Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Are you on about Rising or MGS2?

If about Rising: Solid was never in the title.

If about MGS2: Raiden's on the search for Snake, Snake's his mentor, Snake gives him a life lesson by the end of the game, Snake, Snake, Snake. Metal Gear. Snake. It's very much similar to the previous game. ;)

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
First thoughts when watching the video: "That guy looks a lot like an augmented person in Deus Ex: Human Revolution" :wtf:

Other than that, looked nice, but not really that revolutionary.. *looks at FFXIII Trailers and looks at the game itself* Bah..

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If about MGS2: Raiden's on the search for Snake, Snake's his mentor, Snake gives him a life lesson by the end of the game, Snake, Snake, Snake. Metal Gear. Snake. It's very much similar to the previous game. ;)

I was talking about Rising, which included Solid in the title from its first announcement up until tonight - check most webstores or gaming sites if you need any proof of that. MGS2 was very much a MGS game, and very much about Snake.

That all being said, I wonder if there are any plans for the Rising subseries beyond a single title, although I feel there probably won't be a need for another one if this is just designed to bridge a gap between MGS2 and 4.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Oh yeah... you're right, back in 2010 it was. I never really noticed that up until now.

In that case, I'm also glad they dropped the Solid, seeing that it's not a typical "MGS" game. ;)

D

Deleted User

I was talking about Rising, which included Solid in the title from its first announcement up until tonight - check most webstores or gaming sites if you need any proof of that. MGS2 was very much a MGS game, and very much about Snake.

That all being said, I wonder if there are any plans for the Rising subseries beyond a single title, although I feel there probably won't be a need for another one if this is just designed to bridge a gap between MGS2 and 4.
Metal Gear Solid is the IP, Like how all final fantasies have the same name but with everything being different.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Metal Gear Solid is the IP, Like how all final fantasies have the same name but with everything being different.

Not true, read previous posts. There are significant differences between Metal Gear, Metal Gear Ac!d and Metal Gear Solid games. If you were to put all the games in these series into one bucket you'd have serious problems with the continuity.

Example: In "Babel" continuity Big Boss was nominated as the leader of Outer Heaven and was funded by the U.S government. The purpose of Outer Heaven was to monitor spy activity, but Big Boss eventually rebelled, leading to the U.S sending in Solid Snake to deal with the issue.

In the Solid continuity Outer Heaven is formed from M.S.F as Big Boss's personal project.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please tell me I'm not the only one who was captivated by the trailer until "revengeance" came on screen. That made me bust out laughing.

It did make me laugh, although it shouldn't - it's an actual word.
According to most credible dictionaries (and my spell check), "revengeance" is not a word.
http://dictionary.re...wse/revengeance
http://www.thefreedi...com/Revengeance

And for the LULZ

http://www.urbandict...erm=revengeance
Note the word credible.

Wombo Combo

That Ain't Falco
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The slow mo slashing in half is really cool. But the normal combat looks like any other generic hack and slash which is nothing new.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Once he threw my robot I realized I was gonna be throwing money at this game.

It looks kinda dumb and a bit like a mindless, God of War-esque hacker and slasher but I'm okay with that. Raiden still hasn't hit puberty it sounds like but everything else is cool. Balls-to-the-wall crazy action. I like it.

FireEmblemGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, hell, I'm already not liking the direction Platinum is going with this:

METAL GEAR SOLID: RISING was a spin-off intended to feature the actions and transformation of Raiden, one of METAL GEAR SOLID 2: SONS OF LIBERTY’s main characters, in the lead-up to METAL GEAR SOLID 4: GUNS OF THE PATRIOTS. However, after Platinum Games came on board, the story was changed to take place several years after METAL GEAR SOLID 4 to give them more of an opportunity to show off what they can bring to the series. Cyborgs are spreading at a rapid pace in the game’s world, resulting in earth-shattering superhuman action at every turn! The original aim for a combination of stealth and action has also been enhanced, for a more aggressive new focus on pure, exhilarating action.

Source:
http://www.konami.jp...n_us/index.html

That page in full confirms the full title to be Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance.

Necron

Lurking~
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
The game looks good. I love the stealth style, but this one it's outside the solid continuity, so no worries there. I also like hack 'n slash games when they are more than a smash button (lol)

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you really need to separate this from your prejudices on Metal Gear. I'll make a parallel to FFCC: The Crystal Bearers.

So many people hated Crystal Bearers because it was nothing like the original Crystal Chronicles games. It was more of a Zelda-esque action adventure game and not so much a RPG. It was still a fine game in its own, but people hated it because it wasn't like the other games in the series.

You're probably gonna need to approach Rising as though it's almost a separate game series without thinking of Metal Gear for being so involved in stealth.

FireEmblemGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like the way the gameplay looks, so far. It's the fact that, at least prior to tonight (and I haven't seen anything saying that it's changed because of tonight's announcements), this game was stated to be within the same continuity as the Metal Gear/MGS games. I don't like the direction the story seems to be headed, and I mostly actually did want to see what took place between MGS 2 and 4 from Raiden's POV. I don't much care for post-MGS4 changes to the universe if it's going to negatively impact an eventual MGS5 (and let's face it, there will be one; it's not like anyone's going to let Kojima stop making them no matter how much he wants to quit).

Who knows, I might be proven wrong, and this game might have a great story and a positive impact on the MG universe. I'm just not counting on that, though.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So this game is basically Devil May Cry with a MGS paint job. You know... I'm okay with that.

As for the title... if that's the best they could come up with, I'm afraid to know what the rejected ones were like.

hkz8000

Trophies
XP
Country
wait, this takes place AFTER mgs4? i thought it was going to be about how he becomes a cyborg and everything

FireEmblemGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's how it was supposed to be, but apparently they scrapped that idea. Maybe if this sells well enough there'll be a Metal Gear Rising 2 that goes and revisits that idea.

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
TBH this reminds me of NMH. I mean you seem to have normal attacks and combos with buttons and when it gets to the finisher you can use the analog-stick to cut the enemy as you please. Looks good though and style-wise it reminds me of Vanquish with all the over-the-top action!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart: shit like goku mui and beerus and other dbs stuff lmao