. At the very least, what I can say is that it's a lot of fun and time flies while playing it. I enjoyed my time with it and the only disappointment that really hit me was... well, the length. That about covers it, I think.