Meta teases its next-gen headset in new videos with color passthrough

meta cambria.JPG

A couple of days ago, Meta, the company formerly known as Facebook, shared teaser trailers of its next-gen headset codenamed Project Cambria. In contrast to the company's previous headsets, the upcoming device won't just be a VR one but appears to also double as an MR headset as it features color passthrough as shown in the video below:

In addition to the video above, another video was shared showing CEO Mark Zuckerberg wearing the actual headset on (albeit blurred). It shows an in-house experience called The World Beyond that merges interactive virtual elements in the physical world through full color passthrough. A similar experience is also said to be available sometime soon on the Quest 2 through App Lab.

Details such as the final design, specs or price tag haven't been revealed at this time but Meta's Cambria Project headset is expected to launch sometime this year. But given that it is being termed as a "high-end VR headset" in the video above, it could be priced higher than the Meta Quest 2.

:arrow: SOURCE

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So wait, do the videos feature colour passthrough, or does the headset feature that?
Article title is ambiguous.
The headsets are supposed to feature colors, too. Even in passthrough mode.

While this is a great addition, I really fail to understand how one single feature is enough reason for this video to exist in the first place.

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
I'm not sure why anyone would want to sit about with a box on their head, when they can just take it off and be in the real world. Maybe it would be good for disabled people that worked from home but for the rest of us.....nah, I'd rather look at real people face to face than some made up pixel representation of what they think they should look like.

Reactions: Evilengine

Aheago

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The headsets are supposed to feature colors, too. Even in passthrough mode.

While this is a great addition, I really fail to understand how one single feature is enough reason for this video to exist in the first place.
I feel like this sums of VR headset announcements in general honestly

I’m still using my OG vive and have no complaints, especially since it seems like every “new headset” has maybe one or two things slightly better which makes things even more worthless seemingly. There are a handful of exceptions here but most/all VR headsets give a similar clean experience and are practically the same as their counterparts

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I love VR and think it has a bright future but I just don't get all this AR stuff. I don't see the appeal besides some business oriented use cases and even then I think that's a pretty niche market.

Also it looks way jankier than any VR game I've ever played and this is promotional footage?! Look at the hammer 55 seconds in on the linked Youtube clip. It's glitching around and looks jank as fuck.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: