Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater 3D uses 4GB 3DS card

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by granville, Jun 8, 2011.

1. granville
    OP

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    [​IMG]
    The 3DS port of Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater 3D is generating some tech buzz. The reason is that it's using a larger sized cartridge than what would normally be available- 4GB, confirmed at one of Konami's press conferences. It was said that 3DS games would be able to support a maximum of 2GB at the 3DS' launch (by Nintendo). This is not uncommon as often a specific limit is imposed early on and the size slowly grows to larger capacity over the years (DS supported a max of 128MB at launch and later rose to 256 and 512 over several years). It's noteworthy mostly because it's so early on in the 3DS' life cycle. 4GB brings 3DS cartridges roughly on par with a standard single layer DVD. No surprise that MGS would require such a cartridge, the PS2 version was on a full DVD and almost maxed out the space in it (Subsistence used TWO DVD's, the second one for Metal Gear Online). Whether the 3DS game will have the second disk content is unknown, but it is noteworthy for calling on such a large capacity card so early in the 3DS' life. Most 3DS games (if any) don't even seem to be using the max 2GB size previously said to be the imposed limit, the first 3DS rom dumps indicate that they're in the range of larger DS cartridges. It was said by the manufacturers of 3DS game cards that the maximum technical limit will be 8GB (roughly a dual layer DVD). One wonders when we could see THAT sort of capacity at this rate. In the meantime, Snake Eater 3D is looking to be a rather strait port of the PS2 game with a redesigned and streamlined control and inventory management system (to compensate for the fewer controls). It is slated for release later this year. [/p]
    [​IMG] Source #1
    [​IMG] Source #2

2. Schlupi

Member Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™

United States
    I have been looking forward to this, I hope they don't kill it by censoring anything.

3. Awdofgum

Member Awdofgum Wadofgum

United States
    What could they censor? I mean as long as it's rated M, it should just be an exact port.

4. demonicstrife

Member demonicstrife *INSERTGENERICTITLE*

United States
    Subsistance was actually a single disc, even with extra content. The second disc was Metal Gear Online.

5. granville
    OP

United States
    Yeah, i actually knew that and MEANT to say that, but i guess it didn't come out as well.

6. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I know some people were complaining that while the game improved on some aspects in comparison to the PS2 counterpart, it looked worse in others. If the game was originally being designed with 2GB in mind and that the limit to 4GB was a recent development, then maybe that will lead to improvement in those problem areas.

7. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Not surprising. Most games that have been released already are rather low-content and focus on replayability. Content takes up space... and also takes time to create. We're likely to see the capacity increasing again, but I don't see anything larger than 8GB considering the bulk of space is often video (and the 3DS has a low resolution) and audio (and the 3DS doesn't have 8 sound channels or anything like that).

I never beat snake eater for the PS2... so it's nice to hear it's coming to the 3DS.

8. granville
    OP

United States
    That's a possibility. One of the main issues with the game is that the textures look lower resolution than the original. Having a 4GB card could help this, if they aren't already using that and haven't yet finalized the textures. Another issue is that some of the models are slightly lower in polygon count. I doubt having a larger cart could help that, just more time in development would though.

Personally, i feel it balances out. The 3DS version looks slightly worse in some areas compared to the PS2 version. But there are some instances where you can see the 3DS' superior shader support working its magic. Like the skydiving scene in the trailer, his clothes are far better shaded and look much more realistic than before. The game will inevitably end up looking better when played on the actual system anyways, in 3D no less.

In a somewhat offtopic subject, having a larger cartridge could lead to good things for the new Smash Bros on 3DS as well. Perhaps we can get a game with Brawl-like content (yes i know some people disliked Brawl, but the content was extensive thanks to a dual layer DVD).

9. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    The graphics look on-par really, it just kinda bummed me out that it wouldn't be really a remake but more so just a standard port.

My real concern is controls though. Although if they map items to the touchscreen it shouldn't be an issue.

I'm guessing with this size cart though that it won't be Subsistence and it'll just kinda put the final nail in the coffin for me. No reason to buy it over the HD Collection now, it seems. Well, odds are they'd cut out Snake vs. the Monkey (I think it uses the Ape Escape brand), possibly Metal Gear Online (considering that name is now used for MGS4), and just keep the two original Metal Gear games and the control differences. Wouldn't really compel me to get it over the HD version, though.

10. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    4GB cart?

Damn, this better be a good game (again).

11. Feels Good Man

Member Feels Good Man GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    This game looks extremely choppy on the 3DS judging from the gameplay videos from E3.

It's kinda disappointing :\

12. azoreseuropa

Member azoreseuropa GBAtemp Psycho!

Portugal
    Dont jumping to the conclusion too quickly. BE PATIENT! See it with your own eyes when it is on sale! JEEZ!

13. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    The Wii U looked like a bad thing from the E3 videos. But until it comes out, who knows?

14. granville
    OP

United States
    The rated M is not necessarily because it is stupid and immature. Really unnecessarily.

Not sure i understood you, but he's basically saying that since it shares the same ESRB rating, it shouldn't have any sort of censoring. That would be stupid seeing as it's already M rated.

@Guild-

They're obviously removing the Ape Escape reference. Instead, they're replacing that with Yoshi. Though i've no idea what this entails. [​IMG]

It's way too early to say whether this is what the final game will look like. Still has many more months of development.

15. Feels Good Man

Member Feels Good Man GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    Eh, for the most part, I thought the Wii U videos looked interesting. Metal Gear on the other hand looks kinda choppy and hopefully won't be when the final product hits store shelves. But right now, it's disappointing because this was one of my most anticipated games for the 3DS.

[youtube]-vYmY3aFc34[/youtube]

16. KingdomBlade

Member KingdomBlade Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)

Philippines
    This game looks extremely choppy on the 3DS judging from the gameplay videos from E3.

Seriously, is making observations considered bad now?

17. SS4

Member SS4 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Man the flashcart are gonna need to be huge if more 3DS games are gonna be like that.

Hopefully well have 256gb or 512gb microSD by the time 3DS flashcart are out [​IMG]

18. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    Why aren't I shocked that MGS uses a 4GB card?

I expected it to use more even!

19. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    I agree with you on that. With the lack of a second Analog Stick and having both the Circle and D-Pads on the same side, it will make it a little difficult. They'll likely use the gyroscope when aiming, which I'm not really looking forward to.

20. granville
    OP

United States
    Nintendo Everything has impressions reporting that MGS3D suffers from severe lag and graphical glitches. It's looking like this game will indeed look and play worse than the PS2 version unless the game's coding is still unfinished. Shame, looks like another lazy port. I expected as much from Ubisoft for something like Splinter Cell, but i didn't think Konami or Kojima would do something like that.