'Metal Gear' 31st anniversary celebration concludes with a special message from David Hayter

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Prans, Aug 15, 2018.

Front-page
    metal gear 31st.PNG

One of gaming's most iconic series recently celebrated its 31st anniversary and to commemorate that, the director of the upcoming Metal Gear movie, Jordan Vogt-Roberts, started a series of tweets with brand new arts from "next-gen artists" for the past month or so. Vogt-Roberts ended the tribute today with a final art from concept designer and art director Ben Mauro depicting the iconic standoff between Snake and Metal Gear Rex...

mgs art.

... and a surprise video with David Hayter reprising his role as Solid Snake in a codec call!

Around the middle of the codec call, you can notice David Hayter saying "we hope to honor that spirit as we bring this movie to the screen". Now it is pure speculation at this point but it seems like David Hayter might be involved in the movie. Vogt-Roberts has also been regrouping several of the original voice acting cast in his celebration like the voice of Colonel Campbell, Sniper Wolf and Revolver Ocelot. Again it is everyone's guess but this might be an indication that rather than being a live action movie, the big screen adaptation might actually be CGI with each character voiced by their original voice actors.

What do you think? Would you prefer a live action MGS movie or a CGI one? Share your thoughts below!

I, for one, like to think that it could be CGI/comic hybrid with Yoji Shinkawa's artstyle, like Peace Walker's cutscenes.

Discussion (8 replies)
  1. VitaType

VitaType GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 16, 2016
    Germany
    I wonder if 31 has any meaning in that film or if they just wanted to use the nearst Metal Gear anniversary for promoting it :unsure: It's a Kojima thing we speak about so... maybe?

2. Prans
    OP

Prans Geek, gamer, human

pip Reporter
    Apr 22, 2012
    There itself.
    I never paid much attention to that detail but now that you mention it, it does sound odd...

3. guily6669

guily6669 GbaTemp is my Drug

Jun 3, 2013
    United States
    Doomed Island
    Awesome, message from the real Snake :).

WiikeyHacker likes this.
  4. Stephano

Stephano pessimism = Realism

Feb 18, 2016
    United States
    Nowhere
    I love David Hayter. He seems like such a chill guy. Whenever I first saw him and heard him speak, I didn’t realize he was Snake. His real voice sounds nothing like Snake.

TheMrIron2 and Shiro_Senpai like this.
  5. Costello

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    I would much prefer a live action movie. And David Hayter's voice is the real one! not that I didn't like Kiefer Sutherland's work on MGS-V, it was pretty good. But I grew up with DH

Prans, guily6669 and WiikeyHacker like this.
  6. 8BitWalugi

8BitWalugi Taiyohhhhhh!

Mar 22, 2008
    Australia
    Side 7

Peace Walker’s cutscenes weren’t done by Yoji Shinkawa though, Australian artist Ashley Wood was. I met him a few years back, he was fantastic to speak with​

Prans likes this.
  7. Prans
    OP

Prans Geek, gamer, human

pip Reporter
    Apr 22, 2012
    There itself.
    I mean the style was similar and it'd be interesting to have that adapted to the big screen

8. RedoLane

RedoLane GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 16, 2016
    Israel
    It was pretty clever to hear Ocelot(the original one, Patric Zimmerman) right after Snake's speech. I missed these guys.

Prans likes this.
  9. Lazyboss

Lazyboss GBAtemp Fan

Sep 26, 2017
    United Arab Emirates
    You're pretty good.

Prans likes this.
  10. TheMrIron2

TheMrIron2 Contributor

pip Contributor
    Aug 5, 2017
    Ireland
    Hayter may not be cast as Snake anymore, but in person he's so incredibly down to earth and he realises how much the Snake voice means to everyone and loves playing along with the fans. Great guy.

Edit: this also shows that the MGS Movie director has a clear passion for what he's doing, that's a good thing in my book

Prans likes this.
  11. WiikeyHacker

WiikeyHacker 8 Bit Natsumi

Aug 6, 2018
    United States
    N/A
    as long as the ass who did the resident evil live action movies is the director i'll give it a chance.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I hope it's cgi and not live action.

12. Prans
    OP

Prans Geek, gamer, human

pip Reporter
    Apr 22, 2012
    There itself.
    Vogt-Roberts is a proven Metal Gear fan. He fought to secure the position as director of the movie stating that he wants to make a movie worthy of the game's legacy that the fans deserve. He also included several MGS Easter eggs in his latest movie Kong Skull Island.

He also talks very passionately about the series and his vision for the movie. If anything, he'll try his best at a watchable movie adaptation. He might fail terribly at it or break the curse but I'm nonetheless interested in how it turns out. If you're interested, you can watch his recent interview about the whole thing here:

TheMrIron2 likes this.