OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Greece
Athens, Oct 9, 2012, Reuters:
Germany’s Angela Merkel arrived in Greece on her first visit since Europe’s debt crisis erupted here three years ago, braving protests to deliver a message of support - but no new money - to a nation hammered by recession and fighting to stay in the euro.

Thousands of Greeks defied a ban on protests, gathering in Syntagma square in central Athens as Merkel's plane touched down. Two protesters dressed in German military uniforms waved a red-black-and-white swastika flag and held out their arms in the Nazi salute.

Many Greeks blame Merkel for forcing painful cuts on Greece in exchange for two EU-IMF bailout packages totaling over 200 billion euros. Police have readied 6,000 officers, including anti-terrorist units and rooftop snipers, to provide security during the six-hour visit. German sites in the Greek capital, including the embassy and Goethe Institute, are under special protection.

Merkel was given the red carpet treatment and full military honors at Athens airport. Prime Minister Antonis Samaras greeted her with a handshake as she exited the German air force jet. A band played the German and Greek national anthems.
In the centre of Athens, the reception was less warm. On Syntagma square, banners read “Merkel out, Greece is not your colony” and “This is not a European Union, it's slavery”.

“We don't want her here. Merkel go home!,” said Maria Dimitriou, a 40-year-old unemployed woman who travelled to Athens from southern Greece to protest. “They’ve turned our lives into hell.” After steering clear of Greece for the past five years, Merkel decided to visit for several reasons. She wants to show support for Samaras, a fellow conservative, as he struggles to impose more cuts on a society fraying at the edges after five years of recession. She is expected to confirm her desire to keep Greece in the euro zone.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The Greeks have only them selfs to blame

Not exactly. When the Greece joined the Single Currency, the regulation of the EU on whether Greece by all accounts were lacklusture. Whilst the Greek governments of that era hold a lot of blame for playing with thier accounts, blame also has to be apportioned towards banks such as Goldman Sachs who helped fiddle the books. And the EU itself in regards to its regulation deserves blame. When the the Euro was formed, there were key conditions implemented to prevent a domino affect of recession. But these conditions were ignored, the most tragically funny example was with Germany. The Germans demanded a common agreement of annual budget deficits (around 3%). Germany than proceeded to break the exact conditions they wanted. The punishments given to them was really a mere slap on the wrist. The complete lack of willingness to sticking within the pre-agreed conditions and piss poor regulation has played a big role in the sovereign debt crisis. And event than there were big issues regarding the Euro which were seemingly ignored like how can you fiscal union without budgetary union?

When the Greece sovereign debts crisis hit the fan, there was a slow response. The permanent state of crisis of Greece and the seemingly new Greek debt agreement is ridiculed as not being enough and too little too late. And Greece looks like its going to get shitter, you can't have growth when investment is radically cut (no neo-Keynes policy) and taxes are increased (no consumer led recovery). Cutting deficits can only do so much, but Greece is just being forced to accept shitty bailout rather than being allowed to leave the Eurozone which is probably better for Greece. They can't because it could kill the Europ. Yet there were originally conditions in place to prevent this from happening.

Valwin

The Neautral Gamer
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Greeks have only them selfs to blame
if you knew or if you lived in GREECE, you would know what is going on here. so, don't talk if you don't know something, simple thing..

i may not live in Greece but i am interested in world economics and i read the happenings each week

is my opinion most of the blame is from Greece they need to learn that money is not some magical thing that comes from nowhere they should know that the cuts are needed here were i live cuts were also issue in time so it was not a painful but the Greeks thinks that can spend lots without repercussions

The Euro was a dumb idea that will destroy small country's that are dumb enough to join it such country's are Spain Italy Greece ect

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Greece needs to drop out of the the EU

I can't hope to match Emigre's analysis of the situation, so I won't even try.

Seems to me that the EU and Greece are in a pretty precarious position here. It always seems to be a matter of damned if they do, damned if they don't now.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
If they didn't keep smashing plates they wouldn't have to spend so much money replacing them (and would actually have money to spend on food to put on said plates)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse